• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier Heritage Tactical

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

What's the consensus on these scopes? I have a trade offer on one but, I'm not sure where to place the value. Also, I'm just not sure if I should move forward since Tangent Theta bought them out - will this cause issues if I need any warranty work. I vaguely recall some Premiers had issues? Unfortunately, I cannot recall or, find those comments & threads.

Thanks in advance!

AvsFan:confused:

After owning one I wouldn't buy another. They say they will be warrantied but who knows what the future holds. Several 3-15's have sold here recently for $1700-1800 and they sat for a few days. I'd probably use that as a baseline and give a little less trade value since you're taking something in you don't know the future of and probably don't really want.

After owning one I wouldn't buy another. They say they will be warrantied but who knows what the future holds. Several 3-15's have sold here recently for $1700-1800 and they sat for a few days. I'd probably use that as a baseline and give a little less trade value since you're taking something in you don't know the future of and probably don't really want.

Wow, thanks for the input...guy is telling me he purchased it for $3,500.00. I realize everything depreciates in value - however, 50% is a little too much for me.:(

I bought mine new for $2200. It's been a good optic. But prices are falling.

Glass is superb. I find it's the best glass I've owned, better than my USO, steiner, high end leupy.

If he really did pay $3500 for a 3-15 he's a sucker. More than likely though he's just tying to get out of the POS though. Even last year the street price was $2500 or less on the 3-15. When I bought mine brand new I gave $2000 shipped from the dealer.

Several 3-15's have sold here recently for $1700-1800 and they sat for a few days.

I didn't see those. That seems like a hell of a price to me.

So long as there is full warranty support, I consider ~$1900-2000 a good reasonable price on the 3-15s, and ~$2500 for the 5-25s...plus or minus a little depending on reticle and condition.

Seems to me the used Premier prices have been higher the last year or so. Two years ago you could score a 5-25 for ~$2200 or so. Lately, they've all been $2500-2800ish.

TT has made bold claims about their future intentions regarding warranty of Premier/Optronika branded products. However, they are under no legal obligation that I'm aware of to honor that warranty indefinitely. Considering the primary target demographic of the new TT scopes is currently satisfied Premier owners, it would be foolish to deny those people warranty. However, in 5 years, I wonder if they'll start to think that any Premier owner that was going to upgrade to a TT, would have already... At which point, what would they lose by discontinuing the Premier support?

It's a gamble.

On the other hand, it looks like Optronika/Minox is going to start building the old "Premiers" soon - so maybe the warranty support really will continue on forever.

My take is they break way too often for a scope that cost so much. This is why there are discounts built in to the secondary market. When they work, they are fantastic scopes.

Google "premier scope parallax problems" and see what you find.

Gent's,

What's the consensus on these scopes? I have a trade offer on one but, I'm not sure where to place the value. Also, I'm just not sure if I should move forward since Tangent Theta bought them out - will this cause issues if I need any warranty work. I vaguely recall some Premiers had issues? Unfortunately, I cannot recall or, find those comments & thread
AvsFan:confused:

Forgive me If I ask you but:
What were you trading for this scope?
Was it a 5-25x56 or 3-15x50?
Just to see the value on both parties

Wow. Just wow. The level of derp in this thread is amazing. Please google the parallax problems with Premiers. They had some issues with the 5-25's and they were all warrantied and taken care of. Now google the problems with the 3-20 S&B's. I know of 4 myself that weren't working right out of the box. Every company has lemons every once in a while. Armament Technologies who owns Tangent Theta and formerly Premier is a great company and if they say they will warranty them, then you can take it to the bank. Look at S&B new warranty policy while you are at it. The Premier is an excellent scope and will serve you very well should you choose to get one. I have owned several and had to have warranty work done on a couple, but overall, I would buy them again.

Bill

Wow. Just wow. The level of derp in this thread is amazing. Please google the parallax problems with Premiers. They had some issues with the 5-25's and they were all warrantied and taken care of. Now google the problems with the 3-20 S&B's. I know of 4 myself that weren't working right out of the box. Every company has lemons every once in a while. Armament Technologies who owns Tangent Theta and formerly Premier is a great company and if they say they will warranty them, then you can take it to the bank. Look at S&B new warranty policy while you are at it. The Premier is an excellent scope and will serve you very well should you choose to get one. I have owned several and had to have warranty work done on a couple, but overall, I would buy them again.

Bill

THIS IS A SNIPERS HIDE THREAD LINK:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...icles-fixed-their-parallax-binding-issue.html

Last edited:

Yes, they have. The new production from Optronika does not have the issue that the former 5-25's did. And also you might want to understand that reading is fundamental. He was looking at the 3-15, not the 5-25 so the parallax issue is a moot point, correct? But that being said I have bought 2 myself and sold dozens of others through our shop that was a dealer for Premier that did not have parallax issues on the Optronika produced scopes.

Bill

Yes, they have. The new production from Optronika does not have the issue that the former 5-25's did. And also you might want to understand that reading is fundamental. He was looking at the 3-15, not the 5-25 so the parallax issue is a moot point, correct? But that being said I have bought 2 myself and sold dozens of others through our shop that was a dealer for Premier that did not have parallax issues on the Optronika produced scopes.

Bill

So what you are saying is some of them have problems, some of them don't. Can we get a list of serial number ranges on the good ones vs the bad?

As to the "reading is fundamental" did you read post #3 in the thread I linked to?

Thanks for the insight guys...that's the thread I remember outlining the Premier issues. I just couldn't locate it - that just saved me a lot of potential headaches if I moved forward with the trade.

AvsFan:-/

So what you are saying is some of them have problems, some of them don't. Can we get a list of serial number ranges on the good ones vs the bad?

As to the "reading is fundamental" did you read post #3 in the thread I linked to?

Yes, I've read that thread completely. The 3-15 haven't had the parallax issues in several years, and the 5-25's that were produced by Optronika and have Optronika on the eyepiece did not have this problem. I do not have a serial number range for you. I am sure you can call Armament Tech and find out though.

My question to you is have you ever even owned a Premier or are you talking about something that people have posted on the internet and just thought you would jump pn the bandwagon and comment on? Just curious...

Bill

Yes, I have owned a premier a 3-15 back in 2010 that didn't like holding zero and have had many friends that owned them as well and my direct observations comport with Frank's assessment. I now have many friends that no longer own them.

The few that did keep them are very happy with them (except for the guy who just swapped out scope rings, just sent him the same link)- as I said orignially - when they work, they are fantastic scopes. I wish the new ones cost $3500 and I would condsider buying.

Yes, I've read that thread completely. The 3-15 haven't had the parallax issues in several years, and the 5-25's that were produced by Optronika and have Optronika on the eyepiece did not have this problem. I do not have a serial number range for you. I am sure you can call Armament Tech and find out though.

My question to you is have you ever even owned a Premier or are you talking about something that people have posted on the internet and just thought you would jump pn the bandwagon and comment on? Just curious...

Bill

Here's photographic proof....

Good enough. I have sent a few back in the last 3 years and have since gone back to Nightforce, but not because of the problems, rather because I like Nightforce's business practices and products. I just think its unfair to bag on Premier without quantifying it when compared to other top brands. I will say that after I got my scopes back, they were perfect. The customer service was great and while it sucks to have to send them in for repair, I understand it. I cannot say the same for S&B.

Bill

People are still caught up with the problems with Premiers from many years ago. That was fixed quickly. None of my Premiers ever exhibited any problems, from the 3-15s to 5-25s to 3-15 light tacticals.

Oh and next time someone has one for sale at $1700, can someone PM me? :p I'd love to pick one up at that ridiculous price.

To clear the muddy waters, it was the first generation Premiers that had the Parallax binding issues. I know, I had one. All my current 3-15's that are Gen 2 and Gen 3 have no issues with them. The 5-25's I had were the latest generation Premiers, and none of them had issues except for a slighly canted reticle that was quickly repaired by Paul at the repair center in Viginia.

Typical internet trash that gets regurgitated, and is made out to be a bigger problem then it really is.

As hk dave said, also include me in that PM exchange on those $1700 Premier scopes. At those prices, you can't go wrong.

I have a few Premier 5-25 and 3-15. The only problem I had was a O ring started to come out of the elevation turret. Sent it to Paul he went through the whole scope and replaced the O ring Shipped it back. I really like my Premiers. I found they were the perfect optic for what I wanted.

People are still caught up with the problems with Premiers from many years ago. That was fixed quickly. None of my Premiers ever exhibited any problems, from the 3-15s to 5-25s to 3-15 light tacticals.

Mine didn't have any parallax binding issues. The problem with mine were the stupid ass knobs. No matter what I did they would slip off my zero. I hated the damn things. The new TT design appears to fix that which is what should have been done a long time ago. Aside from the and the parts from nunya creating reliability issues they had great potential. Those were my two only issues with mine. Had they addressed them and kept the price at $2000-2500 I'd have one.

I really liked the one I recently sold. Never had an issue with it and it's was every bit as good optically than the S&B that replaced it. The only reason I sold it for the Schmidt was the Premier was not correct for my M40A3. My vote is buy with confidence. And on the $1700 premiers...check Gunbroker religiously. That's how I got mine.

Mine didn't have any parallax binding issues. The problem with mine were the stupid ass knobs. No matter what I did they would slip off my zero. I hated the damn things. The new TT design appears to fix that which is what should have been done a long time ago. Aside from the and the parts from nunya creating reliability issues they had great potential. Those were my two only issues with mine. Had they addressed them and kept the price at $2000-2500 I'd have one.

I hear you on that price. At that price id probably only own Premier.

I have owned a PR 5-25 since 2008 and have never had any issues. I agree with some of the comments above, every bit as good as my S&B 5-25 PM II optically, better turrets than the S&B and the Gen 2 XR reticle is the best for me and my type of shooting. Buy with confidence!