• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier Reticles 3-15 useable at low power?

utahcybercowboy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2008
Utah, Sandy
I am thinking hard about getting the PR 3-15 to put on my DPMS SASS. I am curious at how quickly one can make out the crosshairs on this scope at low power. Anyone know where you can see pics of the reticle at low and high power. I am looking at getting this with the gen 2 mildot.

Re: Premier Reticles 3-15 useable at low power?

In my experience, one generally needs to have the scope dialed down to low power in order to get an adequate field of view for a target which is relatively close.

Given that, the main crosshairs are what is mostly needed, since the question of using holdoffs is pretty much moot, and there is no problem using the main crosshairs at low powers. In fact, at at 3.4-4 power, you can basically just use the scope tube as a large ghost-ring sight.

I had a Leupold 3.5-10X40M3 with a Premier Gen II reticle, and it pretty much stayed on 10 power all the time. A Leupold 6.5-20X50M1 with that reticle was once used on 6.5 power on a target which was less than 30 yards away. It worked.

In my (very amateur
wink.gif
) opinion a very low power like 3X is useful for very rapid fire at close range (< 100 m), even more if the targets are moving. But it largely wasted on a heavy bolt action rifle that probably never will be fired this way.
For me a good zoom for a heavy bolt action is 4-16 or larger magnification.

Probaly the premier scope has the 3-15 magnification range (nominally, doesn't seem to be true range according to their own specs) because the USMC SSDS specs wanted a "jack or all trades scope", something that could be used on a semi auto or bolt action 308, or a 50 BMG. The huge elevation available on this scope does not make a lot of sense for precision shooting at extreme long range when coupled with the 15X magnification.

You can make out the reticle pretty well at 3-4x, but the dots and hashes can't really be seen too well. Doesn't matter much as the distances where 3-4x is needed generally don't require holds.

IMO, the Gen 2 mildot is much better at 3x than the XR. The reticle is symmetrical, the thick lines give you a centering point of reference, and the floating crosshair appears as a tiny dot.

Just my .02

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO, the Gen 2 mildot is much better at 3x than the XR. The reticle is symmetrical, the thick lines give you a centering point of reference, and the floating crosshair appears as a tiny dot.

Just my .02

Scott

</div></div>

And if you turn on illumination you have a pretty good aim point with the Gen II, whereas the XR creates a bit of a jumble of light.

Premier Gen II at 3X:

PICT0122.JPG

In very low light conditions, with the illumination cranked, the center does act like a red dot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Premier Gen II at 3X:

In very low light conditions, with the illumination cranked, the center does act like a red dot. </div></div>

Thanks for the picture. At what magnification do most people shoot movers at? I am having enough trouble with stationary targets but eventually I would like to learn how to shoot movers and do not know what optics would work best.

Thanks,

I find myself shooting on 10x allot during comps when shooting multiple targets at multiple distances, especially when its under stress. 3-15 gives you everything you need and power selection is purely user preference. As for a reticle, i still prefer the Gen2 over everything.

The best way to learn how to shoot a mover is to practice shooting one. then you can pick the best power for the FOV/hold you want and bang away..

Whatever you do, this is one kick butt scope that i wont be parting with any time soon..

For multiple target/distance, movers, etc, I find myself between 10-12x. I was out doing some drills from 100-600 last weekend and the XR reticle still proved quite usuable at 10x. Made for easy holdoffs in the stiff wind.