• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier Reticles Hunter Held One in My Hand Today

Re: Premier Reticles Hunter Held One in My Hand Today

David, I may have missed this.. are they going to be FFP?

Also, why lower the quality? What may stop many people buying a PH is just the weight.. can´t this be sorted out with a 30 mm tube but keeping the quality glass and adjustments, etc..??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David, I may have missed this.. are they going to be FFP?

Also, why lower the quality? What may stop many people buying a PH is just the weight.. can´t this be sorted out with a 30 mm tube but keeping the quality glass and adjustments, etc..?? </div></div>

I must have missed the part about lower quality. The op stated he thought the glass was the same as the PH and that they tested the adjustments and they were precise.

The optical system <span style="font-weight: bold">is</span> the same, meaning the same lenses go into both scopes. The only difference at all, optically, is the diameter of the focus lens which doesn't need to be as big due to the smaller adjustment range. In fact, the whole erector system is identical, so the very same erector could be used to either build a 3-15x Hunter or a 3-15x Heritage for the USMC (so of course the Hunter is FFP, too, and the Gen2 and Gen2XR reticles are available in addition to an A7 hunting reticle).

The difference is the "shell" and features, lighter tube, smaller knobs with less adjustment per rev., non-locking illumination dial, no diopter lockring (and thus slimmer ocular shell). Full features on the knobs would raise weight, bulk and cost, which would be kind of defeating the purpose. Also, the clicks are spaced further apart with this design. Keep in mind that this scope is mainly aimed at demanding hunters, so probably 90% of the users will never even get into the second rev. of the knobs. Yet, you can get a .308 all the way to 1000 yards. I'm not aware of any FFP scope with similar features and quality that approaches the hunting market with a no-bullshit attitude from the tactical side, so to speak. It sure doesn't replace the Heritage, but for many users it'll offer it's full optical quality and a lot of it's functionality with less weight and cost.

Boy this scope is going to really fit a niche for me on a couple rifles. Still my favorite reticle is on my Premier, just fantastic news that the same reticle will be on these new ones.

best place to buy these scopes NOW?

This observation is probably wasted on quality riflescope optics like PR's, but I think one key flaw in most riflescopes is the policy of combining the focus adjustment with the parallax adjustment.

While the two are related and can be combined with varying degrees of sucess, they are in fact different, and when they are not correlated properly at the factory, problems can follow. I mean problems that force a shooter to adjust for parallax or adjust for focus, but getting both is not possible. Because focus is obvious and parallax is less so, many many users focus a sharp image and miss anyway, with an inconsitency that is irritatingly baffling, especially if the user is not well acquainted with the subject of parallax. When the they are combined and <span style="font-style: italic">wrong</span>, that combination leaves the user with no way to alter the correlation and solve these problems.

I think that parallax and focus need to be broken out into separate adjustments, and that the concept of parallax needs to be well explained in the accompanying literature.

Greg

Thanks David.

It´s gonna be an awesome scope for a hunting rig.

Even if the elevation adj. is not as huge as in the heritage...well one of the mil reticles will help¡¡

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This observation is probably wasted on quality riflescope optics like PR's, but I think one key flaw in most riflescopes is the policy of combining the focus adjustment with the parallax adjustment.

While the two are related and can be combined with varying degrees of sucess, they are in fact different, and when they are not correlated properly at the factory, problems can follow. I mean problems that force a shooter to adjust for parallax or adjust for focus, but getting both is not possible. Because focus is obvious and parallax is less so, many many users focus a sharp image and miss anyway, with an inconsitency that is irritatingly baffling, especially if the user is not well acquainted with the subject of parallax. When the they are combined and <span style="font-style: italic">wrong</span>, that combination leaves the user with no way to alter the correlation and solve these problems.

I think that parallax and focus need to be broken out into separate adjustments, and that the concept of parallax needs to be well explained in the accompanying literature.

Greg </div></div>

Greg,

I agree with you 100%.I don't know if there is a solution to the problem you described but I'd sure like to know if it's possible to have focus and parallax separate.

It's such a interesting idea you should make a post about that subject in it's own thread.

Make an MOA/MOA version of this light tactical (with 1 MOA reticle increments) and my USO will go up for sale!

Higher glass quality, 24oz, and under 2k?.....SOLD!!

I have what i consider a light tactical rifle. My personal opinion is that guys build rifles that are way too heavy than is necessary for their intended purposes (ie comps/hunting). My gun alone (no optics) weighs 8.5 lbs as is and is easily capable of 1,000 yds with all the ergonomic goodies. I compete and hunt with it and i don't feel i am at a disadvantage over the guys with heavier rigs. This light tactical scope would shave another 10 oz off my current set up and have better glass to boot. I just hope they come out with this before this hunting season.

Steve123;

I don't really feel comfortable starting topics that criticise the optics industry. If enough forum members concur with your view, I wouldn't mind someone else quoting my post in a topic they started on their own.

Greg

Anybody actually own one fo these light tacticals? It may be just what I am looking for.