• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier zero stop?

vonbalkenbush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I've done plenty of research, and know how the lever-lock system works on Premiers turrets to zero the elevation turret, but is that also how the zero-stop on the elevation is set? If not, can anyone tell me how the zero-stop works on the Premiers?
Currently running a Razor HD and love the the zero-stop feature on it, I can't get lost now on my elevation and I won't buy another scope without it.
I'm looking at upgrading now for various reasons, can someone chime in on this?

Thanks

-SBS

Re: Premier zero stop?

I am just curious as to what the upgrade you are looking to get out of the premier? What are the various reasons. I am looking at both and would live to get into the Premier but not sure if the extra $1k is worth it to me.

Well, a few things actually. Mainly better resolution and more field of view, I'll also be able to get out to 1K in one rotation of the elevation knob. Additionally, the eye box (eye relief) on the Razor is really tight and unforgiving at anything above 10x and the "Christmas tree" holdovers are a bit unusable with the optic set on anything less than 20x, IMHO. Not that there is anything wrong with my Razor, it is far and away better than the MK 4's I have and I like the features better than the older Nightforce I have. I just want the best, and for me that's probably going to be a Premier at this point. I don't care about the extra dough I'm gonna have to let go of.

-SBS

SBS,

the knob stops a couple clicks below zero, so when you have sighted in your reifle and set the scale on the knob to zero, the zero stop is also "set" automatically. Mechanically, there is a steel pin in the bottom uf the elevation cap that hits a corresponding pin (or the double turn mechanism in the DT version) in the elevation saddle and makes the cap stop at a certain position. This happens a couple clicks below the marked zero on the knob so you have some room for correction without having to use the lever lock. To get to zero, just dial all the way until the hard stop and back until the first heavier click (MTC).

This question has come up a couple of times and I still don't know if I'm explaining this the right way. It is such a simple mechanism that there really isn't much to explain, the need for explanation only comes from peoples familiarity with mechanisms that require some sophisticated procedure for "setting up" the zero stop. There is none here. Sight in your rifle, open the lever lock, turn your knob to zero and close the lever lock. The cap will stop rotating after the marked zero on the scale by design. That's it.

Wow! That was a great explanation, thank you, and I understand it perfectly from a mechanical standpoint. Sounds like they really made it simple, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks again!

-SBS