• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Premium Factory Ammo Comparison

meestermeetch

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
I usually shoot Berger 140s in the factory loaded Berger ammo with lapua cases. That’s not currently available.

I have found a reliable supply of Berger factory loaded Lapua case ammo shooting Lapua Scenar 120s. I have shot it and it’s sub MOA, with similar ES (>25) and SD (~10) numbers.

My application is PRS/NRL, I don’t reload and I like selling the brass to offset ammo costs.

Not many people shoot these bullets in PRS, I am wondering why? The Scenars clocked at 3010 FPS and per my GeoBallistics, have fairly similar performance numbers.

Will the faster 120s be harder on the barrel?

Does anyone have a trued BC number and length since it doesn’t seem to be in my GeoBallistics “library”?

is there anything I am overlooking before I go buy a bunch of these?

thank you

MM

And right now brownells is showing the 140 I’m stock. And on sale @$25/ box.

You’re my hero. Thank you for posting that. I bought two cases a week ago and paid $32 a box for it.

Reactions: 4dds
I had to pick up a couple boxes to try again. Last time I tried them they wouldn’t come close to the 130’s in my gun but I at least needed some more brass. I figured I’d give them another shot for that price.

holy hell, they are sayinng it is discontinued... i wonder if theyll be loading their other bullets in the next batch...

Berger will be re-releasing these with large primer pockets. Part of some military sniper contract stuff I believe. Nothing will change, it will just have large primers to work with varying firing pin sizes.

Will the 130grain be re-released also? My gun seemed to prefer it over the 140’s but I’ve bought some more 140’s to test again.

Berger will be re-releasing these with large primer pockets. Part of some military sniper contract stuff I believe. Nothing will change, it will just have large primers to work with varying firing pin sizes.

For me, this is good news. I was piercing primer pockets on factory ammo. Berger told me to measure the throat on my rifle and get with them to see if maybe my rifle was not throated properly for their bullet.

I shoot factory ammo out of factory rifles so I don't have reloading equipment to check or measure my throat. I found out that my firing pin and the small rifle primer were possibly the culprit in piercing primers.