• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Prep work to pain B&C Stock

Djstorm100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
I hope this is the right section.

What is the prep work in this? I have a black one and want to paint it OD krylon. Also what is something that removes paint pretty easy?

Thanks
Dustin

Removes spray paint?

Denatured alcohol, acetone, paint thinner.....

I would do 220-320 if you want to get rid of it with sandpaper.

Prep work that I do when painting is: Remove everything you can, give it a good degreasing-- flush with denatured alcohol/acetone, wipe with an alcohol soaked rag. Tape off what you don't want painted (bedding if it's been bedded, butt-pad etc..), then put some latex gloves on, and give it another thorough degreasing. Hang it up and paint the stock and whatever other parts that need it, let it sit for 24-48 hours, then check it over and unmask it if everything looks good.

I did this earlier this year on a B&C that was really scratched up. My process:
1) scuff sanding - not to remove all existing paint, but to let new paint adhere
2) thorough cleaning / degreasing with water based household cleaner-degreaser and plenty of hot water
3) dry
4) paint with spray can - I think I used Rustoleum painter's touch "also bonds to plastic", but it might have been Krylon Fusion (both brands work fine)
5) after fully drying per can instructions, top coat with Rustoleum matte clear for durability (note - the matte clear is still not as flat as most dead flat camo paints, including the Krylon and Rustoleum brands. Decide if you want more durability or the flattest possible look.)

It worked well for me, and I've used a similar process on multiple pieces of AR furniture, also with good results. My experience is that it holds up well to most ordinary use, but not to persistent rubbing from metal parts like sling swivels or charging handles.

IDK, I never sanded my stocks, just degreased and hit them with Krylon Fusion.

I had some Duracoat Trustrip and that works great to clean.

After that was gone, good ol' dawn and water, then dry out.

If you go with Krylon, it drys pretty quick but does not cure for a few days. Do not let any hand or face grease come in contact with the stock for 3 day, or it can get tacky in that area.

Some stocks I have used Rustoleum texture spray (its very fine texture like fine sand), that stuff dries in a day and half.