• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

preparetion to join the army

brammm

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Belgium
Hi all,

i'm Bram 15 years old and live in Belgium. When i'm +- 20 years i want to join the Belgium army, become a para-commando (our elite unit) and become a sniper. But, my condition isn't very good. Does somoenone knows a training program where you can go from a litle bit condition and power to elite unit level?

Bram

Ps: sorry for my bad English but it isnt my first language

Re: preparetion to join the army

Brammm, having five years to train is great as most people only start with months and think they are going to make it. My advice would be to look at Cross Fit or P90X and lots of cardio (I am talking hours of cardio - I do long distance biking and race Metric Century and Century rides that take 3-6 hours to complete). Since you live in Belgium one great thing to do is get into long distance bicycling or any cardio that gives you long endurance cardio. May be getting into Triathlon events.

What most elite units are looking for is long endurance and a deep determination to get through rough times. The bottom line is all the events that you will have to do to get into the Elite units comes down to your ability to continue where most men will fail and give up. And, that is what long endurance events will give you. That drive not to quit under extreme conditions.

Welcome to the Hide as there is lots to learn on this site. My advice it is to not to worry about becoming a sniper as that will come with opportunites later. Work at being the best soldier you can be.

Bramm - you did not where in Belgium you are, but there are several CrossFit affiliates in your country. Here is a link to CrossFit Brussels: http://www.crossfitbrussels.be/

At 15, you are probably still growing. An exercise program geared toward cardio and body weight exercises will allow you to build yourself into a strong and healthy individual without risking serious injury. At a minimum, you should work on you ability to so pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups and air squats. You should be able to run 1 - 3 miles at a steady pace without stopping. Crossfit or P90X will help you get there.

I would imagine that the military units you are interested in have some basic information posted on the internet with their minimum requirements. If so, those should be your goals.

Start small and slow - you have 3-5 years to do this.

Determination is going to be your best friend if you want to get into an elite group in the military.

First things first, start eating healthy NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, but now. If you don't then your likely to keep putting it off more and that's counterproductive to your goal.
Second, get a good pair of running shoes if you don't allready have some and go jog/run every day gradually increasing your endurance as you get stronger.
Third, cross train. You'll need to be able to swim well in any elite branch of military.
Lastly, pay attention in school and keep your grades up! No military wants a dumb soldier doing their work.

A great thing to do to become more physically strong is to join teams at your school like Cross Country, Track & Field, and Swimming. In addition to that the system P90X is an amazing system with alot of success stories. I've not heard of one displeased customer that didn't lack determination to keep going. I don't know what requirements your military has but whatever they may be shoot for the highest score possible. Pushups, pull-ups, crunches/sit-ups, are all great places to start. And don't be discouraged if you can't do many right off the bat. You're only fifteen, im only sixteen, and if either one of us believes that we can't make it then we will not. But if we keep our determination and keep pushing foreward with our goals then eventually we WILL make it. Never lose hope and you'll do allright.

And keep a "NEVER quit" aditude(sp?) with all of these things and as a general rule through life and you'll do just fine. Start small and work your way up.

Hope this helps,
Dylan

The best training program there is, it's called quit being lazy, and run, pull ups, and situps.

Hi all
thanks for the replys. I'm going to go buying running shoes today. And i will start with pull ups, push ups, sit ups, running and swimming (and living healthy ofcourse).

Regards,
Bram

phyiscal is the easy part, where most fail is lack of mental fortitude
seen alot of big fit guys fail coz they cant get their brain around training n quit

I know that the mentally part ist the most difficult, but if you're physical in good condition, it's already a little bit easier (easyer?) .

regards,
Bram

You have to be physically fit in order to be accepted. If your not then it doesn't matter how strong your mind is. You need both

P.S. yes it is "easier" not "easyer"
wink.gif