• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

press and dies

wburke2010

Minuteman
Jan 4, 2011
Wylie, Tx
www.taylorrentalgarland.com
Just wondering what kind of press yall are using. thinking about getting a new one. I am currently using a lee single stage press and have some lee dies and a few rcbs. Have been looking at the rcbs presses and saw one the other day that i cant remember the name but the lever was in the center of the press seems like you can get more repetable actions.
thanks
walter

Re: press and dies

Rockchucker press.

I bump shoulders with RCBS FL dies, neck with Lee collet and seat with Redding comp seaters.

Simple set up but it works very well.

I have a Hornady single stage and a Rockchucker. Much prefer the Rockchucker, cast iron and feels like a real tool. I have only Hornady die sets for my single stage presses (Dillon dies in my progressive), because I prefer their bullet seating stem, and I can't shoot the difference in more expensive dies.

hey guys, on this note, do you all know if the basic RCBS Partner Press can do full-length resizing on .308? I have read it both ways, that it will, but that you shouldn't. Anyone with experience with this press have any input? How about the Hornady Lock N Load Classic?

I'm kind of on a tight budget and I know I want a single stage that is decent. I am such a dumb ass because everyone on the Hide has such advanced knowledge of reloading and I know squat. I focused more on shooting and my gear than reloading, but now I am honing in on it. So, please bare with me as I'll have much, much more!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bcuzisedso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Forester Co-Ax...it is one of the best single stage presses out there. </div></div>
Coax is a great press and you do not need shell holders.

I neck-size with Redding S-type dies
Full size(auto-loader) with a Forster Full-length sizing die
seat with Forster Micrometer

*You do need to use proprietary Forster die rings

I use a Forster CoAx and I agree that it's the Ferrari of single stage presses. Die changes are FAST! Snap in-snap out. I have only ever primed with the press, and I've been reloading for 4 years. Priming is a no-brainer, can't screw it up, it's perfect every time. It also requires less force to FL size because of it's leverage, I used a friend's RCBS Rockchucker once and thought "What a piece of shit", that's what a snob Forster has made of me. It's more expensive than other single stages, but the speed of changing dies alone makes it worth it to me. No shell holders to change in and out either unless you load something odd or with a really large rim, like my 45-70. No big deal, I change out to the larger jaws.

Only downside for me about the Forster is that it really is best with their lock rings on your dies because of the way the lock ring interacts with the die slot. Their lock rings cost $3+ a piece. Not a big deal if you buy Forster dies, which I like.

I also favor Redding for dies for rifle, but I own just about every brand and they ALL make good ammo. For pistol I really only use Lee dies, as there rings fit the slot fine, and I like their factory crimp die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wburke2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">saw one the other day that i cant remember the name but the lever was in the center of the press </div></div>

Must have been a Forster Co-ax.
That would be a good choice.

I use the Redding T7 press and have been very happy with it.

Redding Type S F/L bushing die with competition seating die

Depends on what you do.
I have never used my 550B.
I very seldom use my Rockchucker.
I use my Co-ax press all the time.

I load 60 different cartridges, a few here and there.

Some guy who only does one cartridge is going to be very different.

Forster co-ax. If you are going to FL size with Forster dies, it would be 'better', if you used their lube.

wburke, I use both the latest versions of the Forster Co-Ax and Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock Single Stage Presses to load for my .223 Rem and .243 Win. In my opinion they are both excellent single stage presses and fun to use. If I were to load up 20 rounds on each press and all components of those rounds were loaded with identical precision, I doubt very much I would be able to tell which rounds came from which of the presses by looking at targets shot on a calm day under identical conditions.

Both pressed have excellent spent primer removal systems.The apparent shorter throw of the Forster also seems more convenient. However, my favorite of the two is the Forster because it feels so much smoother and precise. Use of the Forster adds to my enjoyment of the whole reloading process. If one uses the Lee Lock Ring Eliminator bushing system, both presses seem to share equal convenience in changing dies.

As it now stands, I use the Forster for all reloading operations except pulling bullets. The Lee press always has my Hornady Lock-N-Load bullet puller mounted for immediate use.

Unlike some others, I prefer both the Hornady and Lyman die rings to those made by Forster for use in the Co-Ax press.

The cost of the Co-Ax is almost 3X that of the Lee and one must decide if the added expense is worth it. In my case it was and continues to be so.

Hope this provides some useful info.

Good Luck.

John_M

Yeah i just found the one that i saw in cabelas and it is the foster co ax press. I played around with it in the store the other day and it just seems like it would be a lot more consistent and easier to use than my lee single stage is. Looks like that is going on the Christmas list.

On another note what kind of case trimmer are y'all using my buddy has the rcbs power trimmer and i was looking into that i just don't like the fact that it does not have a on and off switch on it and you have to unplug it after each use.
thanks
walter

I use a Forster manual hand crank trimmer and it does a good job, very consistent. BUT... If I had known I'd be doing this much shooting and reloading, and therefore trimming I would have bought a powered unit. This hand crank will wear you the hell out. Gonna look into getting the cordless drill adapter for it. Most manual trimmers can be rigged to use a cordless drill.

FAL: <span style="font-style: italic">"I'm kind of on a tight budget and I know I want a single stage that is decent. I am such a dumb ass because everyone on the Hide has such advanced knowledge of reloading and I know squat."</span>

No contest, get a Lee Classic Cast. It's a cast iron/steel single stage that sells quite reasonably. It's as precisely made and as strong as anything in it's class and is actually a better press than my highly touted Rock Chucker. Often sounds like those who insist their favorite is "best" do so because that's what they use, not that they actually have much experience with others of the same design. Fact is, loud proclimations aside, if two presses look (nearly) the same they will work the same.

Be patient and believe me, none of us were born knowing any more than you. Most of us agonize over brands much more than is justified. The limitation of what a reloader can produce is much more dependant on him than the color of his tools; a good loader can do good work on any press but a poor loader can't do very well on anything. Being a good reloader takes learning and learning takes time and experience - and a lot of thinking about what you're doing.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Forster manual hand crank trimmer and it does a good job, very consistent. BUT... If I had known I'd be doing this much shooting and reloading, and therefore trimming I would have bought a powered unit. This hand crank will wear you the hell out. Gonna look into getting the cordless drill adapter for it. Most manual trimmers can be rigged to use a cordless drill. </div></div>

I bought the lyman hand trimmer becuase i needed something to trim my 204 ruger loads and there is not one by lee in the hand trimmers unless you turn down and trim another size. Not wanting to do that i bought the lyman and wished i never did. It is not easy at all to trim the cases and the chuck sucks at holding the casing. It is pretty much a good paper weight holding down the target on top of my reloading bench now...
walter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Forster CoAx and I agree that it's the Ferrari of single stage presses. Die changes are FAST! Snap in-snap out. I have only ever primed with the press, and I've been reloading for 4 years. Priming is a no-brainer, can't screw it up, it's perfect every time. It also requires less force to FL size because of it's leverage, I used a friend's RCBS Rockchucker once and thought "What a piece of shit", that's what a snob Forster has made of me. It's more expensive than other single stages, but the speed of changing dies alone makes it worth it to me. No shell holders to change in and out either unless you load something odd or with a really large rim, like my 45-70. No big deal, I change out to the larger jaws.

Only downside for me about the Forster is that it really is best with their lock rings on your dies because of the way the lock ring interacts with the die slot. Their lock rings cost $3+ a piece. Not a big deal if you buy Forster dies, which I like.

I also favor Redding for dies for rifle, but I own just about every brand and they ALL make good ammo. For pistol I really only use Lee dies, as there rings fit the slot fine, and I like their factory crimp die. </div></div>

Oh the irony between your post and your sig line!.....I like my rockchucker just fine btw. Never been in enough of a hurry loading that I needed a quick change die, although I do like the ability to swap toolheads on my 550Bs...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saito</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Forster CoAx and I agree that it's the Ferrari of single stage presses. Die changes are FAST! Snap in-snap out. I have only ever primed with the press, and I've been reloading for 4 years. Priming is a no-brainer, can't screw it up, it's perfect every time. It also requires less force to FL size because of it's leverage, I used a friend's RCBS Rockchucker once and thought "What a piece of shit", that's what a snob Forster has made of me. It's more expensive than other single stages, but the speed of changing dies alone makes it worth it to me. No shell holders to change in and out either unless you load something odd or with a really large rim, like my 45-70. No big deal, I change out to the larger jaws.

I also favor Redding for dies for rifle, but I own just about every brand and they ALL make good ammo. For pistol I really only use Lee dies, as there rings fit the slot fine, and I like their factory crimp die. </div></div>

Oh the irony between your post and your sig line!.....I like my rockchucker just fine btw. Never been in enough of a hurry loading that I needed a quick change die, although I do like the ability to swap toolheads on my 550Bs...</div></div>

I knew even a great Spell-dini such as myself would let one slip by eventually. You quoted it, so I cant even edit it now, very shrewd you bastard.
smile.gif
Oh well. I also didn't mean any offense about anyone's equipment, just giving my spoiled point of view.

To the comments about Lyman's trimmer I'll add that the Lyman was my first trimmer, and I took it back to the store within a week and went and bought a Forster. I didn't like the chuck, and couldn't seem to get consistent results, although I didn't have any experience with trimmers, I knew it just wasn't right.

Some of us really like Lyman's Universal trimmer chuck because it's univerasal AND it pulls the case head hard against a steel stud. It shares one minor 'problem' with all case trimmers that use a pilot to center the case mouth against the cutter; cutting/trimming metal always raises burrs on both sides of the cut. The inside brass burr on a mouth against the pilot can get large enough to restrict cutting the last few thou off. Simply pulling the shaft/pilot out of the case will turn the burr enough it can then be be cut properly with a final few turns.

Used correctly, any trimmer with a pilot can do good work but the Wilson trimmers have a whole different holding and cutting design. It has no case pilot so it's easy to get the correct length with no extra effort.

I use a Lyman Crusher 2 single stage, a Dillon 450, and a Dillon 550. They all have their good and bad tendencies but in the end I put together some decent ammo and thats what matters.