• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Press for 22-250 through 300 Win mag

dan25

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
I am new to reloading and am looking making my first purchase of a press. I want to stick with a single stage and will mainly be reloading for a custom AJ Brown 300 win mag. I would also like the abilty to reload from 22-250 through 300 win mag. I am considering the Forster Co-ax press and the Lee Classic Cast press. Is the Co-ax worth paying 3 times as much as the Lee. I want to create quality, just not sure if the Forster is worth the money. Any information would be well appreciated. Thanks for helping me snipershide.

Update. I can get any Redding press and anything in the catalog 1/2 off. I won a ticket at a raffle. I plan on getting dies. Would I be best getting one of their presses? Is the boss and big boss a good press. It doesn't look like I will be able to find a Co-ax.

Last edited:
quality components and dies are more important than the press, buy the press you can afford and then the best dies.

one thing to keep in mind is the overall opening and stroke of the press. I have a few presses. I usually use my rcbs rockchucker 2(part of the rcbs master kit) it can be a PIA for magnum rounds as it is too small to move primed rounds with bullets in the case directly to the shell holder. I would look into a redding with the larger opening if you wish to do alot of magnum size rounds.
A great press that I have is the redding t7 but it is a bigger investment than ither you mention

"I am considering the Forster Co-ax press and the Lee Classic Cast press. Is the Co-ax worth paying 3 times as much as the Lee. I want to create quality, just not sure if the Forster is worth the money."

Any press would be fine for the small case but you will appreciate the strength of all iron/steel press with the .300. There's no difference in the quality of ammo that can be assembled with any press, that's dependant on the dies, components and the user's skill. If any press actually had an advantage in quality of reload we would all know and agree; we have lots of personal favorites but there's no such agreement!

What we're paying for with high cost single stage presses like the Coax and Redding Ultramag are user features and slightly higher leverage plus a few uncommon things like the 'straight out' lever and loosely held dies of the Coax that appeal to some but not others, etc. If YOU like them, they are "worth it" to YOU; otherwise, no. Most of us prefer the features and better ergonomics of conventional presses like the Hornady, Lyman, RCBS RC, Redding Boss and Lee's Classic Cast. Of those, the CC has the larger frame, best spent primer catcher, only adjustable lever of any and it's as strong and long lasting as any. IF I had to replace my old Rock Chucker 2 next week, I'm too old to have a silly emotional loyalty to inanimate objects so it would be with the CC; it's the better press of it's type currently available, at any price.

Last edited:
Lee classic cast....strong..sturdy...made in USA....can be had for about $100...best deal out there..imo...

Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate the different point of views. I will make a decision, but this definately helps.

Go with the Lee Classic Cast Press. They should be priced twice as much as they are. If anyone thinks they are inferior because they cost less has obviously never handled one or understands their features. Lee used to make (may still do) a cheap aluminum press for first timers and while it works just fine, it left you feeling it was cheap. A lot of people out there still think that's what the classic cast presses are. They haven't a clue. Those are truly a quality press that you will not wear out. Better that any green machine that I've fiddled with.

Go with the Lee Classic Cast Press. They should be priced twice as much as they are. If anyone thinks they are inferior because they cost less has obviously never handled one or understands their features. Lee used to make (may still do) a cheap aluminum press for first timers and while it works just fine, it left you feeling it was cheap. A lot of people out there still think that's what the classic cast presses are. They haven't a clue. Those are truly a quality press that you will not wear out. Better that any green machine that I've fiddled with.[/QUO

Lee Classic Cast is what I am starting on so I am glad to hear the good reviews.

I went with the Co-Ax and have loved it. I'm glad I dropped the coin early on for this press as it has stood the test of time and served me well from 9mm all the way through 300WM. I loaded my 300WM really long and this press is close to hitting max length, but it works just fine even beyond 3.6" COAL. It's too slow for volume ammo which is why I've gone with a Dillon 550B for my pistol and 5.56mm ammo, but everything else still goes through the Co-Ax and is kicking ass. Once you get the hang of it, you can actually start cranking out your ammo, and switching dies/caliber is a breeze.

I own and recommend the Co-Ax hands down, IMHO it is worth the price. The Lee line of reloading equipment has some shinning stars, but there presses are nothing but duds, proof is the 2 year warranty, so if you don't buy a Co-Ax, buy a press a better warranty.

I own and recommend the Co-Ax hands down, IMHO it is worth the price. The Lee line of reloading equipment has some shinning stars, but there presses are nothing but duds, proof is the 2 year warranty, so if you don't buy a Co-Ax, buy a press a better warranty.

More proof that those talking bad about the Lee Classic Cast press haven't a clue about what they are talking about. The adjustable length and angle handle alone put it in a category above most. Some of the old pot metal ones were a little on the light side but still worked great for the casual reloader and the beginer trying to decide whether or not he wants to invest a fortune into something he may rarely ever use. When I first started many years ago I bought one of the Anniversary Edtion sets that had everything but the dies. I think it cost me $70+- and that was all could afford. When I opened it up and started handly the plastic powder measure and beam scale, my first impression was "this is junk". But it got my started and that was what mattered. As I evolved, so did my equipment. And as cheesy as the plastic scale and dispenser were, they worked. The beam scale is just as accurate as any of my scales are. I still have the old press as a secondary press for things like pulling bulleta and swedging primer pockets etc. The newer Classic Cast series presses are really good presses and they dont need any more than a two year warranty. If you dont find something wrong in two years, you're not going to. The co-ax is a great press, just not very ergonomic and overkill for 98% of most peoples reloading needs.

It does get amusing to read web experts touting one brand without experience with others, as if one model in a makers's line is exactly like all the others. Lee's Classic Cast is all iron/steel and they are milled and bored on highly precise computer controlled machines. You can pay more for a press but you won't get more (and probably won't get as much) by changing colors. And that insight comes from an old guy who's reloaded since '65, has owned a Rock Chucker since '87 and has owned or used the Coax plus quite a few others over the years.

Be it known that Lee has never made a "pot metal" press. They do use some very high grade, high strength alum alloys tho. That's the same "pot metal" stuff commonly used for airplanes and missles, space probes, SCUBA tanks, military and artic exploration and deep sea fishing boats, outboard boat motors and propellers, scopes, modern shotgun, rifle and handgun frames, climbing tree stands, etc. Meaning Lee's 'cheap' presses are much better than those who haven't used them - or haven't used them correctly - seem to believe.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the feedback. Bottomline... Can I produce the same quality from the Lee as I could with the Co-ax? In addition, if the Lee isn't the second best, what is? I'm open to anything. Also, I don't think I will be able to find Co-ax. They are all sold out!!!

Sure you can. Lee's just as good as any other. Here's something else to remember when people start talking about alignment and tolerances in their 250 dollar presses, the case is held in the press by a Shell Holder. The case "floats" in the shell holder. That "floating" allows the case to guide and center itself in the dies as it enters it. The co ax has lots of extra "float" with the way it holds the die in the press - via the die lock nut. It doesn't even securely hold the die. Makes for quick die changes though. There is nothing magic about presses. They are all just a contraption to raise and lower a ram. Some have big handles, some have little. Some have long strokes, some have short, etc. Features like adjustable handles, bored thru rams to allow primers to go right into the trash or be collected with out having to empty out trays, priming features, or massive leverage advantages(co-ax), turrets, etc. are what separate them from each other. And just to throw it out there, here's some cool presses for your fine work: Reloading Presses
Modulo Masterpiece Portable Press ? Pride of Italy « Daily Bulletin
Sinclair 7/8-14 Benchrest Press | Sinclair Intl

I have probably 20 reloading manual(I like collecting them) and the best one I can suggest for beginners happens to be the LEE Modern Reloading Manual. It has some really good, down to earth, easy to follow instructions and explanations about reloading in it. It's enjoyable to read and has some great fundamentals in it. Its a place to start.