• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Press set up help

OUinLA

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
I am completely new at this...

I just acquired a LEE turret press and some Dillon .308 dies (3 set). I followed the online instructions from Dillon for set up and went through a dry run to verify die positions. The bullet seating die placed the bullet about a 1/4" deaper than I expected. Instructions read: screw die until it masked contact with shell plate then back off half a turn. Obviously I need to back it off more but when I do something that strays from the directions that much I start having doubts.

What should I do to get in the ball park without having to seat a bunch of bullets incorrectly?

Thanks

Welcome to the world of reloading. I cannot answer you question as you put it. I think your "bullet seater" or # 3 stage needs to have the seater raised. This will look like a screw or all thread through a bolt at the top of the die. This needs to be backed off, not the die itself. You may want to contact the maker and remember Monday, 02/17 is a holiday so some phones may be unanswered.

You need to learn more and stop before you proceed and hurt yourself. Not being an asshole, we all had to start somewhere, but it is hard to give you an answer over the internet.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was wondering if it might be the screw adjustment. I agree, I need to learn more. I've been reading for quite a bit while accumulating my supplies. I'm not a competition shooter and probably never will be. I just want to make an accurate round that is repeatable. Thanks again.

Just to reiterate, these loads I am learning on are not live. No primer no powder.

The Dillon seating die uses a stem adjustment, which is the gold colored hex bolt. unlock the lock nut and back the bolt out until you get the right depth. Don't adjust the die.

I use the Lee die and they have a depth adjustment screw on top to adjust the depth. I have the Lee turret and I love it. I also have a Lee single stage press as well that I started on. I still use the single stage to resize/deprime and I use it for my precision rifle loads from start to finish.

Since you have the turret and are new, I would suggest that you take out the auto indexing rod and use it as a single stage until you get the hang of everything. Once you get that, the place the auto indexing rod back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Kirk. I did remove the auto indexing rod as I noticed that the turret tries to advance before the shell is clear of the die.

For what you want look at the Lee Collet dies. That's what I stared with and they're much easier than any other die set to get even neck tension and proper seating depth. They're also inexpensive-about $29.00 for both dies. Much easier than the competition dies. Finished reloads all weigh within 0.2grs of each other.
Good luck!

It's simple, you can setup any seating die using the following steps.

-Unscrew your die out all the way.
-Put a case and a with a bullet resting in the empty case and then raise the ram all the way up. Screw your die in until it contacts the bullet.
-Lower ram, screw the die in a turn or two and then raise the ram to seat the bullet further, then measure your COL.
-Make small increments screwing the seating die in with this same case until you seat to your desired depth.
-Once you've reached your desired depth, snug the lock ring and then make a couple more dummy rounds and confirm your measurements match your desired length.

Last edited:
It's simple, you can setup any seating die using the following steps.

-Unscrew your die out all the way.
-Put a case and a with a bullet resting in the empty case and then raise the ram all the way up. Screw your die in until it contacts the bullet.
-Lower ram, screw the die in a turn or two and then raise the ram to seat the bullet further, then measure your COL.
-Make small increments screwing the seating die in with this same case until you seat to your desired depth.
-Once you've reached your desired depth, snug the lock ring and then make a couple more dummy rounds and confirm your measurements match your desired length.

That's exactly what I did. I don't know why I didn't see this approach on my first attempt, it really is simple.

That's exactly what I did. I don't know why I didn't see this approach on my first attempt, it really is simple.
Yes, it is. And if reloading were something benign like Lego Robots I'd leave it at that. And with apologies for the fact that there's no easy way to say this . . .

Best advice I can give you is to seriously examine how you actually did miss that after reading the instructions as you indicated.

As you know, there are many other things about reloading that, if missed, can have serious consequences.

Just something to consider.

Yes, it is. And if reloading were something benign like Lego Robots I'd leave it at that. And with apologies for the fact that there's no easy way to say this . . .

Best advice I can give you is to seriously examine how you actually did miss that after reading the instructions as you indicated.

As you know, there are many other things about reloading that, if missed, can have serious consequences.

Just something to consider.

My instructions didn't explain it like that. Thanks for the help