• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pressure sensitive paper or transfer paper?

Marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
Michigan
I'm looking for something that I can put in the bolt cut out on stocks that would tell me if my bolt handle is contacting the stock when closed. I noticed tonight that on a Bell and Carlson stock for a Rem 700 action that my Zermett RimX handle seems to be stopping short of being fully closed. I realize that it may only be a degree or two and that the lugs should be almost completely locked up, but I'd rather figure a way to open the handle cut out a little more to allow full closure of the bolt.

No idea on paper, but what about plain old dykem layout fluid?

Would Articulating paper work? that colored paper stuff the dentist puts between your teeth to check how your upper and lower teeth contact after he does a filling?

Edit:

Yeah dykem might work also.

Maybe a version of the old dollar bill trick to check barrel free float could work?

It sounds like your asking for plain jane carbon paper. If you do a search, it's all over the internet. Walmart,
Target, Amazon, Staples, etc.
I don't understand how Dykem would work unless you plan on doing it wet. As I recall. it dries very quickly.

Plastigauge may be helpful if your trying to get a dimension between two pieces. It's difficult for me to understand exactly what
your trying to accomplish with no photos. It's very cool stuff though I have not used it since 1980.... take a look at " how it works"

It sounds like your asking for plain jane carbon paper. If you do a search, it's all over the internet. Walmart,
Target, Amazon, Staples, etc.
I don't understand how Dykem would work unless you plan on doing it wet. As I recall. it dries very quickly.

Plastigauge may be helpful if your trying to get a dimension between two pieces. It's difficult for me to understand exactly what
your trying to accomplish with no photos. It's very cool stuff though I have not used it since 1980.... take a look at " how it works"

The point of Dykum is to dry so you can scratch it off when doing layout on metal parts. A bolt rubbing on it would give the same effect

Reactions: 6.5SH
The point of Dykum is to dry so you can scratch it off when doing layout on metal parts. A bolt rubbing on it would give the same effect
I'm well aware of what Dykem is and I even know how to spell it on occasion. From the OPs post, "stopping short of being fully closed"
His description sounded to me like the handle was bottoming out in the stock handle cut out. Therefor not creating a scratching type
motion your describing. I thought #4 Jimmy Jr. had the right idea. "Articulating paper."

Pressure sensitive paper or transfer paper​

Smoke (soot), inletting black, Prussian blue, zink sunscreen. Apply thin film to bolt handle. Close bolt, check to see if it has transferred. Any spot that it has transferred to is a high/ contact point.
You can do anything from checking for contact points to inletting an entire rifle by this technique.

Engine builders use modeling clay to check valve to piston clearances. Might work...

carbon paper, have used it in the past to see how things fit. Some contact cement holds it in place and rubs off without leaving residue.

A dot of play-do or clay....it will mush and show how much clearance you have left. Used to do that putting dirt bike engines back together...

Put a little lube/wax/oil on the bolt handle so it does not stick to it and stays on the stock.

ZY

Last edited:
Reactions: ...
Articulating paper was what came to mind first, but I didn't know the name for it. Which reminds me, I need to make a dentist appointment.

I ended up getting some carbon paper, and used some receipt paper. Then I'd shut the bolt a few times and see where the transfer was. This allowed me to pick away at these high spots rather than just start hogging out too much (which I've done many times in the past).

b4QudQj.jpg

Would Articulating paper work? that colored paper stuff the dentist puts between your teeth to check how your upper and lower teeth contact after he does a filling?

Edit:

Yeah dykem might work also.

Maybe a version of the old dollar bill trick to check barrel free float could work?

Yeah... maybe just a slip of paper in the bottom notch and see if it binds or slips with the bolt closed?

Articulating paper was what came to mind first, but I didn't know the name for it. Which reminds me, I need to make a dentist appointment.

I ended up getting some carbon paper, and used some receipt paper. Then I'd shut the bolt a few times and see where the transfer was. This allowed me to pick away at these high spots rather than just start hogging out too much (which I've done many times in the past).

b4QudQj.jpg

Awesome!!!!

I mean that in both possible meanings.

He talked about putting lipstick on a pig in one video, and slathered the shit on his lips lol