• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Pressure signs.

MrDrift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
SE Michigan
Bear with me as these are the fist hand loads I've worked up and fired:

4869578670_a57a398f20_z.jpg

The first one on the left from rifle #1, the primer is obviously flattened and after I popped the primer out had slight "Top Hatting". The one in the middle is the same load, in rifle #2. The third was a different load in rifle #2 for comparison.

I'm assuming it's overpressure in rifle #1, but not overpressure in rifle #2. Am I correct? Is some flattening to be expected? I hear that the factory 700's crater, as it happens with my factory ammo as well. It's the flattening that worries me. No other pressure signs, bolt opened easy and the brass looks good.

Loads:

Left and Center:

50Gr Varmint Grenade
26Gr Varget
2.215" COAL
CCI 400 Primer

Right:

69gr SMK
21.9gr Varget
2.305 COAL
CCI 400 Primer

Both rifles are 700 SPS-T

Re: Pressure signs.

What does a factory load look like?
Back off at least 1-2 grns on both loads...
Make sure the cases are of the correct headspace.
You DO use a cartridge case gage to check your cases after resizing don't you?
I only use Wilson gages, BTW.
Wilson pn# 456614 for .223.
Cheers,
LG

4869088409_00c80d2fec_z.jpg

Left is Factory 55gr FMJ from Rifle #1

Right is Factory 55gr Core Lokt from rifle #2

I don't have a case gauge. School me on that, I have no idea
frown.gif

The loads from the original post, left and center are FL sized on a Redding die bottomed on the shell holder, brass was 1x fired. The right in the original post was neck sized only in a lee collet die, 1x fire formed in rifle #2 and shot from rifle #2.

You insert the case into the gage and it will tell you if you have the correct headspace and OAL. That is, your sizing die is set correct or not and IF you need to trim the case.
They are a VERY important tool to have along with a good set of calipers.
Respectfully,
LG

I have calipers and a Hornady bullet comparator. I also use a lee case trimmer. I know that the cases were of the correct length and that the OAL was good for both rifles. Just not sure on the head space gauge.