• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pressure

RogueVolcom

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2012
Sin City
So im loading for the first time and I'm worried about pressure due to length of barrel.. so the books data is all shot on a 26" barrel and my barrel is 28". is using the starting load that the book suggests still safe? I'm using Hodgdon H4831sc, 92% fill. and also it 100 degrees in the morning.

"I" would not have an issue with a starting load and an extra 2" of bbl. Work it up till you are happy with velocity and look for pressure signs (ejector marks on case head). Just double and triple check the starting load. there are many free resources online (hodgdons, bullet manufacture, etc)

If you plan on doing a lot of loading, consider a program like "quickload" it will give an approximate pressure based on seating depth, bullet, case h2o volume, powder and more.

Length of barrel won't make a difference in building the pressure you need to worry about. It's seating depth and extra case capacity you have the builds that immediate pressure you need to worry about.

L

I use the cleaning rod method with rod stops. works good for me.

read in the stickys for the reloading forum here it breaks that method down.

Buy a 99 cent Composition book and make note on everything you do. Note all pressure signs. BUT also make notes on what your groups look like. A lot depends on the bullets and barrel. But it is possible that you'll find a load "middle of the road", but is a real tight load. Test it again to make sure it's a repeatable load. 5 shot groups are more dependable than 3 shot groups. Start at 100 yards on a target with an aiming point. Watch the pressures on the case and primers. I had loaded for 20 years before I bought a chronograph.

Good luck.
Victor