• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pretty cool experience with the 50 this weekend

Ticeman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
What a treat this weekend at the shooting range: touched off a few rds of 50 BMG, when a guy next to me asked, "is that a 50?" yep, I replied. He proceeded to tell me that he's done "a lot of work" with that gun, explaining he has done two tours in the Gulf war and Iraq and shot 2-300 rds of 50/day mostly with the Raufoss round (cant imagine) and is now works for a private contractor at an Embassy. I offered him to shoot my gun, he accepted, two shots thru the same hole! I shook his hand and thanked him for his service and stood humbled in the presence of excellence, very cool experience for me.

Last edited:
its nice to meet decent people at the range huh? too many schmucks...

I'll second that. I can't count how many times I've heard "Is that a machine gun" or "is that a M16" when I'm shooting one of my ARs.
I really do like to see people at the range, enjoying it and becoming a better shooter, but lets face it. Some people shouldn't be out at the range

Awesome. It's nice to have a day when you meet someone knowledgeable at the range. Much less someone with that level of experience.

Its ok for people to mix up names and not know not very well known gun companies in the us, but mixing up an ar for a m16 thats bad. I'd think if you see them shoot full auto then you can ask that question.

I feel sorry for people like you, sometimes its the other way around, but usually I'll ask for a gun and they'll grab a different rifle and I even said no the aisle before. Or they'll keep saying "when you going to buy your son a rifle" My dad always answers "he has enough rifles" (which my dad knows that theres no such thing :) I do own like 11 rifles though, and I'm only 14. I thank you for being a person behind the counter who knows what he's saying and not being one of those " yeah the 308 has better ballistics than the 243" people.

kudos to you teenagers...I am an rifle instructor for a Young Marines group back home. I love seeing teens and even younger behind rifles. Makes me think there might be hope for America.

I have gotten to the point I refuse to visit our "Public" range on the weekend or evenings. If I can't go during the day, I just won't shoot. I had a buddy drop by last week and we decided to run over and check our deer guns before it gets too much later in the year. We wait for a spot at the bench, and settle in and I start shooting my wife's 20ga., which has never had optics before this year. I put 5 round through it to get it on paper, and start working on getting it to group, when the Rambo next to me pipes up "Those 20ga.'s were never built for accuracy, that 6" group is about the best you can expect." I acted like I didn't hear him and continued shooting. Once I was happy with how it was shooting we took a break to shoot the .35 Rem., and then checked targets. I couldn't contain myself when we walked out to the 100 yard berm, and my final group was half the size of his group shot from his "deer slaying 12ga."!!!!

I too get sick of the M-16 comments, or many other BS statements that fly around the range. If the person is obviously oblivious, I take the time to explain but more often than not they all ready know it all anyway.

One of the benefits of owning a .50 is that everyone at the range instantly becomes your best friend. I can not think of one time I've put mine on the table and not had the person next to me start up conversation about it. It usually is schmucks though you are right about that. Every once in a while you interact with one of those people like you found. It always makes the trip to the range a bit more enjoyable when there is not a douche bag next to you.