• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRI barrel nut install

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
I’m installing the round PRI gen 3 Handguard and I’m having trouble aligning the gas tube hole with the barrel nut. Their website says to torque down to 40-65 ft/lbs but it’s not enough to line up the holes. I’d have to go way over, like 90 ft/lbs to get it to align. Any ideas how to go about it? I’ve loosened and retightened the barrel nut a few times already and it’s always the same position.

Attachments

• D4B35B66-AE2C-443A-B9E1-B683021982F1.jpeg
    D4B35B66-AE2C-443A-B9E1-B683021982F1.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 104
Do you have some grease on the threads? That can help reduce the torque necessary to align it. Mine didn't give me too much trouble, so maybe I just got lucky... Shims would be the next logical step if grease doesn't get you there.

shims or anti-sieze. Normally, when I find myself putting too much torque to hit the next hole, I have to move it back to the previous hole.

So I ended up calling PRI and asked them about it. They said the 40-65 ft/lb is just a reference and its ok to go over that by a little if needed for alignment. I ended up getting it aligned properly at about 85 ft/lbs. Backed it off and tightened again and got it to the same hole at 60 ft/lbs so I didn't need the shims. I did put anti-seize on the threads.

Reactions: drewthebrave