• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

PRI barrel nut install

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
I’m installing the round PRI gen 3 Handguard and I’m having trouble aligning the gas tube hole with the barrel nut. Their website says to torque down to 40-65 ft/lbs but it’s not enough to line up the holes. I’d have to go way over, like 90 ft/lbs to get it to align. Any ideas how to go about it? I’ve loosened and retightened the barrel nut a few times already and it’s always the same position.

Attachments

• D4B35B66-AE2C-443A-B9E1-B683021982F1.jpeg
    D4B35B66-AE2C-443A-B9E1-B683021982F1.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 106
Do you have some grease on the threads? That can help reduce the torque necessary to align it. Mine didn't give me too much trouble, so maybe I just got lucky... Shims would be the next logical step if grease doesn't get you there.

shims or anti-sieze. Normally, when I find myself putting too much torque to hit the next hole, I have to move it back to the previous hole.

So I ended up calling PRI and asked them about it. They said the 40-65 ft/lb is just a reference and its ok to go over that by a little if needed for alignment. I ended up getting it aligned properly at about 85 ft/lbs. Backed it off and tightened again and got it to the same hole at 60 ft/lbs so I didn't need the shims. I did put anti-seize on the threads.

Reactions: drewthebrave