• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

price check - used Zeiss 8x26 LRF

bradpierson26

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2009
Greeley, CO
Im slowly saving for a laser range finder. I can afford a new nikon 800 or a used leica 1200. I was recommended a Zeiss victory 8x26 (rated at 1300yds). The zeiss has a ballistic program that will determine holdover for a selected caliber and bullet and it will provide correction for shooting at angles.
It will do double duty for elk hunting and shooting steel at varying ranges
What are used Zeiss's going for? people have said I can find used Leica 1200s for $325...i would like to see proof of that.
thanks

Re: price check - used Zeiss 8x26 LRF

I picked mine up for a little over $400 if I recall correctly. It works well and has some really good glass. However a note of correction for you. It does NOT have a ballistics calculator in it. It has some built in range tables that only go out 600 yards. But these tables not not customizable. You get what they give you. My personal opinion is that the ballistic tables are useless but it never was an issue for me because I don't load any rounds that apply.

Super clear glass and a very crisp readout. Love the display.

I was ranging tree tops today at 1456 repeatedly if that means anything to ya.

At first I was dissapointed it wouldn't range the clear cut I had planned to use cuse I didn't realize how far out it was. Ranged the tree tops just this side of it and kept hitting the same tree with 1456. Google shows the clearcut to be another 500 yards beyond....

the zeiss i have seen are in the 550 range , but i think they are much better than leica . my buddy has the zeiss , i have swaro . out to 1k the zeiss dosent give up much to the swaro .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradpierson26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im slowly saving for a laser range finder. I can afford a new nikon 800 or a used leica 1200. I was recommended a Zeiss victory 8x26 (rated at 1300yds). The zeiss has a ballistic program that will determine holdover for a selected caliber and bullet and <span style="color: #FF0000">it will provide correction for shooting at angles. </span>
What are used Zeiss's going for? people have said I can find used Leica 1200s for $325...i would like to see proof of that.
thanks </div></div>

NO-GO on the angle read-out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradpierson26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im slowly saving for a laser range finder. I can afford a new nikon 800 or a used leica 1200. I was recommended a Zeiss victory 8x26 (rated at 1300yds). The zeiss has a ballistic program that will determine holdover for a selected caliber and bullet and <span style="color: #FF0000">it will provide correction for shooting at angles. </span>
thanks </div></div>

NO-GO on the angle read-out. </div></div>

really? i have been told by several people that it has angle adjustment. i'll have to check the website

Well if it doesnt have angle adj. and the ballistic compensator isnt that effective, then i'll stick with the leica 1200.
SO...where can i find a used/refurb'd leica?

Check away on the website about the angle readout -- 'No Go' is correct from three of us that have them.
I don't follow your buying rationale either. Because the Zeiss ballistic tables aren't that useful (I agree, really targeted for joe weekend deer hunter not precision riflemen) and no angle readout, you're going with another product that doesn't have those features either? Don't get that.
It's the core features that count -- glass and ranging ability. What the Zeiss does have (as another hider noted) is great glass, bright, ranges to 1200ish very well, it's fast to range, etc. Unless you're popping for the Leica Geovids or the Swaro LRF, you would be well served by the Zeiss LRF.