• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Price of Used Weapons

pawprint2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
How do you guys come up with a fair price for a used weapon, when looking to buy? I generally look at the NIB price from someone such as Bud's Gun Shop, and subtract from there. As of late, I've noticed some guys feel as if their ownership and use of a weapon, actually adds value! In short they are asking as much or more, than the weapon can be purchased new. Some forms
"Customizing" are actually a turn-off for me, many of the new and very popular coating/paints are often used (and advertised as such)to hide/cover scratches/minor damage etc., yet some sellers feel a used rifle with these coatings, adds value. For me, I assume it is covering damage. I'd rather buy a blued action and pay for a coating (or do it my self) if I couldn't live without it, as I know what I'm getting from the start. Some J&B, a razor blade, a little sanding, and some "super coating" can and does make really banged up actions "like new". If the weapon came from the mfg, or "Custom shop" with one of these coatings, then I view it as original and judge condition from there.

Re: Price of Used Weapons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawprint2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you guys come up with a fair price for a used weapon, when looking to buy?</div></div>

A fair price, when looking to buy, is what you think it's worth to you. If it's higher than you want to spend, make a polite, private offer. If they accept it, wonderful, and if they don't, move along. The great thing about the PX is that there's always new stuff coming in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawprint2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you guys come up with a fair price for a used weapon, when looking to buy?</div></div>

A fair price, when looking to buy, is what you think it's worth to you. If it's higher than you want to spend, make a polite, private offer. If they accept it, wonderful, and if they don't, move along. The great thing about the PX is that there's always new stuff coming in. </div></div>

^^^This. Most guys here are willing to negotiate. I have bought two rifles from guys here and paid what they were asking because it was a fair price. If you think it's too high of a price, move along or make an offer like Veer said. But don't get butt hurt if they rebuke your offer. We're all grown men and women here.

I've had a C&R FFL for about fifteen years. I buy and sell some guns on gun broker, gunsamerica, the old armchairgunshow (still out there but I forget the name off the top of my head) here and a few other places from time to time.

I have seriously overbid for two guns, but haven't been sorry. A 1923 first generation Colt SAA and one from 1957. 1st and 2d generation guns. I got them for I THINK several hundred over market value, judging from many other sales I've seen.

I look for completed sales and get a ballpark of what guns are selling in the condition/style I'm interested in, decide how much I'm willing to pay and bid away.

Same with outright sales. If I lowball a price, people will let me know fast. If they accept my offer too quickly I sometimes think "wonder what's wrong with it," or imagine they're still getting what THEY think it's worth.

It's like the old pawnbroker joke: how much is two plus two? Depends. You buying, or selling?

May I suggest that the OP promptly move to the Smith & Wesson collector's community if he wants to concern himself with factory finishes. This is not a group that places a high value on original bluing... or original <span style="font-style: italic">anything</span>, for that matter.

If you don't like the price, send the seller an offer or just quietly move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May I suggest that the OP promptly move to the Smith & Wesson collector's community if he wants to concern himself with factory finishes. This is not a group that places a high value on original bluing... or original <span style="font-style: italic">anything</span>, for that matter.

If you don't like the price, send the seller an offer or just quietly move on. </div></div>

What EB is sayin', stranger, is that they drink Fudd around here, got itchy trigger fingers fer varmints, and don't mind scratchy NF scopes if'n they's a he-man.

laugh.gif

Personally, I don't like haggling over price, which I guess is what most sellers want, atleast I hope, since most used guns I've looked at were at or above NIB price. As such I've bought everyone I've owned new.

Now customization that's different, just like vehicles (but typically minus test drive), it may add value for you, or detract, as a rule if its a home job or undocumented and beyond a basic bolt on it should detract. But as said before, buyers drive the market, make an offer and/or pass.

My question wasn't regarding the hide's PX, but rather a general question. I don't place a high value on a shiny blue finish, but I am far better able to determine the true condition of the steel if it is blued as opposed to a "coating", that covers-up damage. I fully understand making an offer, I was just trying to find out how you guys go about coming up with your offer. Regarding not being interested in " original anything", those good people paying for ads on this board are selling a lot of original equipment, IMHO, much of it, is really good as offered in its original conditon, I hope I'm not the only one interested in their goods.

As a rule of thumb, for a used gun, I start at 20% off new retail. Then I factor any mitigating and/or aggravating circumstances.

These "circumstances" vary widely by individual. What is an adder for one may be a detractor for another. I think that's why everyone is saying, "Make an offer based upon what it's worth to YOU."

All you need to do is find the highest retail price for a new in box version, and add about 15%, that will put you in the general ballpark for the used price, at least with handguns.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a rule of thumb, for a used gun, I start at 20% off new retail. Then I factor any mitigating and/or aggravating circumstances.

These "circumstances" vary widely by individual. What is an adder for one may be a detractor for another. I think that's why everyone is saying, "Make an offer based upon what it's worth to YOU." </div></div>

I agree find the usual retail price and go 20% down from that and see what you come up with. Unless its limited, RARE, Or a really sought after piece that should give you a good idea.

I usually take 25% off what I paid new after use.
And I did a little math, and pretty much almost every firearm I buy, it is close to this percent.
NIB usally 10% off lowest price I can find online.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawprint2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding not being interested in " original anything", those good people paying for ads on this board are selling a lot of original equipment</div></div>

The last two brand-new rifles I bought ended up being disassembled and chucked in my lathe before firing a single shot, and I've chewed on a brand-new $600 Manners stock in my mill before ever once bolts in an action. So, I guess I have to retract my statement about not being interested in "original anything", as brand-new parts sometime make good fodder for builds
smile.gif