• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x Scope feedback

Jethatsme

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
What's going on Hide members. Looking a purchasing a new 1-8x powered optic on a new SPR build. Does abyone have experience with Primary Arms' Platinum series lines of scopes? Specifically the 1-8x?

I am considering a few optics ranging to as high at the Minox 1-8x. The Primary arms comes in around the price of a razor 1-6x which i have previously owned and unso the USO 1-8x which I did not care for due to distortion at 1x zoom.

Interested in feedback on the feel of the turrets, distortions at 1x if any, glass quality and daylight bright illumination.

if you have any side by side experiende with the Schmidt or Razor and have any comparison it would be great to hear as well.

Their 1-8x model is sourced out of Japan's LOW. I'm betting you didn't know that. It's hard to read things clearly with your nose so high in the air.

Is it! Good for them. Up to now everything they've produced has been in China so pardon me.

High in the air? lol it's Primary Arms. That name has never been synonymous with quality. Nothing to do with high in the air.

I run a lot of scopes built by LOW and have a great respect for them.

Last edited:
Is it! Good for them. Up to now everything they've produced has been in China so pardon me.

High in the air? lol it's Primary Arms. That name has never been synonymous with quality. Nothing to do with high in the air.

I run a lot of scopes built by LOW and have a great respect for them.

I missed the part where you were offering somethig of value to the topic. Do you waste that much effort in other areas of your life?

If I was shopping that price point, I'd personally consider options other than the primary arms 1-8 platinum.
Could it be a good scope? maybe
But with that much money, I'd rather spend it on something that I know for sure will be spectacular.

I missed the part where you were offering somethig of value to the topic. Do you waste that much effort in other areas of your life?

Hmm... let me write it again and see if you get it this time... might be over your head.

"Compare a Schmidt and a Primary Arms scope. LOL"

Did you get it that time?

And then shortly after you notice glock24 chimed in about it their being made at LOW japan... at which point I apologized not realizing they stepped up their game by finally leaving China.

Do I need to spell it out more clearly?

I had a Primary Arms platinum 1-8 .
The glass was good ( although a little fish eye distortion around the edges ) , illumination is absolutely daylight bright and had a very practical / useable FFP reticle.
The adjustments were positive.
It was a little heavy for the rifle I was using it on so I ended up selling it.
I would buy another one for a AR-10 platform or an 18" barreled 5.56.

If I was shopping that price point, I'd personally consider options other than the primary arms 1-8 platinum.
Could it be a good scope? maybe
But with that much money, I'd rather spend it on something that I know for sure will be spectacular.

Fair point. Especially given it's Primary Arms FIRST product into the so called mid/high tier market. MrGunsandGear did a review on YouTube and was highlighting the true 1x visibility and glass quality so I was inntrigued a bit. The USO 8c which I had was a bit disappointing even at a $1700-$2k price point. The Razor was excellent but really want 1-8x magnification.

Hmm... let me write it again and see if you get it this time... might be over your head.

"Compare a Schmidt and a Primary Arms scope. LOL"

Did you get it that time?

And then shortly after you notice glock24 chimed in about it their being made at LOW japan... at which point I apologized not realizing they stepped up their game by finally leaving China.

Do I need to spell it out more clearly?

Yes please. I find it amusing.

If you are used to running high end optics such as S&B, Minox and the like, D O N O T B U Y T H E P R I M A R Y A R M S. You will likely be disappointed.

mrgunsandgear on youtube says the PA 1-8 has the closest true 1x power he's ever seen in any scope in any price range. For what it's worth. I looked at one for myself but wound up putting the funds to a gun.

I have not actually. Do you have some experience with one? If so, how do you like the glass and illumination in daylight.

Spent about a minute behind one while shooting the shit at a match. I was impressed. Very good glass, field of view looked wider than my 1-4, I noticed no discernable CA at 8x while looking at giant white numbers on a black background. Nor any noticeable parallax on the 300 yard target. What I love is the locking turrets and a true mil scale reticle and not some BDC. Illumination was red and bright enough for my uses as a dmr match scope and hunting optic for Michigan deer atop a 450 bushmaster. I liked it enough to say I'll be picking one up in the coming months before deer season.

I have one of the PA 1-6s with the KISS reticle. I bought it on sale as a replacement for a T2. I can honestly say that I do not regret it and the quality is much, MUCH better than I thought it would be. The capped turrets are finger adjustable and very positive. The glass is good enough and I've been running the 1x very fast. I played with the Gen 2 Razor 1-6 for a while and I honestly don't feel like I gave anything up considering I can get a couple of these for the same price. I really like the KISS reticle too. Definitely daylight bright and very fast at all magnification ranges.

I try to not hop into a thread and constantly suggest the Burris scope all the time. I do like and use a lot of other brands. But sometimes what we have is simply a perfect fit for what the poster is looking for, and this is one of those times.

The Burris XTR II 1-8 is also made by LOW in Japan. It's a 34mm tube, an option of capped or uncapped low profile turrets using the MAD system that allows you to set either turret however you want, an option of First or Second Focal Plane with a corresponding reticle to match, daylight bright illumination, glass is excellent, design is rugged and durable, true mechanical zero stop, and the Burris Unconditional Forever warranty. It's one of the nicest 1-8's on the market. AND.......AND....there is a $100 rebate on XTR II's through the end of July. You could pick up this scope for around $900.

Give Mike a call at CS Tactical. He does a pretty good job at getting these in.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...lescope-1-8x24

Last edited:
I try to not hop into a thread and constantly suggest the Burris scope all the time. I do like and use a lot of other brands. But sometimes what we have is simply a perfect fit for what the poster is looking for, and this is one of those times.

The Burris XTR II 1-8 is also made by LOW in Japan. It's a 34mm tube, an option of capped or uncapped low profile turrets using the MAD system that allows you to set either turret however you want, an option of First or Second Focal Plane with a corresponding reticle to match, daylight bright illumination, glass is excellent, design is rugged and durable, true mechanical zero stop, and the Burris Unconditional Forever warranty. It's one of the nicest 1-8's on the market. AND.......AND....there is a $100 rebate on XTR II's through the end of July. You could pick up this scope for around $900.

Give Mike a call at CS Tactical. He does a pretty good job at getting these in.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...lescope-1-8x24

We do have them in stock! And it's a lot of scope for the money, especially with the $100 mail in rebate from Burris.
Burris XTR II 1-8x24mm w/ Illum Ballistic Dot RFP https://www.cstactical.com/p/5509-Burris-XTR-II-1-8x24mm-w/-Illum-Ballistic-Dot-RFP.aspx
Burris XTR II 1-8x24mm w/ Illum Ballistic Circle Dot FFP https://www.cstactical.com/burris-xtr-ii-1-8x24mm-w/-illum-ballistic-circle-dot-ffp.aspx

These are shot through a phone so they are not the best. It was a somewhat overcast day with the brightness set at 5. Great scope I would buy another one.

Attachments

• photo67302.jpg
    photo67302.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 257
  • photo67303.jpg
    photo67303.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 234
  • photo67305.jpg
    photo67305.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 265
I have no experience but I mulled it over for a while. A guy named Alaskapopo has one. He liked it a lot and he has a Swaro Z6i and a Razor to compare it with. I haven't seen anything bad about it. He used to be a member here. Not sure if he is still around. He had a review in the multigun section on Enos forum. I decided on the Razor based on hands on experience and the warranty.

Has anyone used this for deer season or on a brush gun? I'm wondering how well it performs in low light.

On the Burris suggestion. What's the model number for capped turrets?

Both 1-8's (SFP and FFP) have the MAD turret system.

You can cap or leave uncapped either turret. Or cap one and not the other. It's completely modular, and quite frankly, it's pretty brilliant.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/m.a.d.-system

I made this video a year ago, I completely winged it, so quality is poor. But it's a decent run down on how it works.

https://youtu.be/ISpFbukNp3o

I agree about the quality of them. I have owned several NF scopes and I would say the glass is as clear. I am sure there are nicer scopes but yes for 1200 I think it is an amazing scope without having to step into a Schmidt or Kahles etc.. The field of view is amazing and the reticle is fast! I can shoot my AR with that on it as fast as I can with my Aimpoint. Plus, they have been out long enough to be tested and everyone talks about the durability.

I had a Bushnell SMRS 1-8.5 for a while and a friend had a PA Platinum 1-8 at the same time so I took them to the range and compared side by side. I'm convinced they roll off the same factory line. They are almost identical except for some knurling and minor cosmetic differences. Even down to the same inspection sticker being present under the turret cap. Specs are the same. The Bushnell is stupid expensive for what it is. Overall I preferred the PA because the reticle is excellent. I really like the ACSS. In the end it's a scope that is designed to go on a carbine and it weighs 24 oz. I just don't have a place for something like that.

Buddy of mine is pleased with his. I've looked through it a few times but I'm not enough of a glass snob to compare it to other brands. I've seen his shotgun bounce off of it hard a few times and its held zero.

They are great except for the weight. If you can stand the 25oz weight, there's not a hair's bit of difference between it and the Trijicon 1-8. Except I like both PA reticles better, and they're about to release the Raptor if they haven't already which is an even better reticle IMO. The only experience I have with S&B was a 5-25 and it was excellent, especially in the middle and upper mag. Lower mag was a bit disappointing.

These are shot through a phone so they are not the best. It was a somewhat overcast day with the brightness set at 5. Great scope I would buy another one.
What am I looking at here? Did I miss the brand and model?