• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Primary Arms scopes?

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
Hey guys

I recently purchased a 308 for hunting and was looking into some glass. I’ve read very good things about the primary arms scopes and have been looking into their ORION scope. It’s designed specifically for hunting and the ACSS reticle seems legit with very precise hold overs. I realize the glass isn’t gonna be in the league with Zeiss, Nightforce, etc etc, but does anyone have any experience with a primary arms scope? It seems too good to be true for $300ish dollars. An FFP scope, with a good bdc and parallax adjustment, 4-14x 30mm tube. The hunting will consist of woods with very little plains. I’d say the longest shot I would be taking is around 300 yards max in the few fields that are in my area of hunting. Budget for a scope is 1k or less

Last edited:
I have 2 of their 1-6 scopes and for the money they are great. The glass isn’t anything to write home about but it works. The reticle is awesome and IMO puts them way above the similar Vortex Strike Eagle. The hold overs work pretty well. I’ve had my 223 out to 500 using the scope and was getting good hits no problem.

Looked at and shot a few Primary Arms scopes and feel they are very nice for the money. But I'm a Vortex Whore so....I didn't buy one. Still, if they appeal, they work fine.

VooDoo

Looked at and shot a few Primary Arms scopes and feel they are very nice for the money. But I'm a Vortex Whore so....I didn't buy one. Still, if they appeal, they work fine.

VooDoo

I have a vortex diamondback hp on a ruger 10/22 (I know a bit overkill, but it was on sale for cheap ☺️) and it seems great. I was looking at the viper lineup, specifically the viper hs. It seemed good, just haven’t had much experience with their bdc reticle.

I have a 1-6 on a noveske and while I love the reticle adjusting it is a pain in the rear. It's a guessing game as clicks are non-existent. Maybe I got a bad one but I wouldn't buy another because of the turrets.

Gimmi some scopes here you are thinking of. Budget is 1k or less

These are solid and track very reliably. Only thing I notice in mine is the 3 to 5 power settings tunnel kinda funny around the edges but above that they are pretty stellar to my eyes. You can make a zero stop out of some plastic washers from a hardware store. . . . also it sounds like a fixed 6x power SWFA scope might work really well for your situation too. The fixed ones are awesome awesome scopes. I've got three fixed power swfa's and they have all been perfect....

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tac...e-scope-3.html

Last edited:
I've had a couple of their red dot optics in the past and both ended up in the trash can.

Just a couple hundred over your budget is leupold VX6 HD 2-12X42.

The VX5 falls in your budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have three PA scopes and a third on the way. One 6x w/ ACSS for .22lr, two of the $280 FFP ACSS, and a Platinum w/ DEKA reticle on order. 1. If you want to DOPE and click the turrets, you're gonna have to pay more. The Platinum is $1400 and is made in Japan. Word on the street is it's worth twice the price and comes from the same factory as some other "high end" scope manufacturer. The cheaper FFP are designed to use the reticle and holdover rather than clicks on the turret. It excels at this. Very fast acquisition. Great for hunting or combat environments. The glass is clear in all these scopes and I'm impressed for the money. I would buy, and will, buy again. What they're also known for is ground breaking reticles and standing behind their product. If you have an issue, you will get satisfaction. There's no magic bullet in their stuff. It's cheap for a reason. One major reason is marketing, or a lack of overhead spending on marketing as they are a seller of not just their own scopes.

To sum up; for your use, hunting, I'd highly recommend one. If you're looking at PRS then I suggest you look elsewhere or step up to their Platinum line.

Call them up. They will talk to you. Happily.

The Burris Veracity is a big step up from the PA. Worth the extra shekels.

It's the same glass as the XTR II but in a hunting set up. 30mm tube, capped turrets, FFP, BDC reticle. You can get the SCR reticle in the higher magnification versions, but it's thin at 2x, so they don't use it on that scope.

The Burris Veracity is a big step up from the PA. Worth the extra shekels.

It's the same glass as the XTR II but in a hunting set up. 30mm tube, capped turrets, FFP, BDC reticle. You can get the SCR reticle in the higher magnification versions, but it's thin at 2x, so they don't use it on that scope.

Was looking at the 2-10x42 for hunting. The e1 reticle seems spot on from the reviews I was watching on YouTube

If you want a great FFP hunting scope, look at the Bushnell LRHS 3-12. It has a very usable reticle even at 3x. I have seen them used on here from $500 to $800.

Was looking at the 2-10x42 for hunting. The e1 reticle seems spot on from the reviews I was watching on YouTube

That's an excellent hunting optic. The glass looks great in the 2-10. Good features, size and weight, it's a very nice scope.

I've really been eyeing the 3-15 version with the same reticle for my Grendel.

I have a Primary Arms 1-8 on an ar that I hunt coyote with. It is a great scope for the money. I have a 4-14×44 ffp r-grid reticle. Which is there Christmas tree style reticle that they discontinued. ( For the life of me I don't know why) I have it on a 308 and my 12yr old got his first hit at 600 with it the other day. I just told him how many mils to hold and he hit in 2 shots. If you want to dial in with turrets it's probably not ideal but the reticle is outstanding. I am probably going to list it in a couple days because I am upgrading but if it doesn't sell it will not hurt my feeling. For a budget optic I say go for it.
ebfd2c2c0140d9b299090bdc4694c628.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I took my AR15 in 6.5 grendel with the .308 HUD DMR ACSS Primary Arms scope out to the range last week and was hitting steel at 200,300,400,500 and 550 yards without issue all while not turning a dial once i had the scope zeroed at 100. Yeah, the glass isn't as clear as the Vortex Razor 4.5-27 thats on my Ruger Precision but its 1/10 the cost. I have one of their red dots on my Kriss Vector and another of their 1-6 on my other AR15. Im pretty happy with every product that I've bought from them. Customer service is great as well.

The ACSS reticle couldn't be much better for fast shooting IMO. I ran it with 75 Hornady BTHP on my gas gun last year. The only dialing I did was when I knew my dope was a few tenths off at a certain range I'd add it through dialing then holdover, or if the wind was crazy. For example the wind holds are for 5 and 10 mph (really should be for 10 and 20 IMO) and we had a stage at 700 yards with 15-25 mph winds. I would dial in the extra .5-.6 or whatever it was to get my wind hold at that range to line up with the 10 mph dot so I wasn't hovering way past the reticle.