• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Primary arms Vs Falcon Menace

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    All,

I have gotten my brother in law to like hunting and he is also starting to like shooting. I convinced him to get rem 700 chambered .270 for deer. He wants to get a scope that will be good for hunting but he kind of wants it tactical looking. I actually plan on buying him one before the hunting season starts. I have heard the two scope on the title are good for the money. For a budget of about $350, would those be two decent scopes to consider? Focal plane does not matter, illumination does not matter either. If there are any other scopes you think for that price point for that purpose I would appreciate suggestions. Shooting distances will not be over 400 yards.

I'm really hoping a good deal on a used variable powered SWFA comes up before hunting season. I want an SWFA really bad but needing a variable powered only because whitetails sometimes show up at 20 to 40 yards and other times over 200 yards.

Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 illuminated reticle. Shot it a lot on my 223 trainer, dialing ranges 100 to 1000yd with no issues. At first even had on my 300WM and dropped an elk at 350. He'll of a scope for the money. I also have a swafa 12x and much prefer the Athlon.

I actually prefer the Primary Arms over the Athlon Argos. I found my Argos to have an unforgiving eyebox, and at magnifications over 15x, the image started to get washed out and fuzzy. Both the Primary Arms and the Athlon tracked well, but the Primary Arms 4-14 i have has more forgiving eyebox, the image doesnt get washed out, and the image was clearer (very crisp in comparison) throughout the magnification range. I ended uo selling the Argos and buying a second Primary Arms.

In addition, Primary Arms has a new 4-14 version called the R-Grid version. It has a Horus-like reticle in it if you prefer that over a mildot. So with that reticle you dont even have to touch the turrets if you dont want to. Makes elevation and wind holdovers out to 400, or even 600 yards fast n easy.

I dont have enough experience behind an SWFA to compare that one. But of the scopes listed, Primary Arms R-Grid 4-14 FFP is my vote. They are easily within the given budget too.

Last edited:
    I'm really hoping a good deal on a used variable powered SWFA comes up before hunting season. I want an SWFA really bad but needing a variable powered only because whitetails sometimes show up at 20 to 40 yards and other times over 200 yards.

Get the 6x SWFA SS then. Enough FOV for up close and all the magnification you need for 400 and then some.

John

I'm not a big fan of fixed scopes for hunting applications.
    If your buddy is okay with mil/moa, I can't think of a better budget scope than this:
    http://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-2-5-10x44-tac-ii/

I have the old gen 1 and it is an awesome scope.
    I also have a Falcon 4-14, I have been nothing but pleased with it.
    FWIW, the Falcon, Primary Arms and the MidwayUSA BSA tactical appear to all be made in the same factory. The BSA actually gets pretty good reviews.
    The Midway is on sale for a killer price right now.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...il-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte

I'm not a big fan of fixed scopes for hunting applications.
    If your buddy is okay with mil/moa, I can't think of a better budget scope than this:
    http://muelleroptics.com/products/mu...-10x44-tac-ii/

I have the old gen 1 and it is an awesome scope.
    I also have a Falcon 4-14, I have been nothing but pleased with it.
    FWIW, the Falcon, Primary Arms and the MidwayUSA BSA tactical appear to all be made in the same factory. The BSA actually gets pretty good reviews.
    The Midway is on sale for a killer price right now.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...-reticle-matte

Good Grief, that is a killer sale! Ha, sold my used ones for $200 last year.

I think SSS got a bad scope, must have, because all my Athlons have been great. I got top score with mine last year at our state FT match. Won June and July and my perfect score 48/48 after 23 years of trying.

I was banging a 19x22"" steel at 1122Y with my 6mmFatRat a few months ago with my Talos BTR 4-14x44.

I advised a guy I met back before Athlon and the BSA were out to get a Falcon 4-14. The scope didn't track even close, sure didn't match the reticle. That guy blamed me then never called back. As if it was my fault, lol.

Last edited:
    That BSA seems to be a smoking deal. Would glass, light transmission, and brightness be kind of on par with a 250dlr nikon? That's what sits on the hunting rifles and they are fine just for that. I just feel like a lot of times you get what you pay for, and the pricetag on the BSA kind of concerns me a bit. Am I over thinking?

That BSA seems to be a smoking deal. Would glass, light transmission, and brightness be kind of on par with a 250dlr nikon? That's what sits on the hunting rifles and they are fine just for that. I just feel like a lot of times you get what you pay for, and the pricetag on the BSA kind of concerns me a bit. Am I over thinking?

The worst thing about the BSA 4-14 is the glass which is disappointing. They track decent and the reticle is very basic as well as on the thick side. It does focus down to 10Y which was part of the reason I bought them. But for the sale price, why not get a couple.

Probably on sale because of the other Co's mentioned as it's competition and I'm guessing Athlon taking a huge share.

Would I rather pay the extra money for the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14, that's a definite yes. The glass is very good, the reticle is fantastic and it's illuminated.

I have three of the BSA scopes, had a PA and sold it. Glass seemed about the same and I like the BSA reticle better. They're all on .22's and all have dialed to over 300 yards and back many times. I'll probably pick up a couple more at that price.

Look no further........Mil/mil reticle and turrets, tactical looking and hands down best bang for the buck as for its quality and durability.

Look no further........Mil/mil reticle and turrets, tactical looking and hands down best bang for the buck as for its quality and durability.

So that's where they went.
    They used to be a Midway USA exclusive.
    They are dandy scopes and an excellent scope for hunting

Second the weaver tactical that midway used to sell. Simple mil/mil, zero resetable turrets, japanese glass and forgiving power range.

Looks like natchezss now sells them less than midway's sale price.

Last edited: