• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Age?

jimurphy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
I have inherited a large number of CCI large rifle primers with the red lettering on the cartons. These cartons contain 10 small boxes with bulk rows of 10, with 10 rows per box. Does anyone know the age of these primers? I also have older cartons with the green labeling.

Re: Primer Age?

I bought those in the late 80's, the green ones are a bit older...if they have been kept well, they're fine to shoot.

Green labels are from the sixties to mid/late seventies. The red labels are from the eighties. That's about as far as I can help you. If you are unsure if they are good you can test them. Just prime up a case without powder and bullet of course, and test it. You will see a flame come out the muzzle. The sound is not much either, about like a toy cap gun.

I have some red labeled 250's that I bought from a fedmart store I know went
out of business before 1974. They have a $1.39 fedmart sticker on them.

I’m using some that are marked a buck twelve.............Work fine.
I have to prime them with the press though...Super hard to seat them
with my hand primer

They should be fine. I have some from the 70's I bought when I was shooting/reloading a lot and still use them w/o issues. They were about $12/15 per K. Last Gunshow I some for $60 per K! Gold hasn't gone up that much!

While cleaning up part of the attic last year I ran across about 4,000 CCI primers from the early 80's. The attic is freezing in the winter and above 100 F and humid in the summer. They still work. I've been through almost 1,000 of them now.

I also noticed they were a realy pain to seat into the cases with the Lee hand priming tool. I thought my thumbs were bruised and blistered they were so sore.

The ones I "pre-tested" were very loud. But I did my pre-testing in a snubnosed revolver inside the shed where I reload. Made my ears ring after the first shot so I got some ear protection for the remaining 5.