• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer choices mag vs regular

djtjr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2009
New York
Well guys against conventional wisdom I tried something a bit different in some big cartridges and the results were pretty amazing. I recently did some loading for my 338 lapua and 338 norma magnums and didn't have any mag primes so I went with the 210m and got amazing results accuracy. I then got in my 215s and did the same tests. With identical weight charges group sizes were half as big with the non mag primers and the chagre weight and groups fluctuated accordingly ie 92gn for example was the best with both primers relative to the other groups but the non mag 92gn group was half the size. My 2 cents but this has happened to me on a few other guns like my 30 hart. Has anyone else experienced this same phenomenon? I have never experiences a non mag not make even a large charge go bang but perhaps others have. For a target rifle it's perhaps different than for hunting where temp could be adverse to ignition. If you haven't tried it please do and let me know what happens next step will be to run it over a chronology to see the differences in es and sd to see if that is also improved relative to the mag primers stats.

Re: Primer choices mag vs regular

I've never tried this, but I have often wondered how necessary magnum primers are in "magnum" calibers.

At the range last week, a guy was running some loads through his M1A, and at 100 yards, with identical loads...one with magnum primers, one without... The magnum primer'd cartridges were hitting the paper a good solid inch lower. Made me scratch my head. I didn't note any significant difference in group size.

I've used magnum primers and the burn rate is larger and hotter than a regular primer, from what a gunsmith told me. I had a good load going with my .308 and was getting around 2900fps with 155gr scenars. Thing is my ES and SD sucked.. So i switched to match primers.

My groups were good @ 100yds anything past that and i had vertical jumps. I had some loads that were a 100fps difference.

I try to get away with Standard primers whenever I can, but i tend to lean towards Magnum Primers in my hunting loads, especially in my larger capacity rounds. It gets cold here in WY while hunting elk and deer.

You are asking about cartridges that use 80-100 grains of powder? Buy Magnum primers! This is not a M1-A in 308. There is a big difference in powder capacity between these cartridges and .308.

I was getting hangfires with regular primers with only 55 grains of R-19 in a 6.5 Rem Mag. NO WHERE near the capacity of the cartridges in the OP.

Good luck

Jerry

You may also find a standard primer works fine at moderate temps, but when the mercury drops below freezing, it can do something else. I was using a 45/70 Contender handgun for deer hunting a while back. My loads were 300 gr HP, H332 ball powder, Fed 210 primer. It shot great at mild temps but when doe season came around, it happened to be 15°F I was getting about 2 grains of unburned powder in the barrel after the shot. I changed to Fed 215 primers and all was well even down in single digit temps.

I just use match primers and never lok back. Maybe the diiference is in my head.

I use Match primers when avalible but during the past 2 years i got what I could.