• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer depth problem

Joe Perlo

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
Philadelphia, Pa.
My problem is TV. I watch TV when I prime my cases. I use a RCBS auto-prime tool and sometimes I seat the primer to deep. Now pulling the bullet is easy so I can recover the powder and bullet but how do you get the primer out of the case with out it going off? Now these primers have a dent in them from the firing pin. That's how I know there to deep. Joe

Re: Primer depth problem

Run them through your sizer/decapper just go slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muffler Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now these primers have a dent in them from the firing pin. That's how I know there to deep. Joe </div></div>
Are you saying you tried to fire these and have a firing pin strike mark on the primer? If so, this is usually the opposite problem of not being seated far enough or a bad primer.

Out of fifty, two would not fire. The primers are deeper than the rest of the group. They are not sitting flush with the case, they are a hair deeper. Joe

I thought a seated primer was supposed to be slightly below flush
.003 or so. I used to measure I go by feel now to make sure all primers are fully seated and useally always below flush. :) My .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muffler Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of fifty, two would not fire. The primers are deeper than the rest of the group. They are not sitting flush with the case, they are a hair deeper. Joe </div></div>

They're supposed to be seated 'below flush' to prevent slam fires. I think that the SAAMI spec is anywhere between .003"-.005" below flush, is recommended.

What weapon? What ammo?

Could be that you're resizing a bottle neck cartridge too much.

Could be that some of your primers are going tits up.

Could be that your firing pin is out of spec.

Could be that your hammer force is below spec.

Could be the reloading gremlins taking a bite.

It's probably not the fact that you're seating the primers below
flush.

Chris

Primers should sit slightly deeper in the head of the case, if you are getting light primer strikes then you may have a problem with your pin (dirt lodged) or some other issue.

I now use pocket uniforming tool and have it set to cut just until brass in there is shiny new surface and no more. I seat primers all the way as far as they will go so that they all end up the same. I have had no misfires from not enough firing pin striking the primer. It's all good & firing pin strikes them plenty enough still.

Just try going all the way with them. You can feel the bottom when they get there and they all be the same. Right or wrong it works for me, maybe it will for you?

Pull bullet, dump powder, put it back in the gun and pull the trigger a few more times. It'll go. Then deprime like normal.

The brass was new Remington. The primers are CCI. the gun is a 700 Remington in .308. When the rounds would not fire, I waited, removed them and when to the next round. I never measured how low the primer is sitting. I just noticed that it was lower than the rest. Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muffler Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The brass was new Remington. The primers are CCI. the gun is a 700 Remington in .308. When the rounds would not fire, I waited, removed them and when to the next round. I never measured how low the primer is sitting. I just noticed that it was lower than the rest. Joe </div></div>

Do yourself a favor and buy the Sinclair carbide large rifle primer pocket uniformer and drill adapter holder. You might as well get the small rifle primer version and save on shipping.

Do all of your target/match/competition/pimpy cases and then you'll be set.

The Sinclair tool has a predefined shoulder stop that won't allow you to go farther than SAAMI specs dictate. There is no guess work about how deep is deep enough.

It is possible that you have a case with an unusually deep primer pocket, but all primers should be seated below flush, for safety's sake

Chris

1. Take the two cartridges that did not fire and hit them again. If they fire on second strike, the problem is likey not seating the primer all the way. The primer should be seated nicely to the pocket.

2. If they don't fire on second strike, measure pocket depth between the cases that fired vs the two that did not. It's possible to have a pocket that's too deep.

3. If that's not it, the bolt assembly may be dirty or the spring worn out or the pin worn out.

My money is on #1.
smile.gif

Oh and stop loading while watching tv (or watching tv while loading). There is no good that can come from it.

Also CCI primers are very hard and do not dent as easy as other brands. I have fired other brand primers with my hand loads, same brass, same weapon and never had a problem. Switched to CCI and had misfires. I ended up changing my firing pin; this stopped the misfires but you can still tell the CCI primers do not dent as deep.

The two rounds that did not fire happened in the middle of the group and not next to each other. So with that in mind, I think the firing pin is OK, Maybe was a little dirty at that point. The CCI primers that AirborneFO talked about my be a factor. It was the first time I had used them. Joe

If the primers are too deep, the brass is trash.

I'd think they weren't seated deep enough and part of the firing pin strike seated the primer to the full depth. See that every now and then when someone isn't paying attention with tight primers, those fire on the 2nd strike.