• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer differences

Quackaddict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Minnesota
Hey guys, a conversation with a hide member got me thinking about this, and was wondering if you all could shed more light on differences in primers.

I had always thought it best to standardize primer selection to make my life easier, but because I am in the "try everything once stage" of reloading, is there a primer that tends to give better accuracy and performance than the others? I see Federal primers being listed in a ton of load's, but im sure there are a bunch of others using CCI's, rems and whatever else there is.

Do "benchrest" primers have a decided advantage over others? Excuse my ignorance, but I have found little on the subject other than "this is what i use"

BTW, I have been using CCI 200's for my load's.

Re: Primer differences

LOL! There is only one good primer don't you know. That's why all the others are just sitting on the shelves waiting to be bought.

Seriously, part of your load development should include testing for which primer works best. Over time, you may see that some powders do better with some primers. In general, stick powders can go with cooler primers while ball need hotter ones.

In my .308 I shoot Federal 210m primers... If I keep the load consistent and simply switch to CCI primers my group size almost doubles at 100 yards... Therefore I shoot the Federals lol... Just all depends on what your gun likes and how the ingredients mesh together. Play around with it a bit and see what I shoots the best and stick with it.

I found some BR2's will give those a shot tomorrow, will keep my eyes out for everything else, really wanting some of those 210M's but hard to find.