• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer for 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua Brass

I have been using the CCI 450s and Reloder 16 just because I had a good supply. The numbers have been good, but I have not tested any other primers yet...

I think the small rifle magnums are appropriate for them. I run cci 450's or br-4's(same cup dimensions).

I thought the idea behind using Small Rifle Magnum primers in large capacity Lapua small rifle primer type brass ( like the 308 Lapua Palma brass I use) was to ensure full ignition of the powder, especially at cooler temperatures. Yes? No?

I thought the idea behind using Small Rifle Magnum primers in large capacity Lapua small rifle primer type brass ( like the 308 Lapua Palma brass I use) was to ensure full ignition of the powder, especially at cooler temperatures. Yes? No?

My understanding is that the amount of primer mix is identical between a 450 and a BR-4. I don't know if that's true of other makes, but pretty certain it's true of cci. I think the small rifle mag primers predate cases like the 6.5x47 as well.

How has your load development been on this. grains? velocity?

I have tested with 136 Scenar-L and 142 SMK, somewhere in the 41.0 grain range (+/- 0.2 grains) I have found a good node. Velocity has been right under 2,800 fps. Barrel is 26 inches. I know there is most likely a higher node, but not needed for my shooting.

I've been shooting 6.5x47 for years and have found very little real world difference between 450's, br4's, and 205's, match or regular.

Glad you Creedmoor guys finally made it to the party though ;)