• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Primer for Mcmillan stock to Cerakote

ugsly

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2005
Oregon Linn County
I have a Mcmillan stock with molded in colors, It will be getting cerakoted but has some small areas that need to be filled with body bondo, sanded and then primered before cerakote. I have used PPG epoxy primer in the past but I would like to hear what you guys are using.

Thank you guys,
Casey

I hink cerakote is supposed to go on without primer. You sandblast it with aluminum oxide (i forgot the grit).
What if the primer is weaker than the cerakote? might start flaking and rubbing off because theprimer underneath cant handle the "stress"

NIC specifies total degreasing and blasting with 100-120 grit aluminum oxide or garnet. The blasting creates an etched surface for the coating to adhere to. Primer will not create a suitable surface.

Do NOT blast that stock. Best advice is to get water as hot as humanly possible that you can work with, Dawn dish soap and scrub the hell out of it. Use a scotch brite pad in there as well to rough the surface up. Let it dry and then mist it with acetone, don't let it puddle up or it will start eating the resin. Degrease good with acetone and commence to spraying. No need for primer

I use Glasurit high build urethane primer. This stuff is tough as nails and its the same paint system used on many high end cars. It does't shrink and is impervious to solvents once dry. This helps to prevent colors from dulling out too.