• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer pocket uniforming worth it or not

wyosniper

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
WYOMING
I have a sinclair primer pocket uniformer been using it, how much of a real difference does this extra step. I have hours into doing this step. I have heard the saying it makes for even seating of your primers which in turn makes even ignition of your primer. So i wanna know if anyone has actually had it work for them, and if it worth the extra effort. thanks

Re: Primer pocket uniforming worth it or not

If it makes you feel good and confident, do it.

In general, I do it, but I don't think it makes a lick of difference to us non-benchrest types.

Just yesterday I took out some ammo I loaded from once fired (from an m14) IVI70 nato brass. Annealed, FLS, pocket swayed. That's it...

42gr Varget, 180smk = 1/4 MOA at 200 yards. Fluke? Maybe, but I think there are far more important things to do...like shooting.

waste of time unless you just have the time to spare. nice to have done but i dontthink it does anything enough to justify the time spent on it.

I use it from time to time to actually clean the primer pockets when they get dirty. I use the stainless steel media, so they rarely get so dirty the media won't clean it up, but it happens.

Someone on the net had a study on the subject, Ceaser I think. Google will find it

I use it as well for cleaning - don't really care if it adds to accuracy or not because my abilities don't show the difference yet. After you do it the first time (new winchester brass seems to need a bit of it) it makes cleaning any primer residue in the primer pockets a breeze. I don't even bother with the little brushes any more - just give it a quick touch on the uniformer to scrape out any remaining residue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyosniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have heard the saying it makes for even seating of your primers which in turn makes even ignition of your primer.</div></div>

that makes sense to me , if you need to do it or not would depend on the accuracy your expecting.

I generally prefer LC Match brass and the pockets in them have always been fine. On some commercial cases extra effort is required to seat the primer below the surface of the head. On these I will take the Sinclair tool and do them.

When you start this you will find many of the primer pockets are not square or flat on bottom and they will cut different places first and then proceed to uniforming them all the way across.

By and large Sinclair has some nice tooling.

On the big scheme of things I think the most important thing is to have uniform neck wall thickness. On my 308 I will set my neck tool to take off just the high spots. Generally about .013 to .014 will do it on 308 cases.

I also like to uniform the flash holes with Sinclair tool.

Next to size the case without overworking the brass is key to long case life. For this I prefer a MO Gage and I set my FL die to set the shoulder back .001 to .002" and no more on bolt rifle.

I do it. I have learned from a couple of individuals that cutting primer pockets to a uniform depth helps with consistant seating and ignition. When i cut mine i found that i got better vertical.

One of the guys mentioned and it made sense that when a round is fired the case and neck blow out to fit the chamber this same expansion happens with primer pocket it pushes outward changes the primer dimesions.

So i now cut pockets.
Trevor

I uniform primer pockets on all my amm, excepting blasting ammo. With the Sinclair tools in a drill its a walk in the park...

An awful lot of very fine shooters have tested this over and over again. Bottomline for most is the results get lost in real world shooting.

Sometimes we do overthink the situation. If the flash hole makes a difference then certainly the wieght of the primer does as well. I mean its starts the whole process, consistency there is more important than the hole.

Or maybe not
grin.gif

Course some non-benchrest shooters dont load ammo like the 100 yard group crowd. Many of those BR guys dont use any neck tension, reload right there at the table.

Seems to me if you use enough neck tension to rough handle your ammo, have a bit of a jump so the bullet gets a slight stop at the lands you have built in pressure halts that give as much if not more consistency to the final result, a bullet leaving the muzzle at the same velocity time and time again.

Its like a plane sitting on it's brakes until the RPMs are up to a certain speed.

Now what I have seem time and time again improve group size seems to always involve the loose nut on the trigger and what he does time and time again to gain consistency.

Those who set their rifles up on so much support they are not involved in the actual shot, maybe reaming and squaring makes sense.

But I tend to believe its more placebo than actual for all but a super elite handleful of benchrest shooters.

I use it on my bolt gun ammo.
Just adds more consistency to the ignition process.

I suppose it just depends on where you draw the line when it comes to reloading precision.

Other things that people do or don't do:
- Weigh their charges to the 0.01 grain / use a Prometheus II
- Turn their necks
- Trim their flash holes
- Point their bullets
- Sort their bullets by weight and O-Give length
- Sort their brass & primers by weight

I have found this to be necessary with some of the recent lots of winchester belted mag cases (7mm rem mag mostly) I have bought. Some of the primer pockets have been so shallow that the primers are left well above the case head. The Winchester .308 brass I bought at the same time did not require it.

I do it when I need to, but I haven't seen any improvements in accuracy from doing it or not.

I just bought 100 rounds of winny brass and I could not get alot of primers to go in!!!! One thing is that after they are reamed the primers seat SO much nicer!

Primer pocket uniforming and flash hole deburring gets lost in the wind at long-range. Plenty of matches have been won with factory ammo that had neither done to it.

I do the PPUing. And I do it every reload step.

What I find is that each reload cycle, the PPU takes a tiny sliver of brass brom the edge of the PP. What this tells me is that if I did not do it, the PP would slowly change shape, ultimately changing the accuracy of the firing cycle.

It would be easy to argue that it would take tens of reload cycles before that particular case would have a hickup in the firing cycle. And I suspect this is true.

But is a tiny hickup worth it? To me it is not.

In my experience, every time you remove material from the primer pocket, you shorten the life of the brass (less split necks).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought 100 rounds of winny brass and I could not get alot of primers to go in!!!! One thing is that after they are reamed the primers seat SO much nicer! </div></div>

Sho' nuff got that right! I ream all my crimped brass and uniform both military and commercial brass. A high primer on an autoloader is an ugly thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyosniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a sinclair primer pocket uniformer been using it, how much of a real difference does this extra step. I have hours into doing this step. I have heard the saying it makes for even seating of your primers which in turn makes even ignition of your primer. So i wanna know if anyone has actually had it work for them, and if it worth the extra effort. thanks </div></div>

There's really two schools of thought on this: everything makes a difference and nothing makes a difference. I try to get every edge I can. If it can be done in a reasonable amount of time and it makes sense, I usually do it.