• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Pocket Uniforming

OzzyO20

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2014
London, KY
I never had an issue with the Lapua brass I use in my 6.5 CM, but the Norma brass for my 6XC seems to be a little erratic when it comes to primer pockets. I bought a case prep center off a buddy, and it came with a LRP uniform cutter and a flash hole deburring tool, so I already have the tools. Mainly wondering if it's wroth the time.

The issue I'm having is some of the primers (Fed 210M) go in buttery smooth, and some nearly crippled my hand towards the end of a 200 round priming session. The ones that were particularly difficult were protruding above the case rim when it felt like they were seated all the way. I put them back in my hand primer and used both hands to seat them flush. It worked, but it was a lot of force.

I would just try a few myself and see how they feel after I get the 300 pieces clean, but I am having had time finding out how to even set up the cutter. It is adjustable for depth, but I have no idea where to set it and how to check it.

Brass is all at 1x firing, and I hope to use the 300 pieces for the life of the barrel if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Forcing primers in will cost you in SD.
Leaving them sticking out is unsafe. If pocket depth is too shallow and you must use that brass your going to need to mill them deeper. If diameter is an issue you can swage them or cut them.

Which uniformer did you get?
To measure the pocket depths the most common way will have you use the depth gauge part of your caliper. First make sure you test it on a flat surface and that its 0 really is 0. Then place it over the primer pocket and see what your measurement is. Once you do that you can measure the actual dimension of the primer itself and see where the differences are at. Then you can adjust your cutter accordingly. I bet your norma pockets are in spec.

I remember my 6xc norma brass being very tight to start with but on 7 or 8 firings now they are just about where I like em, still nice and tight for many more firings. That was using cci 200 primers. I will try to get some measurements tonight when I get home for a comparison to yours.

You can also use a gauge

@spife7980 I'm not entirely sure. I can post a picture of it this evening if that would help identify it. It's a cutter with a black drum around it and a set screw to control depth.

Most pockets were OK, but some were exceptionally hard.

That describes just about all of them LOL

Just invert the process for measuring the pockets, put the caliper on the cutter and drop the depth gauge to the stop body. Or sacrifice a few cases and see what they get cut to.

K&M

RCBS

Lyman

Hornady

Redding

And a copy of the saami primer specs shown in that video, saami is flush to .008 low, most try to stick to .003-.005 below.

Reactions: OzzyO20
My 6xc norma brass has pockets .127 +- .002

My cci 200 primers are the .127 as well to the top of the stakes so the exact same size.
.113 for the outer cup material alone.

When primed my primers are .003 below flush meaning I crush it exactly that same amount. So with my lots of brass and primers it’s just about perfect imo.

I prefer a fixed type of tool over an adjustable one. I use a set from Sinclair. I use the same tool to clean out the carbon buildup. A few firings will cause a small amount of brass flow so its not uncommon to see fresh brass shavings.

UPDATE: My uniformer seems pretty seized up. I left it soaking in PB blaster while I went out to Texas for work, not much luck. May try a torch to get it free and if that doesn't work I'll order a new one.