• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

primer question

cmh2007

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Katy TX
i have a load that calls for winchester large primers, 35.9-44.9 grs varget and a 155 amax, would a change in primer brand be too bad of a deal? about the only thing i can find is wolf

Re: primer question

Understand that as primers go, Winchester primers are at the hotter end of the scale.

So when you substitute them with another primer, don't be too surprised if velocities drop a little.

Greg

While I don't load at the top of the load range, I haven't found significant differences in load performance with primer changes.

That works for me.

As all reloading manuals recommend, reduce your charge and work back up just to be safe.

If you ever get access to a chronograph load up 12 rounds with each of the primers available to you. All with same powder charge and all shot at same temp with same bullet. You will find the average velocity will vary.

For instance lets say you have four brands of primers and brand 1 gives 2521 Av vel and 2 gives 2653, brand 3 gives 2671 and brand 4 gives 2790. If you changer propellents you may fine no 3 will be slowest, No 1 the fastest etc. It all changes every time you change propellant and will drive you off the deep end. I started doing this kind of comparisons years ago and after a couple hundreds rounds gave up because I could not depend on a given primer giving repeatability when propellant is changed.

Seaaggie, i was in Carters Country today and picked up some winchester primers, i was at the one off of I10 and Voss, i think it was about 25 for 1,000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you ever get access to a chronograph load up 12 rounds with each of the primers available to you. All with same powder charge and all shot at same temp with same bullet. You will find the average velocity will vary.

For instance lets say you have four brands of primers and brand 1 gives 2521 Av vel and 2 gives 2653, brand 3 gives 2671 and brand 4 gives 2790. If you changer propellents you may fine no 3 will be slowest, No 1 the fastest etc. It all changes every time you change propellant and will drive you off the deep end. I started doing this kind of comparisons years ago and after a couple hundreds rounds gave up because I could not depend on a given primer giving repeatability when propellant is changed. </div></div>

Are those just examples or did a primer change really cause a 250+fps velocity change? I would expect a little variation, but damn...

-Slice

As Greg said but nothing that a small adjustment won't take care of s <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understand that as primers go, Winchester primers are at the hotter end of the scale.

So when you substitute them with another primer, don't be too surprised if velocities drop a little.

Greg </div></div>

cool, they must have recently gotten them in. they told me they didnt have any when i called them about a week ago