• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Seating Problem

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I got a new bag of 50 Winchester brass today and had six that I could not seat a primer in all the way so now these six brass are unusable. Has anyone else had this type of problem with Winchester or could it possibly be the primers?

Re: Primer Seating Problem

I haven't had this problem. I'd deprime the subject cases and check the pockets as well as measure the depth.

If there is crud or some brass that can be uniformed out you can do that. If they are defective, I'd try to return them.

I always square all my primer pockets with a primer pocket cutting tool. That ensures reliable feed square to the flash hole.

Yes, just do it slowly, (wear your safety glasses) and don't forget to lube the case the way you would normally when resizing. If you have a universal decapper then you can skip the lube of course. If it really bothers you you can do a kill method by spraying a penetrting lube like WD-40 into the case but then you'll have to degrease it later. It's not an instant kill and I've even seen where primers still worked after being "Killed".

The live ones come out the same way as the dead ones. I've never had one pop but you have to know it is possible. Some guys even re-use them but I toss them.

We're talking 4 cents each right?

Out of one box of a hundred .338 Lapua I had ONE with a shallow primer pocket. Good reason to unify them before the first loading.

Just another reason I use a "White Tail" primer pocket uniforming tool on new brass.

Thanks for the replies. I used water. I was very nervous about depriming live primers but in the end I had no problems.