• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

primer seating quetsion

DeadNoise

Legend
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
Nevada
im new to reloading and i am having a issue that is starting to get to be a pain in the a**. when seating primers i get maybe 3-5 in just fine then ill get a few that dont seat right and get damage and get to be hard to get out of the shell holder then have to go back and decap again. using hornady single stage press with all hornady gear. hornady match brass with cci primers.

Re: primer seating quetsion

a friend came to me with a similar problem with hornady brass, the primer pockets were not factory cut deep enough,when ypu tried to prime them on the press they would not seat deeply enough catching on the shell holder. when you entered the sinclair primer pocket uniformer you could easily place you thumb nail between the case base and the shoulder of the uniforming tool and if you removed the brass needed to fit the primer to the correct depth there was next to nothing left, i certaintly would not use them , hornady brass in my exp usually takes just a turn or two to ream the primer pocket, so i guess would be to carefully check the primer pockets with a quallity uniformer. i assume every thing on the press checks out, the primer cup is coming up dead center of shell holder and at the correct height.

I had the same problem with some 223 Lapua brass. I had to use the primer pocket uniformer before I could seat a primer. But, I do that anyway. BB

Just to be clear; are they going in straight, or tipping and going in sideways? I had problems with primers flipping when using the press arm on an RCBS. I had to adjust the primer arm.

Im running Hornady Brass and having the same issues!! Do some go in just fine and the others are tight as hell causing damage

Hand priming tools are favored by many ( I assume you are using the press to prime) for that particular reason.. Plus it's not a bad idea to use a uniformer on new brass, I uniform every loading

Check for crimp, some Hornady match is crimped, generally lighter than mil crimps and will sometimes take a primer no problem, but it really sounds like what you're dealing with. I load Hornady match brass in .308 and .223 there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what they crimp, but after removal they take brands of primer just fine.

i am fairly new to reloading, ill check that, and how abouts do you go about removing the crimp?