• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

primer seating

gunner52

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
US
I have some new brass and have to apply considerable force to seat the primers. They are at uniform depth and there is no apparent deformation that I can see with the naked eye. Will a slight deformation effect ignition to the point of effecting accuracy or is depth the most critical thing?. They all require the same pressure to seat and i'm using a RCBS hand primer. Should I open them up a bit with a uniformer? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Gunner

Re: primer seating

As I said, the uniformer will only uniform depth and will not effect sides of pocket. I use Russian primers that are very tight also. They loosen up and get easier to seat after firing a couple times. The beauty of tight fitting primers is they last longer before getting loose. There should be no effect on accuracy. On my new brass, you can actually see a flattened spot where I cram them in with the RCBS hand primer.

I definently hold the case away from my face when priming new cases......Neverhad a problem though.

Yea I've heard Lap brass was a pretty stubbern virgin brass. It should get a littl easier after you shoot it a few times.

I uniform all primer pockets as a matter of course. It is just way better for feeling the primer go down into the base of the pocket.
Makes the job of using a hand primer much easier and precise.
Once you do it you don't go back .