• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRIMER SITUATION

viking78

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
www.youtube.com
What is the current situation with rifle primers in US today?
In Europe, there are none.
Vihtavuori is making a factory, but it wont produce until 2026.

Have seen very little improvement over the last two years, some become available and quickly sell out. As mentioned that they are listed at 300% increase and with limits on purchases usually especially on SPP.

I have a stupid amount of components. I will keep buying almost everything I can get my hands on.
"Buy it cheap (or not), and stack it deep."- Army Jerry

I can probably go five full shooting seasons without buying anything, but I will keep buying it like the apocalypse is coming (because it is).

Hmmmm??? Let's see . . .

A huge increase in gun ownership and those who reload (big demand increase)
A war that's using up a lot of components
Sanctions on Russia where imported Russian primers are no longer available
A major company (Remington) production down during bankruptcy proceeding, production of primers way down
Covid-19 causing production issues around the world due shortage of labor
Supply chain issues for getting products shipped through our ports of entry
Cost of labor rising

. . . and everyone expects prices to stay low, really?

While we'll never see primer prices as low as they used to be 3 years ago, when all the dust finally settles, I expect we'll see price of primers much more reasonable, like at twice what they were then . . . maybe in 2 years.

The primer situation is perfectly fine. As an older guy who has observed the cycle of supply chain issues many times I learned to schedule, plan, and take advantage of the times when primers are available.

I don't expect gas to go back to less than a dollar as seen in my youth and i don't expect primers to go back to $27 per K delivered either.

Most gun shops, large sporting goods stores or gun shows in my area have either no primers, or very high priced primers of $120+ per thousand.

The primer situation is perfectly fine. As an older guy who has observed the cycle of supply chain issues many times I learned to schedule, plan, and take advantage of the times when primers are available.

I don't expect gas to go back to less than a dollar as seen in my youth and i don't expect primers to go back to $27 per K delivered either.

Most gun shops, large sporting goods stores or gun shows in my area have either no primers, or very high priced primers of $120+ per thousand.
We have no large rifle primers available at any price besides auction insanity. Powder order just came into my LGS, first time I’ve seen Varget/4350/4831/H1000 in several years. Limited to 2 lbs per powder. When primers were available they were $13/100, limit 200. I would buy 5K is they would let me. My LGS does not list or sell powder/primers online so the locals have a couple days to buy every several months.

LGS had H1000, Retumbo, H4350 and H4831SC come in in the last few months. Just had Fed 210 and 215’s come in this week. Getting better. For now anyways

• Wow
Reactions: ACard
The reloading components have become more and more available over the last couple months and prices have come down some. Doubt it will ever come even close to what it was a few years ago but it’s improving.

Online is and always has been the only option for me around here, even before Covid and the broken supply chain the LGS around here would charge crazy prices, well we thought they were crazy they were pretty much about the level of today's prices!

I'd be happy to see normal availability (no limits on purchases) at prices at 0.05-0.07 a primer, I agree we wont see 0.03 primer again most likely.

Last year I was able to get 300 LRPs for $21. That was it for months. The. Found some from a private seller, but it was 8 hours away. Did that. Then found some at the LGS for $15/100. Bought all they had. That’s kept me going. Don’t feel bad about spending the $, but the time is a different story. Don’t have time to drive around and see empty shelves at the stores.

Reactions: simonp
In New Zealand primers have been very very hard to get since 2020, powder, brass and projectiles are also a nigthmare.
I think I've seen a single new delivery of federal 210/210m primers since 2020 and the price was 3x times what it used to be.

We get powder somewhat frequently so if you plan ahead it is ok.
Projectiles similar but certain Hornday projectiles are very hard to get, Lapua projectiles aren't coming in at all, nor Lapua 22lr ammo.
Brass isn't too bad other than crazy prices.
Primers are more or less unobtanium, people are selling 20 year old primers for crazy money.

I have enough powder, primers and projectiles for 700 round for my 260/6.5CM but after that I have no idea what I'll do.

• Wow
Reactions: simonp

I am old and well stocked also, but who cares about our good fortune when primers are scarce . Folks here are not looking for someone to preach to them or boast . :rolleyes:

Pretty much an ongoing scam here. Price gouging from all sellers. Primers that were $30 per brick are now selling for $150. and more people are finally getting smart and not paying the prices they want. Cost of materials may have gone up slightly but there is no reason for this at this point.

Reactions: Yote Klr
Felt like I hit the lottery yesterday. My wife was at a local academy yesterday and they had cci 450's so she snagged me a thousand. They had a four box limit on them for a long time, I guess that's done.

Been calling the local places for powder and still nothing on that front. Haven't seen any large rifle primers in some time. Small rifle and pistol are popping up pretty regularly though.

I have a spot for primers pretty regularly for 10 bucks per hundred. Not a great price but not bad these days too.

And no, you rapacious hoarders aren't getting the info from me, lol.

Reactions: lash
Pretty much an ongoing scam here. Price gouging from all sellers. Primers that were $30 per brick are now selling for $150. and more people are finally getting smart and not paying the prices they want. Cost of materials may have gone up slightly but there is no reason for this at this point.
No one is price gouging because that term does not exist in the real world.

Do you think Labor, Energy, Material costs along with demand have increased since 2019?

I swear its amazing some of you made it this far in life, natural selection is failing us.

Last edited:
I have a spot for primers pretty regularly for 10 bucks per hundred. Not a great price but not bad these days too.

And no, you rapacious hoarders aren't getting the info from me, lol.
And that is honestly a reasonable price. Primers are the CHEAPEST part of the reloading process. Anyone shooting PRS and bitching about primers is like complaining about the music they are playing on the titanic as the ship goes down.

Here is the math for those that failed basic reasoning (Not you MK20, just the other dolts in here)

Alpha 6mm flavor Brass = $1.25 per = $.125 Assume you get 10 firings out of it, because you will lose it before you split a neck/primer pocket.
Good Bullets. = .40-.50 per. (berger, sierra, Lapua)
30-38 Grains of Powder. $50-60 lb = .21-.33 per charge
Primers. $100/1000 or .10 Per. Old Prices are .035 to .05 per.

People are literately fucking bitching about 5-8 cents per round. Each round will cost you $.75 on low end to almost a dollar on high end.

Then add match fees, accessories/consumables/gas/lodging ect. Shoot a 2 day match and the whopping primer cost for 300 rounds is $30 instead of $15.

Not to mention you probally spent 5-10 hours doing case prep and reloading for those 300 rounds. Time that is worth more than your hourly rate, you can never get back.

You really care about $15 when you just spent over a grand to shoot?

People bitching about primer prices are fucking retarded for 2 reasons. Either they are too Dumb/Lazy to source them (And they have been available all through the plandemic) or they are too fucking stupid to realize its not a material cost.

So if you want to actually shoot, just buy them for $100 or $125 a brick or whatever. Its the cost to play. If not , pickup a new hobby and stop bitching about it, becuase most of us are tired of non shooters complaining about shit they don't understand.

You know fuck all about why primers or anything else is priced as it is

Typical ignorat dumbass with zero knowledge of economics, pricing, manufacturing, or business in general.

I have a stupid amount of components. I will keep buying almost everything I can get my hands on.
"Buy it cheap (or not), and stack it deep."- Army Jerry

I can probably go five full shooting seasons without buying anything, but I will keep buying it like the apocalypse is coming (because it is).
Me too. Remember ... it's not "hoarding" if you REALLY want lots of it.

I have more LR primers than I know what to do with. I doubt I'll need to buy more for the next 5 years or so.

Don't have large pistol because I don't use any. I have several thou of small rifle, hardly ever use them.

I go through small pistol like shit through a goose, thank God for Murom, Fiocchi, and Ginex

Its a complete shit show. The situation in Sweden is as follows;

Norma powder has gone up 120% if you can find it anywhere.
Primers has gone up between 80-120% if you can find some.
Bullets are scarse, if you shoot 6mm you are pretty much completely shit out of luck.
VV powder has acctually been more level, and has only gone up about 25-50% which is cheap in todays world.

But what else can be expected. Several countrys armed forces are gearing up. The war in Ukraine needs hardware. I am sure that more than a few manufacturers have switched to war-production.
I sometimes feel that the days of shooting sports are numbered. But at the very least, it will take years for things to even out...

I stopped in two gunshops in south Italy when I was visiting in September. Both had primers on the shelf and were getting €10 per 100 so about the same as here.

You know fuck all about why primers or anything else is priced as it is

Typical ignorat dumbass with zero knowledge of economics, pricing, manufacturing, or business in general.
And you do. You crack me up. LOLLOLLOLLOL! Usually children revert to name calling when they don't know what they are talking about.

No one is price gouging because that term does not exist in the real world.

Do you think Labor, Energy, Material costs along with demand have increased since 2019?

I swear its amazing some of you made it this far in life, natural selection is failing us.
Like I said. Scam. It's amazing how some people made it this far in life.

Like I said. Scam. It's amazing how some people made it this far in life.
Isn't it amazing how the cost to produce primers somehow went up 500% in the middle of a pandemic when inflation was at record lows.

Primers people have had on their self for 10 years magically doubled/trippled/quadrupled overnight.

Seems like primers are the canary in the coal mine for inflation.
The economy works in mysterious ways....

Isn't it amazing how the cost to produce primers somehow went up 500% in the middle of a pandemic when inflation was at record lows.

Primers people have had on their self for 10 years magically doubled/trippled/quadrupled overnight.

Seems like primers are the canary in the coal mine for inflation.
The economy works in mysterious ways....
Correct. I just checked and the car I bought new 2 years ago for $40K has tripled in price today to $120k just like primers have tripled due to labor, energy and material costs.

I have so many damn primers I'm actually thinking of selling some.
Same with 22LR ammo......

Am I the only person on the damn planet that saw this shit coming 20 years ago and prepared for it ?
I have never paid more than 50 per thou for primers, and I've never paid more than 35 per lb for powder.
Bullets, meh, not going to run out any time soon.....and if I do I have a Corbin bullet swage along with casting ability.

Some of you should seriously look into a Corbin bullet swage.
You can make stuff every bit as nice as ELDs or Bergers.

Correct. I just checked and the car I bought new 2 years ago for $40K has tripled in price today to $120k just like primers have tripled due to labor, energy and material costs.
Go try to buy a F250/350 with a 6.7 in Lariat/KR trim.

100-120K. Same truck was 60K a few years ago.

Its called supply and demand.

If people weren't paying those prices, they would come down.

If people didn't think primers are worth 100-125 a brick, they wouldn't buy them and prices would come down.

Since people are willing to buy them, so much you cant even find them at inflated prices, it means you are fucking dumb.

Reactions: 308pirate
Primers in my area are going for around 12 per hundred. H4350, which I was surprised to find on the shelf, was going for around $60 a pound. I admit, I've drastically cut down on the shooting and matches I go to now. Single 1 day match, once all the fees, driving, reloading components, comes to around $400. It's priced itself out for me for now.

And you do. You crack me up. LOLLOLLOLLOL! Usually children revert to name calling when they don't know what they are talking about.

Actually, I do, since costing and pricing product is part of my job.

Isn't it amazing how the cost to produce primers somehow went up 500% in the middle of a pandemic

Primers are the absolute most labor intensive of all the metallic cartridge components. Guess what was in short supply during the pandemic and even more so today.............LABOR

In case you were wondering, wages have been on an upward trend in the USA (for the very same reason) over the last three years.

Just laid into 3K small pistol primers at 83 cents each, delivered. FYI they were 67 cents pp ex hazmat and freight.

Reactions: gigamortis

Go be poor somewhere else

How is it a Scam when Supply meets Demand?
There is a rather large assumption in this ^^ statement. That is, that supply shortage is justifying the incredible price increase.

The term "gouging", IMO, is most often used to describe rapid and large price increases NOT associated production costs or capacity, taking advantage of some external non-cost/capacity related condition to jack up prices, and a resulting huge increases in profit margin at the expense of customers.

Now, I...and I believe nobody else either....do not have any insight into, for example, Jason Vanderbrink (CCI, Fed, Speer...right, Vista?) operation and profit margins in order to support such a statement. We did see the videos he published where he rather angrily stated that their production was running 24x7 at full capacity and denied any sort of artificial supply constraints.

However, I don't think its entirely unreasonable to speculate on this subject and with panic buying now tapering off (yeah, wasn't Varget available over a whole weekend at Powder Valley recently) we will see if prices ever come down. I'm pessimistic on that score and, if such pricing does persist, then I wonder what the response will be from the Keynesian purists.

Cheers

Last edited:
you really just have to look for them we just picked up 8 boxes of winchester large rifle primers the price was higher than I wanted to pay but it is what it is better to have and not need than to need and not have even if we are getting a bunch of delayed fires from the other Winchester primers we have . but we had to get creative to get them while I am looking constantly online we also have family in other states looking at there local stores , and we ourselves check almost 12 different stores some on tuesday the others on Saturday when i know they put out what they get in make lists and maps to every store that might sell them be a stalker like hunter of primers .and best of luck . the average cost is around 119. per 1k the most we have paid is 140. per 1k

Reactions: Baron23
Not looking to the day I have to buy primers again. Prices have gone up 5x since I bought my last case of primers. 100 bucks per thousand is insane.

You have to learn to shop, stuff comes up cheap(er) and if its something I use I buy it.
PV had cci450's during the spring for $375/5000 so I bought them, last week Midway had 80gr VLD bullets for $30/100 so I
grabbed some.

Right now 145 gr .264 Match burners are $100/500, a bargain.

You have to learn to shop, stuff comes up cheap(er) and if its something I use I buy it.
PV had cci450's during the spring for $375/5000 so I bought them, last week Midway had 80gr VLD bullets for $30/100 so I
grabbed some.

Right now 145 gr .264 Match burners are $100/500, a bargain.
Just checked. Great price but on clearance probably means they will no longer be made anymore.