• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer storage concerns

HayStax

Battle Born
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
BFE, NV
What are considered to be the optimum storage conditions for primers? As in location, humidity and temp, hazards etc...

I’m planning a basement reloading room which happens to be my current mechanical/boiler room/storage area. I plan on storing bulk of primers and powder in garage or storage container but have some concern to potential degradation due to temperature extremes. I live in the high desert so humidity is not really a factor. Other option is farm shop where combustible/flammable load is already probably considered high.

Thanks!

I would try to keep it away from an ignition source, probably not stored against an exterior wall that gets direct sunlight (in the northern hemisphere, probably north side exterior walls would be best), interior walls would be better.

Beside that, just put them somewhere where they will be left alone until use, probably separate from powder.

I'd be more concerned with the powder than primers.

Powder can go bad with poor storage but primers can detonate and under the wrong conditions could be a lot scarier than a gunpowder fire.

For me, safety first, then worry about heat cycling your powder too much.

I use a large plastic bin on a shelf. Keeps the air fairly constant temp and being in a closet it doesnt get major heat exposure from a vent or sunlight. Also if it does decide to go boom, the plastic bin wont become a frag grenade like a metal ammo can.

I don’t store my primers this way, but I’ve got a good one.

35 years ago my Dad decided he would start getting some equipment and components together to reload for his Chief Ammo Waster (me). He purchased a case of Winchester small rifle primers and promptly forgot them in his van. Fast forward 20 or so years and the van had been sitting in the yard in New England as a storage shed. It came time to clean it out and scrap it, and I found the case of primers. I loaded those primers in practice and fireforming loads. Every damn one went BANG like they were supposed to.

Yeah, now imagine a car fire.

That would be good for some laughs.

A house fire that the fire department won't approach because you have a few thousand primers popping off might really suck.

It's not that primers won't survive poor storage, it's that poor storage increases your risk. You don't want an ignition source near it so a boiler room is a bad idea. Don't keep them on the floor of a closet and then toss a kettlebell on top of them.

A little bit of common Sense will go a long way.

Anyone here ever have a primer go off during storage?
Hard to imagine too many scenarios that would result in that. Maybe if you stored them on top of your wood stove in the winter time (on top of, not above)? Otherwise, it seems very unlikely.
Just store them out of heat and humidity. Nothing more complicated than that.

Store them in a stable temperature environment with low humidity away from sunlight or heat and not in a ammo can.

The ammo can will pressurize and explode like a bomb. Same goes for smokeless powder. Store on a open shelf or a Rubbermaid container with a lid.

Reactions: Threadcutter308