• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

primer substitution

hessian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
oregon
I loaded some 38's and 357's before noticing the 357's require a mag primer. Do not have any, store have none and I do not care enough to pay for mail order. I'm only doing a couple hundred. BUT, a few 357's failed to fire in double action. Lotsa reasons possible for that, but I was wondering if I might sub small rifle for the small pistol mag with acceptable results. Anybody do that? Opinions? Thanks

I have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds of 9mm and 40 S&W using small rifle primers, there is no issue doing this other than you will need a stronger firing pin spring and that is more than likely the reason you had your issue

I have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds of 9mm and 40 S&W using small rifle primers, there is no issue doing this other than you will need a stronger firing pin spring and that is more than likely the reason you had your issue

I'm surprised this wouldn't increase pressure of the round.

from what I have found, the only difference is the cup hardness
Interesting. I would have thought there would be a larger, stronger flame front from the rifle primers as they are required to burn more powder. I.E., more poop to them.

by the same token then what would the effect be in Large Rifle v.s. LR Magnum primers in a bolt gun ? anyone tried this ?

I just reloaded 300 rounds of .357 with standard small pistol primers (Winchester) and had no problems out of three different revolvers. Used 4227 IMR powder. Joe