• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primers cratering on 5r WTF!!!!

jellybeenz17

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2011
Well, that doesn't look right?.
Powder: Varget.
Primers: WLR.
Case: Win.
Bullet: 168 hpbt SM.
Grains:43.25 then down to 40.
It craters in the 5r. It does not in the XCR
Both rifles are in .308
Any ideas, opinions, new bad words i can use??

Re: Primers cratering on 5r WTF!!!!

sorry wrong form can addmin. move to "the bolt action"

Chances are you have an oversized firing pin hole. If the loads are not showing any other signs of pressure then you should be fine to run it as is or if it bothers you, have your firing pin turned and your boltface bushed and you will have cute little primer dents and no big ugly craters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chances are you have an oversized firing pin hole. If the loads are not showing any other signs of pressure then you should be fine to run it as is or if it bothers you, have your firing pin turned and your boltface bushed and you will have cute little primer dents and no big ugly craters.</div></div>

+1 and I would add that I wouldn't spend the money on messing with the bolt face. Mine has been doing it since I got it in 1993.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chances are you have an oversized firing pin hole. </div></div>

Every Remington I own does it, and none of the custom actions do.

Mine does it too. Doesn't matter, Factory Corbons or hand loads. All should be well.

-Matt

Happened to me many times with Remingtons. I installed a bushing on the firing pin hole and problem gone. Be careful using max loads because I've done that and had gas and tiny bits of metal smack me in the face. I'd drop a C note and bush the firing pin hole.

going to swap out firing pins, (xcr to 5r) try factory match ammo, and crono my reloads. Is ther anyone that owns a 5r that has crater the primers. or am i making a big deal out of nothing??

My 700p leaves a pretty tremendous crater regardless of the load. It seems to be pretty typical for 700's. I can usually differentiate between a crater caused by overpressure and the normal one because the overpressure has a sharper edge.

YMMV

Yep, totally normal. I can pick brass up at the range and usually tell if it was fired from a factory Remington.

All of my 700's crater the primers. Since that is the part I throw away when reloading...not really worried about it.

Pierced primers are a different matter.

This site is so great. Just finished my 5r build yesterday and noticed this cratering today. I was thinking wtf, these loads are light. Come on here and see the same thing is normal to Remy's. And I can sleep tonight

My bolt does it too...

I know i'm bit high on powder when the bolt gets sticky. I even stopped looking at slight extraction marks. I get them shits all the time. even with ridiculously low charges

CCIbr 2 primers have a thicker cups, that might be an option. I have experienced this with factory rem bolts. Wear eye gear bud.

I shoot CCIBr2s in a 5r and they still crater. Remingtons have an oversized firing pin hole and will crater primers. You won't be able to use cratering primers as a pressure indication in a 5r.

My Remy 700's all leave a crater as well. Just shoot it.

Out of curiosity, what is your seating depth cablecardude? If have a 5R and run Hndy Match Brass (similar to Win capacity). The factory Remington rifles have a long throat so there's lots of wiggle room on seating depth. Both good and bad consequences to this. I run 44.6 gr Varget at one seating depth just fine, but if I seat .02 longer, I start to get sticky bolt. However, as others have said, I have a 'micro crater' every time I fire and don't worry much about it. Would be good to know your velocity to easy any fears.

My 223 AI on a rem action craters bad. With moderately warm loads a cci 450 would pierce. I just switched to cci nato 41 primers and I've been able to get the pressure up without piercing. I can do it with rem7.5's too because they have a harder cup as well but the 41's shoot better. cci makes a nato spec large rifle primer too. I'd give it a whirl if you start to pierce primers.

Or just send it to Gre-tan and get it bushed for about $80.

Bb

You will gain a couple things when Gre Tan bushes the bolt face, Greg will bush the BF and regrind the fireing pin to .062 so there is less chance of a pierced primer, and when he install the bushing he makes it long enough so when finished you end up with a guided fireing pin that is fully captured,and won't be bouncing around behind the bolt face trying to find the hole when the sear drops which can inprove accuracy!

I have a 5R & LTR in 308 - both show a little cratering as does my SPS-T in 223. As has been said, it looks like a Remmy thing but nothing to get too worried about.

OFG

I was wondering the same thing. I have an older (70's) Remington in 7mm Rem Mag and it doesn't crater at all. But, the new .308 SPS Tactical I bought craters anything and everything right out of the box. At fist I kind of panicked thinking I did something really wrong with my reloads. But, after rechecking everything, my loads are fine (and not that hot). I just figured it had something to do with the shape of the boltface. It's good to hear it's a normal thing.

if you look real close at your bolt you will see why it craters like it does.it looks like they center drilled the fireing pin hole for some unknown reason.my 5R ( 308 ) doesn't do it at all.now my 5R in a 223 really does it something bad.just look for the other signs of pressure when working up a load.look for ejector marks,or bolt lift.

one day I will have it fixed but see no reason right now for it shoots like it is.

This answers the same question I've had for a while. Same thing with my 308 5R with Federal Gold Medal Match. I had the same reaction ... WTF?

I am fairly sure the Rem sps will always do it out of the box. I think they designed it that way. ^5r milspec is on to it.

I can load just a primed case, subsonic, mild, med, or hot load. The primer will still look the same on my sps, nice round "crater." It scared the hell out of me at first, but it is definitely not from over pressure on MY rifle, or I bet a lot of other rifles with the same style firing pin. My typical load is 23.8g varget and 69smk. Slower load, but very good and easy on brass in that rifle. Not overpressure, but still craters.