• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

primers

“The diameter and depth of the primer pocket is what determines what primer will work properly. A small pistol primer will seat too deep in a small rifle primer pocket and may not go off due to a light strike. Pistol primers are shorter than rifle primers, [this is] true of both large and small primers. A small rifle primer in a small pistol pocket will end up being above flush with the base of the cartridge.”

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/10195/where-have-all-the-primers-gone/

SAAMI disagrees.

PrimersandPrimerPocketDimensions_zpsc6686def.png

And I've loaded a metric ton of SR primers in handgun brass. Never had a issue seating below flush.

I loaded a bunch of 40 SW with SR primers, and found that I averaged about 5% FTF with light primer strikes in a Glock 35. The SR primers fit, but a striker pistol may light them inconsistently. My intent was to simplify my primer inventory, but I went back to SPs for my 40 loads, and they work fine. Just my experience.

I was making the point they will fit SP. I used the in DW revolvers and Contenders.

Well, I tried it out. They fit fine and actually were not much different over the chrony.I shot three each of CCI small pistol, CCi small rifle and Wolf small rifle. the wolf were the slowest. They were loaded in .45 ACP Speer brass with 185gn Nosler jhp's over eight gn. of power pistol.

Fps

cci sp

cci sr

wolf sr

Small Rifle and Small Pistol primers are dimensionally the same.

Large Rifle and Large Pistol primers differ in the height of the primer. The diameters are the same.

I agree with Eddie.. I shoot 40 super which is prone to primer flow. Using small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers reduces this because the small rifle primer has a thicker cup but still dimensionally the same.

I loaded a bunch of 40 SW with SR primers, and found that I averaged about 5% FTF with light primer strikes in a Glock 35. The SR primers fit, but a striker pistol may light them inconsistently. My intent was to simplify my primer inventory, but I went back to SPs for my 40 loads, and they work fine. Just my experience.

Maybe because the small rifle primer has a thicker cup.. however I shoot them in my Glock 21 (40 super conversion) and never had an issue.