• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Priming 338 Lapua with Lee handpriming-tool?

Customizer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2010
Scandinavia
Hi
I am about to start loading to a 338 Lapua. I have previously only loaded smaller calibers and I have then been using the Lee handpriming-tool.
The problem is that I can not find a shellholder that is supposed to fit the 338L.
Are anyone of you guys out there using this tool to prime your 338L?
If you do, I would appreciate if you could tell me what shellholder you are using.
I use the older model of the Lee handpriming-tool. I suppose the newer model use the same shellholders but I am not sure.

All help about this are welcome.

Re: Priming 338 Lapua with Lee handpriming-tool?

Hi You cannot use the lee unit to load primers cus the case wont fit into the tool. I have to use the press which isnt great but at least it gets me to shoot this round. Im waiting for my 21st Century shooting tool which looks the dogs....

Not necessarily true. I used a Dremel and ground the opening on the Lee tool and crimped a batch of 338L last week. I can't remember which shellholder I have in it. I can check later and post it. This applies to the older Auto Prime tool. I don't know if you can make this mod to the newer improved version.

Hi
Is this something you know for a fact or do you only think so?

The reason why I ask this is because I looked in Lee precisions homepage and I could not find a shellholder for 338L, BUT I found one for 416 Rigby and that is the parentcase for 338L.

When I checked the dimensions of the two cases I found the 338L to be just a tiny bit smaller in the rim diameter. 416 Rigby 0,590 in and 338L 0,588 in. 416 Rim thickness was 0,065 in and 338L it was 0,060 in.
Based on this I tend to believe that I could use the shellholder for 416 Rigby to my 338 Lapua.
If someone know for a fact that I am wrong about this, pls let me know.

Ok, I think I missunderstood DeSilva. I can see the problem now when I look at the tool and measure the opening.
But like you said, it cant be to big problem opening it up a little.
I would appreciate if you can check what shellholder you were using.
The one for 416 Rigby I believe would work was nr 8.

Thanks

From what i understand from Lee is they will be bringing out a purpose made shell holder the 338 lapua for a new design primer tool in about 4 - 5 months time.

I used a Number 8 Lee shell holder for the auto prime. Fits fine as far as I can tell. I use a #35 Redding shellholder on my press.

Hope that helps.

I think this is 'old news' that you cannot use 338lm with the lee. I have a lee XR hand primer and my 338lm fits. The shellholder is in the other room, so I can't remember what number it is but I can look at it if need be. The only thing I do remember is that the trick is to use rcbs shellholers and not lee shellholders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only thing I do remember is that the trick is to use rcbs shellholers and not lee shellholders. </div></div>

Why do you say that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only thing I do remember is that the trick is to use rcbs shellholers and not lee shellholders. </div></div>

Why do you say that? </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing.
How do you do to make an RCBS shellholder fit in the Auto prime?

I opened the top of the Lee Auto Prime with a Dremel sanding drum and used the #8 shell holder. It worked. I have since switched to the RCBS as I like it a lot better.