• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Private long range backstop maintenance help

irishman

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
May 17, 2019
I have a dirt berm as a backstop for my 1000 yard range. Being it's on our land, and not open to the public, the backstop doesn't get enough use to keep it from being overgrown.

For those who have their own ranges, how do you keep the vegetation off of your backstop? It wouldn't be a huge except it makes it hard to see bullet splash if someone misses the target.

Current method is simply to spray it and use a weedeater. I'll keep doing that for now, but thought there might be some others who have figured out a better solution.

Thanks for the help

Theis,

Unfortunately no. I hadn't thought about that though. Great idea.

The berm is about level with my shooting platform and the lay of the land is such that it wouldn't hold water well. The berm is on top of a rise and during the summer doesn't get much water. The ground is very rocky as well and digging there is not easy.

Glyphosate

Pramitol is a sterilant so that would keep anything from growing for a while
I wasn't aware of Pramitol. That sounds like a great solution. Especially when I only need to spray a small area.

I've been using Glyphosate but it's an ongoing battle.

I very much appreciate the info.

Reactions: Reload10
One thing that will help spotting impacts is to cover the berm with rock dust from the local quarry. When wet sometimes it's tough to see 6MM splashes but anything bigger isn't a problem. I have not used it past 1K but anything is better than dirt.

Sahara or Mohave herbicides (brand names) is what we use on the ranch. Don’t want to use it under the drip line of any trees you want to keep though.....

Installing a larger target is easier then cutting the weeds down.

White beach sand.
Shit doesn't grow in it.

Or, if you have phosphate mines near you, then tailings. Or, gypsum from a coal fired power plant.

We have billions of cubic yards all around here.

Installing a larger target is easier then cutting the weeds down.
Agreed. I have a 30" steel plate out there. For me that's fine, but not everyone has the same amount of experience at 1000 and getting them on target can take a minute sometimes. Anything bigger than a 30" steel target gets pretty pricey (or maybe I'm cheap).

We get cross winds most days and I'm usually holding about 1.6-2 mils for windage. That's a big target if I'm spotting for a new shooter.

Are there better targets than steel for spotting? I always thought dirt was an easy backstop for spotting.

Agreed. I have a 30" steel plate out there. For me that's fine, but not everyone has the same amount of experience at 1000 and getting them on target can take a minute sometimes. Anything bigger than a 30" steel target gets pretty pricey (or maybe I'm cheap).

We get cross winds most days and I'm usually holding about 1.6-2 mils for windage. That's a big target if I'm spotting for a new shooter.

Are there better targets than steel for spotting? I always thought dirt was an easy backstop for spotting.
Build a sand box around the target not much grows in sand that a little roundup can't kill off or use a salt brine to spray on the weed you have now.

Layer the berm with wood chips. Usually 2-4" thick is enough to provide weed control. Bullet splash will still be visible.

Reactions: candyx