• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Private NON licenced reloaders

Loopm5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
USA
Buyer beware. I would not think any one on here would purchase reloaded ammo from a guy on the net with no credentials. But I have noticed lately on Gun broker and other sell sites this is the new norm. Found a guy that reloaded some Black Hills match cases with 168gr SMKs and placed a target on there for all to see his reloading skills. The 10 shot group was at least 5 to 6" at 200yd. He offers no disclaimer and says he has been doing this for awhile. But on his next sale ad is the Rem 700 5R that he chamber checks his reloads with. And he is using a progressive 550b to reload precise ammo for sale. I know there are some that use a Dillon to reload MATCH ammo but I wouldn't trust it for sale to the public from a guy in his basement.
I think this is just not good and the liability would be huge.

Just some thoughts.

Re: Private NON licenced reloaders

I don't even like shooting reloads from people I know. Unless you make them yourself you can't be certain it was done right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Unless you make them yourself you can't be certain it was done right. </div></div>

True 'dat. I WAS going to have a guy I know do some loads for me many years ago until I saw his bench and "system". He must have some penchant for collecting all manner of powders and primers and talked like he was an expert about how some brands are similar to others and not to worry too much (!).

No thanks. Factory rounds or load your own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't even like shooting reloads from people I know. Unless you make them yourself you can't be certain it was done right. </div></div>

Bullshit.
I load for freinds when they need it, freinds load for me when I need it. The ammo is fine.
Now I wouldn't trust just anyone, but if you know the person, and their gear, habits, go for it.

How else are you ever going to shoot someone elses gun? Around here, I don't know a soul that shoots factory ammo.

You' d be surprised what is loaded on a Dillon for Match ammo, there is nothing wrong with it...

Like others have said, not just anyone, but there are some who load very successfully on a Dillon.

I get ammo loaded from others all the time, in fact my Match ammo is loaded from others... Not big companies either, smaller shops, one man operations in some cases.

Thanks LL,
I hate it when someone a third my size has my back, but in this case it's OK!!!

But I would only assume you LL would get ammo from others you trust. Plus if you blow a finger off regardless of if the ammo was at fault or not it would be a factor in a court case if one came up. Plus if you were to have a firearm accident and others were harmed you could be held accountable as would the person loading the ammo. I say don't load for anyone but your self just a thought. As far as the small one man operation's go there is a certain liability to have. And you being out there in shooting community open's you up more than most. Slim chance but one none the less.

If I know and trust the person I have no problem shooting ammo they loaded, don't matter if it's their gun or mine. I load rifle ammo and I have someone that loads pistol ammo and we trade all the time.
I have loaded ammo for friends that just started shooting and didn't have the equipment to load their own yet. Most of the time I would have the help with case prep or bullet seating so they get some hands on experience.
But no way in hell would I buy reloads off Gunbroker from someone like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You' d be surprised what is loaded on a Dillon for Match ammo, there is nothing wrong with it... </div></div>

Yep!

Do y'all think Federal, Black Hills etc have PhD fellows sitting at reloading benches configured with a single stage press and a 10-10 balance beam?

No they have multi million dollar facility's with quality control and automation. Not 550s Your apples to oranges analogy is a bit flawed. But that really wasn't the point LOL

I am sure the Dillon stuff and {I have 5 machines from that company} are fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do y'all think Federal, Black Hills etc have PhD fellows sitting at reloading benches configured with a single stage press and a 10-10 balance beam? </div></div>

I'm not sure about Black Hills, but Corbon loads all their stuff on Dillon's.

I recall a test in Accurate Rifle magazine some years ago comparing .223 ammo loaded on a single stage to the same load on a Dillion. IIRC, Dillon gave up about 1/8-1/4" MOA over single stage loads. Above all, trust the source.

Grand,

Don't suppose you recall who wrote that article, do you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides which, it is illegal for him to do so. </div></div>

Only if making it a business. If just selling off some reloads he had left over nobody other than the person buying them gives a care.

Loading in one's spare time and trying to make some extra bucks is not only against federal law but also just about every State and Local law where a business license is required for ammunition "manufacture".

milo...I have had the experience wherein a "friend" loaded up some ammo for his .25-06 and asked if I'd sight in the rifle. First shot ruined the bolt and froze the case into the face of the bolt and the chamber. Turned out he had several powders on the bench, and instead of 4831 he had loaded Varget, or "something (!) similar". Ruined the rifle. Damn near ruined me. I will NEVER, EVER fire someone else's reloads. Never. Ever. Trust but verify. (Reagan)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grand,

Don't suppose you recall who wrote that article, do you?
</div></div>

May still have it. I'll check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">milo...I have had the experience wherein a "friend" loaded up some ammo for his .25-06 and asked if I'd sight in the rifle. First shot ruined the bolt and froze the case into the face of the bolt and the chamber. Turned out he had several powders on the bench, and instead of 4831 he had loaded Varget, or "something (!) similar". Ruined the rifle. Damn near ruined me. I will NEVER, EVER fire someone else's reloads. Never. Ever. Trust but verify. (Reagan) </div></div>
FNP
In your case it's justified, and I don't blame you.
I trust my freinds, have watched them in action. I guess if I saw 3 diff powders on a guys bench, I'd run too!!

I don't use other's reloads whether I know them or not.

To me, reloading is a big precentage of the enjoyment of shooting.

It does't have to be little guys who screw up. I got some Remingon 38s that wouldn't go off in any of my revolvers. I had to use them in my Marlin '94.

Also remember a time when the then DCM issued ammo for leg matches. They sent us a bunch of M-72 (Lake City) that someone forgot to put a flash hole in the cases before they stuck in the primers.

As a side note, John Whidden, who is no slouch behind a rifle, loads all his match ammo on a Dillon progressive press. He advertises on here, so it's safe to say that his company offers machined toolheads for the some of the Dillon progressives. Makes a big difference.

Former Naval Person and kraigWY:

Would you fire ammo from CorBon?

How about Southwest?

Custom reloads of Dallas?

Mind you, I'm not asking if you'd <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">buy</span></span> ammo from them (as I'm sure you load most/all of your own... I'm asking if you would fire it.

If so, what's the difference? A license to do it legally?

...Just wondering...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullshit.</div></div>You make a good point milo and that's a very persuasive argument, but I'm still more comfortable with my own reloads
grin.gif

Armchair,
I surely respect your stance also.
I''ll clarify a little, I shoot other's reloads for my gun.
I don't shoot ammo loaded for someone elses gun in my guns.

And if I'm going to shoot someone elses gun, I make sure they take at least the first five shots. I'd never shoot someone's gun if they were developing a load.

For me, half the fun of going shooting is getting one's dickbeater's on someone elses gun, and wasting their ammo!

Turbo...yes I'd fire those companies listed...they are loading tested loads on a controlled line, and they don't have jugs of different powders sitting around the bench...and, they are loading...not talking on their cell phones and playing with the wife/girl/boyfriend at the same time. Actually, reloads are, in my opinion more reliable if done right. As pointed out earlier, quality control is important. I had a collection at one time of 9 different cases, in 3 calibers, without flash-holes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Former Naval Person and kraigWY:

Would you fire ammo from CorBon?

How about Southwest?

Custom reloads of Dallas?

Mind you, I'm not asking if you'd buy ammo from them (as I'm sure you load most/all of your own... I'm asking if you would fire it.

If so, what's the difference? A license to do it legally?</div></div>

I don't shoot ammo from any of those guys, nor Remington, Nor Winchester, etc.

It's not really that I have anything agaisn't them (except Remington 38s). But I don' use hardly any factory ammo for my rifles.

Like I said, a good precentage of the fun in shooting is reloading.

There are exceptions. I sometimes carry Winchester 38s LSWCs in my 642 pocket revolver.

Another is Speer 64 Gr Gold Dots. I taught a LE Sniper School where they used that ammo, so they gave me a couple cases to work with before the course.

I did shoot a heck of a lot of Army bullets when I was in the Guard also. But they don't give retirees bullets.

But no, I don't have anything against the outfits you mentioned.

I really like my reloads. I cast my own pistol/revolver bullets, and for most of my rifles.

I even make my own jacketed bullets for my 375 H&H.

See, I don't mind using other people's reloads if I know their habits and how well they load. I have a friend with a single stage reloading setup and he usually measures all of his charges and stays within the books, so when I shoot his stuff it is perfectly safe and usually very accurate. Now I have an uncle who I know has terrible reloading habits, never measures a charge, just makes ammo as quickly as he can and is usually off somehow, when we go to the range he is usually getting blown primers left and right and shotgun patterns on his targets, which he thinks is fine, I wouldn't shoot his stuff in any of my rifles even if I was on an expensive hunt, forgot my ammunition and all I had was his stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See, I don't mind using other people's reloads if I know their habits and how well they load. I have a friend with a single stage reloading setup and he usually measures all of his charges and stays within the books, so when I shoot his stuff it is perfectly safe and usually very accurate. Now I have an uncle who I know has terrible reloading habits, never measures a charge, just makes ammo as quickly as he can and is usually off somehow, when we go to the range he is usually getting blown primers left and right and shotgun patterns on his targets, which he thinks is fine, I wouldn't shoot his stuff in any of my rifles even if I was on an expensive hunt, forgot my ammunition and all I had was his stuff. </div></div>

You need to take your uncle aside and tell him to either do it right or stop reloading even if its only for himself, Got a old guy at work kinda does the same thing, when he reloads for his 300 Weatherby just fills the case up and takes the leftover and scrapes it off the top, he also gave my huntin buddy a load from his 243 that was loaded with a max load of H4895 and the 70MK, he said, shoot it, itll be fine, he shot it and had a nice sticky bolt and a flattened primer, Id have never shot that if it were me, good thing I reload for myself because I dont trust anyone, but I do reload for a lot of guys and girls at work and numerous relation. I like to think I know WTF Im doing, LOL!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a old guy at work kinda does the same thing, when he reloads for his 300 Weatherby just fills the case up and takes the leftover and scrapes it off the top</div></div>

About 25 years ago I shot silhouettes with a guy who did the same with 7TCU (as I recall). He said it was not possible to overload. Can't recall the powder, but he was right. Without vibrating the case to settle the powder, you couldn't exceed the max published load. I remember inspecting some of his fired cases and saw no signs of excessive pressure. I never felt a need to try it.

I dont trust others loads for the most part. I do shoot with some guys that I would run their ammo if I lost mine. They are squared away shooters and always place high in the field in the matches we shoot. All load on single stage presses and weigh all charges one at a time.
I would not say no if they loaded on a progressive press either. It all comes down to who is running the equipment and their attention to detail.

My best friend worked at aurora gun club back in highschool. He loaded some trap shells back then. Around 1993ish. About 4 years ago he went out with me to shoot trap at cherry creek. He dug out his handloads and brought them along. It went something like, BANG,pop,BANG, BANG, poof. I happened to look over at the last shot. I noticed the change in sound between the shots so that is why I looked over. The gun goes poof and I shit you not I saw shot roll out the end of the barrel and fall on the ground. The look on Benny's face was priceless. I was laughing so hard I totally screwed up my run that round. That is what I think about when I hear other people talking about using other peoples handloads.

There is one close friend whose handloads I'd trust, and maybe one other.

I'm extremely hesitant to consider providing another with my own handloads.

I trust them for myself, in fact I consider my load development standards to be relatively conservative, but that's not the issue. The issue is that I have no control over what someone else might choose to do with those handloads.

Even if my loads are in no way contributory to a hazardous event, I could reasonably expect to be hearing from some hotshot lawyer in such an event, and simply put, who needs that? I would rather not lose sleep wondering whether I might need to consider top of the line personal liability coverage.

Likewise, I have no control over what someone else makes on their press and offers me to shoot.

If it creates significantly negative issues, what do I do if my medical insurer and their legal advisors chooses to thumb their collective noses at me when I try to pay some ridiculously enormous medical bills?

Liability s not about the trust. It's about the risk.

Greg

I have seen more issues with factory loads (big name companies that wont be mentioned) than basement reloads.. Just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen more issues with factory loads (big name companies that wont be mentioned) than basement reloads.. Just sayin' </div></div>I don't use factory loads but I would think there would be more recourse if something went terribly wrong while using them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen more issues with factory loads (big name companies that wont be mentioned) than basement reloads.. Just sayin' </div></div>I don't use factory loads but I would think there would be more recourse if something went terribly wrong while using them. </div></div>

Probably only if you sue them.

More often than not they blame the rifle or the shooter.

Only exception I've seen is when they realize they had a problem with some zimmo in the factory loading pistol powder in a rifle production machine. Then they recalled the ammo.

Not just that ^^^. Another problem is too much priming compound. THAT will ruin your day, and your firearm, right there.

I know this from personal experience. And the ammo company did quite well by me, voluntarily. I came out ahead in this case, as has been stated many times. Ammo companies (in general) don't want to make enemies out of their customers. And we all have friends to whom we talk to. Well, almost all.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't even like shooting reloads from people I know. Unless you make them yourself you can't be certain it was done right. </div></div>

Bullshit.
I load for freinds when they need it, freinds load for me when I need it. The ammo is fine.
Now I wouldn't trust just anyone, but if you know the person, and their gear, habits, go for it.

How else are you ever going to shoot someone elses gun? Around here, I don't know a soul that shoots factory ammo. </div></div>

I loaded 2800 rounds of 260 Rem, 223 Rem and 308 Win for a buddy who bought a few nice tactical type rifles during '07-'09. It was over a two plus year period and he hadn't gotten into reloading yet.

He was happy as a clam with the money I saved him and we could tweak things as he progressed through his weapons.

Frankly, I did have the thought..."what would happen if a ka-boom occurred," but I didn't lose any sleep over it. It got to be a chore and I was loading more for him, than for myself, but I know what I'm doing and he realized it, early on.

I totally understand both positions, not shooting others' reloads and doing so, but if you know the person and understand their methods, a lack of faith won't turn that 'good' ammo into 'bad' ammo.

Chris

Mech1, I am miss reading your post? I gathered you were warning of people reloading for a PROFFIT with out a liscence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stranded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mech1, I am miss reading your post? I gathered you were warning of people reloading for a PROFFIT with out a liscence. </div></div>
I can't speak for Mech1, but you didn't misread. All threads on this site get hijacked sooner or later. It's customary.
This one didn't take very long though.
Even though I'm just as responsible, I blame Armchair for it!

Grand,

Just curious, since I wrote an article some time back that sounds like it just might have been the one you were referring to. In that one, there was literally no difference, zero, between ammo loaded on a single stage and that loaded on the Dillon 550. This was over something over 100 ten-shot groups over a several day period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See, I don't mind using other people's reloads if I know their habits and how well they load. I have a friend with a single stage reloading setup and he usually measures all of his charges and stays within the books, so when I shoot his stuff it is perfectly safe and usually very accurate. Now I have an uncle who I know has terrible reloading habits, never measures a charge, just makes ammo as quickly as he can and is usually off somehow, when we go to the range he is usually getting blown primers left and right and shotgun patterns on his targets, which he thinks is fine, I wouldn't shoot his stuff in any of my rifles even if I was on an expensive hunt, forgot my ammunition and all I had was his stuff. </div></div>

You need to take your uncle aside and tell him to either do it right or stop reloading even if its only for himself, Got a old guy at work kinda does the same thing, when he reloads for his 300 Weatherby just fills the case up and takes the leftover and scrapes it off the top, he also gave my huntin buddy a load from his 243 that was loaded with a max load of H4895 and the 70MK, he said, shoot it, itll be fine, he shot it and had a nice sticky bolt and a flattened primer, Id have never shot that if it were me, good thing I reload for myself because I dont trust anyone, but I do reload for a lot of guys and girls at work and numerous relation. I like to think I know WTF Im doing, LOL!! </div></div>

Oh trust me, I've tried to get him to stop reloading, or at least listen to me about loading safer ammunition, but he sees me as the new kid to reloading and thinks I am arrogant for some reason (does safety really make me arrogant?), he also seems to think blown primers are normal. I've already shown him that my loads are more accurate and that they are perfectly safe with no malfunctions, but he is so stubborn in that somehow he thinks his loaded ammunition is better. Obviously you can tell I don't really get along with the guy, especially since the rest of my extended family now asks me to make their ammunition, since they trust me more now...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even though I'm just as responsible, I blame Armchair for it! </div></div>Ha! You're a funny guy milo! It's true that I helped hijack the thread, but only because I wanted to talk about something else
laugh.gif
. I can't imagine too many people defending the practice of buying reloads through the mail from Jo Baloney the mysterious reloader anyway. Whether or not to shoot reloads from somebody you know is a far more lively debate.

And rightfully so Arm.
Did you notice I got it back on track, and someone comes and wants credit for some publication from years back, shame!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And rightfully so Arm.
Did you notice I got it back on track, and someone comes and wants credit for some publication from years back, shame! </div></div>LOL! YES, but I was too polite to point it out. Hijacked it the very next post
cool.gif
. Nice move Kevin.

Stranded,
If you think this one got fucked up, go to the ELR section; Is the .375 and .408 Cheytac here to stay.
They're on phone apps now.
Hide Nature!
smile.gif

I have a friend that loads pistol and I load Rifle.

If I have people ask me to load them ammo. I just tell them I can show them how, and THEY can use my equptment when I am arround.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See, I don't mind using other people's reloads if I know their habits and how well they load. I have a friend with a single stage reloading setup and he usually measures all of his charges and stays within the books, so when I shoot his stuff it is perfectly safe and usually very accurate. Now I have an uncle who I know has terrible reloading habits, never measures a charge, just makes ammo as quickly as he can and is usually off somehow, when we go to the range he is usually getting blown primers left and right and shotgun patterns on his targets, which he thinks is fine, I wouldn't shoot his stuff in any of my rifles even if I was on an expensive hunt, forgot my ammunition and all I had was his stuff. </div></div>

You need to take your uncle aside and tell him to either do it right or stop reloading even if its only for himself, Got a old guy at work kinda does the same thing, when he reloads for his 300 Weatherby just fills the case up and takes the leftover and scrapes it off the top, he also gave my huntin buddy a load from his 243 that was loaded with a max load of H4895 and the 70MK, he said, shoot it, itll be fine, he shot it and had a nice sticky bolt and a flattened primer, Id have never shot that if it were me, good thing I reload for myself because I dont trust anyone, but I do reload for a lot of guys and girls at work and numerous relation. I like to think I know WTF Im doing, LOL!! </div></div>

Oh trust me, I've tried to get him to stop reloading, or at least listen to me about loading safer ammunition, but he sees me as the new kid to reloading and thinks I am arrogant for some reason (does safety really make me arrogant?), he also seems to think blown primers are normal. I've already shown him that my loads are more accurate and that they are perfectly safe with no malfunctions, but he is so stubborn in that somehow he thinks his loaded ammunition is better. Obviously you can tell I don't really get along with the guy, especially since the rest of my extended family now asks me to make their ammunition, since they trust me more now... </div></div>

Let the old focker blow himself up, some of these old guys think they know it all and wont listen to us younger guys, got them at work, too.

Just not worth it Guys. You need to consider the litigation risk in everything you do these days. If his gun blows up it might not even be your reload that did it. But do you have the resources to prove it wasn't?

These are the times in which we live. God help us all.

Sherlok

So whats this mention of multiple powders on a bench? LOL I have like 8 different powders on my bench. Granted, its a large bench, but I reload for so many different calibers, I have to have different powders. Is there some cardinal rule for having only one jug of powder on your bench at a time? Obviously, if something were to spark the powder in my trickler and charge thrower are gonna go first, but heck if a charge goes in while your seating a bullet your basically staring at hand grenade.

Maybe, one of the wise reloaders will do a bench setup and safety thread. Id be interested to see how yall have it set up for both safety and being efficient with your movement through the processes.