• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Private range liability info needed.

B

boomer81

ive been working all summer on a nice little range. Rifle wise I can get out to 1200yds.
But right now I'm finishing off the handgun carbine section of the range. I would like to host some tactical 2 gun rim fire matches. I think it could take off around here. 3 gun has never taken of in my area. Due to cost. But everyone I know has a ruger mkiii or buck mark and a 10/22 or ar variant. So I think I could get it rolling. Not for profit most of the people there would be invited guest. It would be made clear they are not welcome there unless I am there. The land is in a living trust of my father but I am a trustee.

So if I write up a release stating me my dad our living trust etc is not liable. And each and every person here is at their own risk and is aware of the dangers of firearms and must wear proper safety equipment. And forfeit all rights to take legal action if a accident or any kind were to occur due to negligence acts of god physical injury through competition etc on this property. And they signed and dated every time we shot. Would that be enough to cover us. It's not just the shooting if someone twisted their knee while running or damaged there vehicle or you got the picture would that form hold water in court. And I'll tighten it up post range safety rules and have a clearing barrel etc.

im not a legal guru...as a matter of fact, specifically on the topic of litigation...i suck. However I know a guy who's private range I use in my area, and there is a fee...although it is none profit. The fee is used for a key...the 99% of the $60 goes to a money pool for insurance. Not sure if its for OTHER peoples liability or if its required by the county or BLM since the range boarders on BLM...but the word insurance might be something you can look into...if not for a good answer, maybe for some better light reading. Sorry couldnt be more help. Sometimes private ranges become a great thing for people doing serious training.

Got some advice for you. Call "Paul Bunyan Range" in WA state. Get in touch with the right officer (half the members are officers it seems like). I know they know a LOT about the laws and rules and bullshit involved in running a range. It's part of an NRA trust IIRC. It has to be insured and it's expensive and can be hard to do; if you have neighbors they have to okay it, if you have an active local political system, they'll probably want something out of it too.

CYA, because if someone does get hurt or shot, you WILL be sued and it would behoove you to CYA now instead of trying to later. People throw shit at the wall just to see if it sticks these days.

Know what the max ordinate of any given round fired there will be and what will happen if they fire beyond the limits. Are there houses 15 miles out? My range had to put in expensive concrete baffles on the range because ONE .30 ball skipped the berm and was found in a neighborhood. Just one. It was that or close it down.

I'd hate to run a range, but I'd love to have my own personal one.

Also talk to a proper attorney, I'd think an NFA attorney would be good as they deal in trusts and firearms daily. His advice will mean more than mine or my range's. The advice can sometimes be had for free.

It's in the middle of nowhere we own most of the land connecting to it for miles. No city just county. It's in Oklahoma so nobody gives a fuck.if I can't get a release that will cover me for just mainly family friends then I won't do it. Fucking lawyers ruin everything.

Dude, get the free advice, just remember to CYA. I thought you were opening a more public range. Family and friends? I'd imagine you could just make them beneficiaries and that would hold them to the legal aspects of the trust, such as fault, etc. But talk to a lawyer first. NRA is a good place to call, like I said, my range is an NRA trust. They know a lot about that stuff.

If it's just your land and you want to shoot and let you family shoot, I don't see why you'd need much more than a quick check to CYA and you should be good. Most families won't sue family for shooting themselves on family property, but not all families are the same.

There were some folks around here that used to let people shoot on their land but they started fighting over who could shoot where and they started leaving trash. He finally closed it completely. But all he had you do was sign a witnessed statement saying you shoot at your own risk and you assume all faults and responsibilities while on that property. I'd do that at a minimum, that and talk to a lawyer or someone that knows their shit.