• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Private Range Now A Housing Development

hugo121175

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Near Reading, PA
So, there I was, I drove up to an old friends house on my way to my cabin in Speculator, NY. I would normally just stop by, shoot the shit, and then we'ld go shoot at a private range of about 800yds. Well, the last time I was up there was about a year ago, and now there are houses on the property.

Does anyone know of a 600 or 800 yard range close to Orange County, NY? By "Close", I mean up to a 2 hour drive....

Thanx,
Hugo

Re: Private Range Now A Housing Development

That really sucks,when I was working in the Palm Springs,CA area,the place we used got turned into Sun City West.

a housing development near our range is filing suit for the noise.

Were it not for being on DNR land they'd put houses there too...

Range built 1939
Housing Dev built 1999

WTF?

I can't help you out, but feel your pain. I can't even shoot on the family farm anymore because it is surrounded by house!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a housing development near our range is filing suit for the noise.

</div></div>

And it gets worse!
A "Police" training facility built and funded by tax payer money was closed in near by Jefferson county due to complaints filed by homeowners who <span style="font-weight: bold">knowingly built</span> houses in new subdivisions surrounding the training center.
Really? WTF?

Unfortunately this story is heard all too many a time. What would be nice is if suppressors were no longer an NFA/GCA item. A health and safety issue really.

Sounds like you all need to do what the Gun owners in PA did. Got the lawmakers to enact a law protecting estblished activities. In other words places like pig farms, airports, rifle ranges that were already established are protected from the "city trransplant" that wanted out of the city but complained hat "EEEW the smells" or what's that noise?

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speculator is in the middle of nowhere NY. Lord have mercy if that's developed!

When on my first biggame hunt there in 1963... Oh sweet lord how life goes by. </div></div>

Specutalor is where my cabin is. My frind lives down near Amsterdam, and that's where the range was. Where my cabin is, you can only get 200 to maybe 300yds. I'm on Lyme Leasing Lands.

Need a range protection law...got one here in NC.

Or, like my range here at the house, built with a huge flood zone area behind it....i will never have neighbors other than some wildlife. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a housing development near our range is filing suit for the noise.

Range built 1939
Housing Dev built 1999

WTF? </div></div>

Is that the Kenmore range?

The Pioneers had similar problems. When 'civilization' encroached, they moved. A good idea is a good idea, no matter when it got originated.

Range built 1939
Housing Dev built 1999

WTF? </div></div>

Can the range countersue the developer for non-disclosure to the buyers and/or did the buyers have to sign an agreement understanding that a working range was in the near vicinity?

This kind of shit drives me crazy. People say "oh, I know it's there, ok." Then they sue 6 after 6 months. That's the same reason that Nazareth, PA is no longer a race track town.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember freezing my ass off years later in the Speculator Inn . My wife killed her first buck there in 1982. </div></div>

The Seabiscuit Inn was always good for Booze, Broads, and Boxing all in one funny filled night. I stay at the Spectulator Inn when I can't get into my cabin. The cabin is 8 mile off of Perkins Clearing.

Ahh yes, the common "I had now idea I moved in next too......" Raceway Park in Jersey had that issue, but they settled on no racing past 10pm. Odd, ask anyone in the tri-state area if they ever heard of Old Bridge or Englishtown, and the first thing you hear is " there is a big drag strip there, right?" But homebuyers seem very un-aware.

I guess airsoft is the wave of the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess airsoft is the wave of the future. </div></div>

Not if you plan on shooting 800 to 1000 yds.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Local PD range here is having to shut down due to apartments going up right next to it.

Even LE gets boned.... </div></div>

City Councilman the developer? How the hell are they finding financing in this market?

Surprised they can't grandfather this in.

Actually the developer owned the land prior to them building the range and he informed the PD of his intentions to build the apartments.
The local powers that be said screw it.
They would worry about that when the time came.

It's a shame, because the range is really nice.
It has 360 burms and night lighting.

The only saving grace is that the range was built with almost no out of pocket money.
The reservist sea bees came in and constructed the whole thing.
Additional labor was provided by the local prison.
Only expenses were materials.

Oddly enough, this is the second time they have had to abandon a range due to encroachment.

When I retired and moved to Wyoming from Alaska I wanted a place that I can shoot in my own yard. I fond a place, 29 acres with no covenents or zoning requirements. I spent days in the court house researching the area to make sure I wouldnt have any problems building a range.

Then I talked to all the neighbors, no problem, they shoot in their yard too. So I buy and start shooting.

I have only 400 yards, and shoot toward a rather high ridge (about 500 feet) and behind the ridge is a higher ridge, which is also on my property. You have to use a mortor to over shoot the range.

Fast forward 16 years. My closest neighbor sells out and new neigbor moves in. She don't like the noise and says its us-safe. She calls the Sheriff on my son who was shooting one day.

Sheriff comes out, looks around, tells her its perfectly safe, no way in she in danger and adds, if the noise bothers her, Move back to town, telling her that I've been shooting for over 15 years and there is nothing anyone can do.

I'm not worried about the future, this canyon I lived in is wedged between the state line (South Dakota) and one of the largets ranches in Wyoming. The owner of the ranch is kind of anti goverment and has more money then the county could ever come up with. He's sucessfully won every battle he's had with the Feds, BLM and IRS. So if they were so inclined (which they arnt) there is no way they could move their rules out here.

It just takes careful studing to pick your place to live so you can live your life style you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I retired and moved to Wyoming from Alaska I wanted a place that I can shoot in my own yard. I fond a place, 29 acres with no covenents or zoning requirements. I spent days in the court house researching the area to make sure I wouldnt have any problems building a range.

Then I talked to all the neighbors, no problem, they shoot in their yard too. So I buy and start shooting.

I have only 400 yards, and shoot toward a rather high ridge (about 500 feet) and behind the ridge is a higher ridge, which is also on my property. You have to use a mortor to over shoot the range.

Fast forward 16 years. My closest neighbor sells out and new neigbor moves in. She don't like the noise and says its us-safe. She calls the Sheriff on my son who was shooting one day.

Sheriff comes out, looks around, tells her its perfectly safe, no way in she in danger and adds, if the noise bothers her, Move back to town, telling her that I've been shooting for over 15 years and there is nothing anyone can do.

I'm not worried about the future, this canyon I lived in is wedged between the state line (South Dakota) and one of the largets ranches in Wyoming. The owner of the ranch is kind of anti goverment and has more money then the county could ever come up with. He's sucessfully won every battle he's had with the Feds, BLM and IRS. So if they were so inclined (which they arnt) there is no way they could move their rules out here.

It just takes careful studing to pick your place to live so you can live your life style you want. </div></div>

Amen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I retired and moved to Wyoming from Alaska I wanted a place that I can shoot in my own yard. I fond a place, 29 acres with no covenents or zoning requirements. I spent days in the court house researching the area to make sure I wouldnt have any problems building a range.

It just takes careful studing to pick your place to live so you can live your life style you want. </div></div>

Amen </div></div>

Food for thought.

What's a shame is that we need to research for a day or better and hopefully be rich to fight a frivolous lawsuit from someone else. There are a lot of things I don't like but I deal with it because I am not one to encroach on someone else's right/choice. Too many people feel like they are the only one that matters or that they are more important or valuable than me or the next guy. It's a shame how things have become.

And another reason to apply "loser pays all attorney fees" in law suits. That'll prevent many of the BS suits from big money/chamber of commerce/yuppie crap backed interests.

Even NY has protection for established ranges.

Only issue is from projectiles leaving the property. That's never good!

Still looking for my own personal 600 yd or better range.

Range built 1939
Housing Dev built 1999
WTF? </div></div>
This is happening A LOT here in Euroland as well.

A lot of skeet ranges and motorcross pits are getting beaten into submission by formal complains, new city/town laws, environmental protection laws,... Then they complain of course that bikers, quads, etc end up racing on public roads instead of private MX pits. I wonder how that happened?
wink.gif

Very irritating since we already have very few outdoor ranges worth being called that...

A local range here had a 7.62x54 round end up in a neighbors bedroom.
link

most gun clubs will tell you that they are one lost projectile away from being shut down at all times. My range, kind of in a rural area harps on that all the time and I can see why.

This email came from a fellow who runs a IDPA over to Tioga NY - I guess this is getting around, I dare not comment on my life experiences regarding this issue.

<span style="font-style: italic">Fellow shooters,
In case you had not heard the Lewistown Patriot Match has been canceled
If interested, read through Walt’s note. I don’t have all of the details, but from what I have heard, the club has legal problems with some of the neighbors. So far, a few of the contestants have let the club keep their match fees to help pay for legal fees, which is very generous and should be commended.
While the club will accept donations, they are NOT canvassing for them.

One reason I am sending this forward is because this is the second club in a year that I am hearing about where this is happening. People move into an area knowing there is a gun club nearby, and then complain about gun fire and file lawsuits. This could happen anywhere so if we get educated on other clubs’ proceedings, we will know what to do if it happens in our area.
Thanks</span>

I live on a family farm in the North East Ga Mountains, which I have had my own private range on for 18 plus yrs. Had a retired lawyer move in and decided he didn't want me shooting. Long story short, I've got a neighbor that is pissed off and wants to dictate what I do on my own property. Think he has been pissed off since he got here and I guess he'll be pissed off till he leaves. The only problem I have is I don't have enough ammo to shoot for a couple hours a day. Funny how people decide to move and when they get were they are the first thing they want to do is fix everything just like it was from where they came from. Any range that goes under attack from stuff like above needs to be fought. To bad you can't file a law suit for ignorance of other people.

We live on a small acreage in the middle of no whereville. I have a pistol range on site that I practise in year round. Once the crops are out, I set up steel in the empty field that borders our property and shoot 2-3 rounds (rifle) a week on that. I can get out as far as 750-800 yards on that. In just the last year a family built a new house straight south of us (673 yards, but who's counting), so there goes one direction of fire I can't use. Now the neighbor across the road from us is building his son (a 40 something year old that can't "figure" things out on his own) a house directly across from my pistol range (maybe 40 yards away). I commented to the dad that he's building near the "noisy" end of our property, and he's ok with that....for now. Until son moves in and son's girlfriend/wife doesn't like the noise from that. You can see where this is going. The damn world is filling up! I've already told my wife that one more new house and our place is going on the market. I live where I live so that I can shoot...period. When that goes away, so will I.

Hahah I love these stories of these city slickers going into the boonies and trying to change things to "fit" their idea of how it should be. Just shows you how delusional these people are.

"Need a range protection law...got one here in NC.--- Or, like my range here at the house, built with a huge flood zone area behind it....i will never have neighbors other than some wildlife."

I live in western NC on 10 acres. I have a private 100 yd.single point range in the flood plain of my pasture, no one will build behind the back stop. My county has an ordinace that prohibits wildly firing even on private property but protects those who are firing safely into a back stop protected area; I support that rule.

In the last 22 years I've had new folks who now cover two sides of my property to sic the county cops on me twice. They were courteous each time and, after seeing where I was shooting, wished me a good day and left. I suppose it scorched the strongly accented, funny sounding imports who think that they should be able to dictate to us local hayseeds as soon as they arrive in the south. Not here tho, at least not quite yet!

"<span style="font-style: italic">.... What would be nice is if suppressors were no longer an NFA/GCA item. A health and safety issue really.</span>"

U mean like in the UK.. where once you have permission to purchase you can accessorize at will (just about)..
RJ

We lost a dirt roundy round track, and the road course next to it. Same deal, building houses by an airport and 2 race tracks and want it quiet. Luckly still plenty of room to shoot
grin.gif

Lot easier to put the gun case in the truck, than move a whole race track.