• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Probability- question

the important takeaway is that even though this is an easy question of choosing between TWO doors, it shows that people can be influenced by something they read or see on the internet enough to actually believe somebody is allowed to choose 2 out of 3 doors on the game show.

they only get to choose one door (for the win) and yet we have members here that think cut and copying silly numbers makes them more correct.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
The correct answer per OP is as @theLBC stated.
The problem was with the question. A key piece of info was left out of original OP. Without googling I agreed with LBC.
If I change the original question per below (bold/underlined), then yes I agree odds go from 1/3 to 2/3 by switching.

So I’m listening to a book on Math

The book covers the game shows on TV

The contestant is shown 3 doors and told that behind 2 doors is a crap prize and the One door conceals a new car

Contestant picks door #2

Host (has knowledge of what is behind each door) then builds excitement by opening a different door- say they open door #3 revealing a crap prize.

There are now two doors left- one had crap one has a new car

Door #1 and
The one the contestant picked- door #2.

Host asks-do you want to stay with your original pick of Door #2?
Or change you mind and select door #1?

mathematically / probability say you should change your mind and select door #1

You should now select door #1 to increase your odds of wining.

without googling the scenario -

agree / disagree?

why?