• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Probably a Dumb Question

WALLYBOB

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jul 2, 2020
    I've just stepped onto the yellow footprints (Paris Island reference) of NV. Just picked up a PVS-14 and a Luna Elir3. I'm looking for a pointer/illuminator combo at a 'reasonable' price. PA will be allowing NV for night hunting as of September 1 and I plan to take advantage of it.
    My probably dumb question is... if I bought a laser pointer, is it possible to zero using a visable barrel laser and the ir laser? Thanks in advance.

Any visible boresight laser is going to bloom like hell under NODs and wash out an IR laser.

Quickest/easiest/best is to sight your NV-compatible RDS at 50/200 as you normally would, then at night pick an object 200-500 yards away and align the IR laser with your RDS dot through your NOD.

You’ll never take a shot beyond 200 yards using an IR laser, so anything 200 and in will be more than good enough.

It's also possible to zero your laser as if it was an optic. Point it at a thing. Shoot. Look at where the holes are. Adjust.

I prefer cowitnessing off an optic. A bore laser is the LAST thing I'd do. I'd boresight before I did that.

Ancient chinese secret for zeroing IR/Vis laser: take one of those reflectors on a stick that you can buy at ace hardware for 5 bucks, walk it 100 yards out and place it in the ground. Put your NODS on and set your rifle up on a bipod/rear bag so that the NPA is centered on the reflector. Turn the laser on and simply walk it to the reflector. When you see the reflector flash, youll know you are good to go.

If you buy any of the "slaved" laser options then you can sight the visible laser to the day optic and just switch to ir when it's dark...

Ancient chinese secret for zeroing IR/Vis laser: take one of those reflectors on a stick that you can buy at ace hardware for 5 bucks, walk it 100 yards out and place it in the ground. Put your NODS on and set your rifle up on a bipod/rear bag so that the NPA is centered on the reflector. Turn the laser on and simply walk it to the reflector. When you see the reflector flash, youll know you are good to go.
    Daddy likes.....🤗