• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Probably a semi stupid question

phillip61

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2012
texas
I have been shooting my rifle quite a bit lately. For the longest I was only able to shoot 100yds. But now me and a friend have built a multi target range at his house out to 600yds. My semi stupid question is this. I have my ballistics chart which tells me how much drop at "X: yards, but it's in 50 yard increments. How do you determine how much drop at a "in between range". I don't have it in front of me but it says something like 8.3 moa drop at 400yds and 10.2 moa at 450yds. So what if you are shooting 437 yds? Is there a way to accurately figure that? Thanks in advance for any info you may give.

I would say just try JBM ballistics. It's an online ballistics calculator (free). You can edit just about every detail you could conceivably account for. In your case yardage increments. If you'd like, instead of 50 yard increments, try 25, or even 10 if it suits you. After you have your data how you like it copy and paste it into a word document and print. This is what I do for reference chart.

There are several good apps out there that can give you accurate information for all yardages. I use the "shooter" app on my droid and It has the option of a chart which you can set in 10yd increments or a solution option where you can plug in any yardage, like 437yds, and it will give you the clicks you need. Its $10 and its worth the money.

There are several good apps out there that can give you accurate information for all yardages. I use the "shooter" app on my droid and It has the option of a chart which you can set in 10yd increments or a solution option where you can plug in any yardage, like 437yds, and it will give you the clicks you need. Its $10 and its worth the money.

Plus 1 on Shooter. OP, If you don't know your muzzle velocity , you can adjust the app get close by drop in mils moa and I think inches. Set up targets at 200 300 400 ect.. Take a note pad (data book) and write down your come ups at different distances also. Sounds like you have a great opportunity to get some good data on your rifle.

Go to youtube and search for Sniper 101 Part 64 Interpolation. Rex answers exactly the question you are asking.

These are all good answers by my estimation. That's one of the things I like about this online community. Most folks are willing to help those in search of answers. If I had your question, I'd watch Rex's video, invest in a ballistics solver (as mentioned above, they are not expensive), and shoot alot to confirm my dope.

You don't even need the "snipers" interpolation. Just look up "interpolation." It a very comm method used any time you are looking to obtain data between known values (using a minor assumption of course).

Next you can look up extrapolation and under stand how to get data just outside a known data set (not as reliable.)

Good luck

1) Interpolate. 400 to 450 is about 2 MOA more drop. 437 is 75% of the way from 400 to 450, so 75% of 2 is 1.5 . Dial in 9.8 and shoot and see what happens. Adjust if needed, then write it in your log book. You do have a log book? And build your own drop table.

2) Use one of the applications. Some will allow you to determine approximate muzzle velocity using the drop of a given bullet at a given range. Zero at 100 yards, find out drop at 300 yards, plug in, get MV. Then use MV in the same application to develop a drop table. Shoot to verify.