• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Probably weird question on smokeless powder

DanGuy48

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2012
Frederick, Md
So, I was just idly thinking about the way powder burns and the variation in the amount of air space in different loads, and therefore different amounts of oxygen available for combustion. It didn't seem like much so I was wondering, does smokeless powder, and the primer for that matter, contain a component that supports combustion? In other words, if a rifle was fired in a vacuum, assuming the cartridge had been evacuated of air, would it fire? I guess it could be fairly easily tested by charging a cartridge with nitrogen also. And yes, I was just day dreaming about how all of this would influence the shot.

Re: Probably weird question on smokeless powder

DanGuy,

Yes, both powders and primers contain oxidizers that will allow for combustion in an airless environment.

Answer the question?

Yeah, thanks. I'm surprised OCD accuracy nuts haven't tried gas charging of rounds to more tightly control combustion. Ever heard of anyone doing that?

Hello from Carroll country!

I didn't really search, but what I know from chem tells me that because powder is a propellant, it has loosely bound oxygens attached already which would cause it to burn. But also note that "burn" is microseconds and very little oxygen is consumed during this time anyways. The reason that this reaction takes place anyways is because the molecules of powder are such powerful catalysts that once activation energy is reached (primer ignite), the reaction wants to reach completion regardless of oxygen present.

Air is not needed. From SAAMI:
Oxygen from the air is not necessary for the combustion of smokeless
powders since they contain sufficient built-in oxygen to burn
completely, even in an enclosed space such as the chamber of a
firearm.
The oxygen is contained within the nitrocellulose.

Don't give 'em any ideas. Already too many useless gimmicks and pointless products to sap our wallets on the market already.

Now if you think of one that <span style="text-decoration: underline">I</span> can make money on, lemme know. In that case, I'm all ears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Now if you think of one that <span style="text-decoration: underline">I</span> can make money on, lemme know. In that case, I'm all ears. </div></div>

LOL, I hear ya! Thanks all.

And "Hi" to my Carroll County neighbor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't give 'em any ideas. Already too many useless gimmicks and pointless products to sap our wallets on the market already.

Now if you think of one that <span style="text-decoration: underline">I</span> can make money on, lemme know. In that case, I'm all ears. </div></div>

well said

I cant remember which ammo manufacturer it was but one of them fixed the whole air fuel mixture by adding a super charger to the bullet! It shows it right on the box. LOL

Rooster 931,

Was that the one from "The Naked Gun III", with Lt. Frank Drebin "surfing" on a complete loaded cartridge flying through the air?

That poster would'a been a lot funnier, if so many in the main stream media didn't actually believe that's what a weapon truly discharges when fired!