• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Problem -Rings too big for the rail

Buscadero

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Maine
Hi,
I have a Remington 308 SPS and I'm starting to upgrade it. I purchased a EGW Picatinny Rail and a set of Burris Extreme Tactical Rings. Problem is the rings won't tighten down enough to grip the rail. They appear about 1/16" wider than all my other rings. The rings don't fit any rail including my Bushmaster. Anyone have an answer? Thanks, Jim

Re: Problem -Rings too big for the rail

Em err, if it doesn't fit any Pic rails, maybe call Burris, would be my first guess.....and you won't like my second guess.

Bob

BobinNC
The inside spread of the Burris Mounts measure .860, the width of the picatinny rails measure .833. That's why they can't tighten.
I was curious if someone else has had this problem.
What's your second guess that I won't like.
Jim

I'm betting Poor quality control is the culprit here...

I had a set of the XTR rings a while back, and have since switch to badger because of the headache they caused. I'd return them and get a replacement set.

If you can, return the Burris and buy some real rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Busadero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BobinNC
The inside spread of the Burris Mounts measure .860, the width of the picatinny rails measure .833. That's why they can't tighten.
I was curious if someone else has had this problem.
What's your second guess that I won't like.
Jim </div></div>

Buy better rings and bases, to not have these problems. EGW and Burris are low priced for a reason, and outstanding QA is not among eithers virtues. Not knocking their products, as money is tight, but you generally get what you pay for.

This can be an expensive hobby, and companies like Badger Ordnance and Seekins Precision (just to name two) charge well over $100. for rings and bases (each) and it's not just because they are pretty.

Bob

BobinNC and all the others that replied with;
"Get better rings"
That's good advise.
Thanks
Jim

I respectfully disagree insofar as the EGW base is concerned. It is cheaper because it is extruded aluminum and not a machined piece of billet. I have had a few of them and NEVER had a problem. Burris rings on the otherhand...

Had one set of Burris XTR rings. Mine would not fit the rail either. Knocked the cross bolts out and found they where put in the ring wrong. The cross pins where at that time, not made square, but retangled. Sorry to say have trashed them and have been using TPS rings for sometime now. The prices are affordable. Have had great results, and will continue to use them. Badger Ordance are nice put pricy.

Remember, the .833" dimension you talked about really doesn't make a bit of difference, the opposing 45's are what you should be worried about. If your rings are only making contact with the outside edge of the rail(your .833") then you have problems.
John III

Your right, JBW#3, the 45's don't touch either. I don't expect or care if the radius are uniform, just using it as a base for my measurement.
thanks
Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wco24u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">............Sorry to say have trashed them and have been using TPS rings for sometime now. The prices are affordable. Have had great results, and will continue to use them. Badger Ordnance are nice put pricey. </div></div>

+1. Great rings, while still being economical.
wink.gif