• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with A10 cycling

Greg Jacobs

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Oregon
Need Help…. I have this friend (no really I have this friend) who has a .308 in the A10 config. He wanted to learn how to shoot long distance so I took him out and got him out to 600 yrds it took a couple of days but he was hittin’ 70% head shots at 600. That’s not my point, but during that two day the rifle ran like a top brand new and never a failure. The last couple of times we’ve taken it out it constantly either fails to feed, double feeds or failure to eject on about 80%. We changed the buffer and spring it helped a little but still not fixed. The only other thing I could think of, was try a new bolt or replace the gas rings on the old bolt. We did both…not difference. It seems like a timing thing but at this point I’m at a loss. Anybody have any suggestions?

Re: Problem with A10 cycling

A10? I assume you're talking about an Armalite AR10? Might need a little more info about the rifle but as far as the mis-feeds and double feeds that is more than likely magazine related. Swap the magazine with a new or known functional magazine and try again.

The failure to eject is the extractor claw or the extractor spring. Inspect the claw for damage and if it is then replace the extractor. Also there are inserts for the extractor spring that help.

The only way it's ever going to be a timing thing is if the gas hole is not drilled correctly. Too small and you get cycling problems, too large and you get premature unlocking of the bolt.

Also I'm curious as to what you changed the buffer/spring to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what pupdawg says....

its the little thing in life that'll screw you up </div></div>

AMEN!! Need some more details as pupdawg/bt stated.

I had that goin on with an AR10 and it was indeed the mag, worth a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbandy13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new pmags are very good in the ar-10.

mike
</div></div>

Except that they are <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span></span> for the AR-10.

Only Armalite makes an AR-10...everything else is just a semi-auto 308 of a different name whether it be the DPMS LR-308, the KAC SR-25, the POF P-308, etc., etc. Too many people use "AR-10" as a general term for any semi-auto 7.62/308 rifle and it really is both confusing and inaccurate.

The Magpul LR-20 PMAGs are for the DPMS/KAC pattern rifles and not for the AR-10.

To the OP...how about some more details on the rifle already?!?!

I just got a PM from the OP.

He was afraid of posting the maker of the "308 AR platform" as to not cause any problems... since he is relatively new.

SO I will tell everyone what the platform is: Larue OBR.

I still stick to my post above though. Failure to feed/ double feeding is mag related. Try the Pmags. He said he has ONE pmag... you need to have more, at least 3-5.
wink.gif

Also noted that failure to extract if indeed the user is using handloads he should also make sure that his sizing die is properly adjusted so it fully re-sizes the case. If using factory ammo then skip this.

Inspect the extractor claw for damage.

If this doesn't work then contact larue... they'll get you squared away for sure.

I got the same/similar PM. Apparently, the OP and his friend made different changes to the rifle including swaping bolts, mags, buffers/springs, etc. all to no avail.

My advice to him was to contact Larue and provide a detailed description of the problem, including the conditions under which they were experiencing problems (ammo, environment, etc.) so that they can get Mark and Co. to weigh in on the malfunctions. If they can't walk him through via phone/e-mail, then he needs to send it in for inspection/repair. No reason a factory produced, $3k rifle shouldn't function reliably.

My money is still on it being a mag and/or ammo issue.

There's nothing like ammo resized a bit big for the chamber, to make extraction/ejection an iffy thing.

They feed in just fine, but that's because of the reciprocating mass MASHING the case into the chamber. I had one rifle almost rip the extractor rims offa USGI cases this year. In fact, it *did* rip one clean off.

Quickest test is whether you can extract a live, mag-fed round manually, without resorting to the Uncle Sugar Pogo Stick trick I had to teach my son with the AR15 platform...

Just saying to check all the variables, even if it's doing it with factory ammo.

Failure to extract, the very first thing you do is install one of three different weights in the bolt.
If its cycling too fast and missing the pickup, that slows it down.

zfk55

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought A10s were 20mm not 308... </div></div>

7 30mm barrels.

oops... pushed the wrong buttom. 30mm versus 308.

Saw the plane with the gun alongside it in the WPAFB museum. Kinda cool.

BURRRRRRPPPPPPPP.

Check the gas port alignment of the gas block. If its off by just a hair it can cause short cycling and the aforementioned symptoms.

Rather then playing too much with it (Unless that is your thing), I would contact the manufacture and have them resolve the problem. Normally my spare time is at a minimum, and I would rather "play" then fix someone else's production problem (As I am not being paid to fix), but payed for something that should work..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check the gas port alignment of the gas block. If its off by just a hair it can cause short cycling and the aforementioned symptoms.</div></div>

what i was going to post, my shooting buddy had this happen to his DPMS