• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with AICS stock?

cjlane

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
So I just got into shooting and picked a Remington 700 XCR compact tactical and installed an AICS 1.5 stock. I took it out to shoot it for the first time today and the bolt was getting caught on the magazine. I could "bump" the bolt and it would feed.

When I installed the stock I did not have a torque wrench that would fit into the holes on the stock so I just snugged it up. Is it possible that it made it too tight and that is causing the feed problems? Thanks for your guys help.

Re: Problem with AICS stock?

With an empty magazine inserted, do you feel any resistance when cycling the bolt, or does the bolt glide freely over the magazine?

I wouldn't think slightly overtightening the action screws would have a noticeable effect. I can support the weight of the rifle with an empty mag, and the bolt still passes over it without rubbing.

Were you putting pressure on the mag when shooting? i.e resting it on bags or such. Was it both mags or just the 10 rd that did it?

I don't think you tightened it down to much given the torque specs are 58 to 65 pounds depending who you ask.

You might just have to tweak the feed lips on the mag.

I assume the stock was new when you bought it and the mag came with it?

I have had a 10 rd do this when putting pressure from below. I adjusted the feed lips and it runs fine now.

If you know someone with an AICS swap mags and see what happens.

Good luck! Curious how it turns out.

My simple suggestion is to install the chassis PROPERLY then see if you have a problem.

These are PRECISION rifles. Nothing precise about "just snugged it up".

Torque may not be your problem, but it's silly to try to run down other solutions until you have correctly installed the stock.

I had a friend pick up an AICS chassis and now has a problem with the bolt sticking after firing rounds (Federal Premium and Black Hills, no handloads). He said it didn't happen prior to the instillation. Did he torque something down too tight/wrong? Or is this the rifle? It's just a r700 sps-v 300 win mag. I have an AICS as well, but the rifle was built by a 'smith and I never took it off the rifle to experience this myself.

It happened with both magazines.

There was no weight on the magazine. The bolt will still cycle if I support the rifle by the magazine (empty) but I can hear by bolt sliding on the top of the magazine.

With an empty mag the bolt does go over freely, But it does get caught if I push up on the bolt slightly while trying to push it forward. And when shooting, the last 2 rounds in the mag, the bolt cycles much more smoothly.

The rifle and chassis are both new.

photo-2.jpg

Picture of bolt. You can see lines from contact. They wipe off and are not actual scratches

even though its a really nice beading block, you really should check all your clearances, its not a drop and go system if your bolt dragging, you mag sitting too high, your action screws are off, you blistered them down somethings not right. if your your using cheep mags it will give you a problem as well, my rig is not a AICS but it does use the mags, i have them and a few McRees mags, the work fine, i dropped a mag in a comp last year and my spotter handed me one of his, it was a sako trg mag, it wouldnt work??? cheep mags

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">even though its a really nice beading block, you really should check all your clearances, its not a drop and go system if your bolt dragging, you mag sitting too high, your action screws are off, you blistered them down somethings not right. if your your using cheep mags it will give you a problem as well, my rig is not a AICS but it does use the mags, i have them and a few McRees mags, the work fine, i dropped a mag in a comp last year and my spotter handed me one of his, it was a sako trg mag, it wouldnt work??? cheep mags </div></div>

Ill take a closer look to see if I can spot the problem. Cheap mags shouldnt be the problem, I use AICS mags.

Either the chassis or the receiver seems to be slightly out of spec dimensionally.

The rear action screw isn't really an issue. If the front screw is too long, it will contact the bolt lug in the lower lug recess, making the bolt handle difficult (or impossible) to raise/lower. Doesn't seem to be the case here, as this problem is occurring long before the bolt goes into battery.

It's not like dimensional issues with Remington receivers is unheard of. Look at all of the folks that have to bed their scope rails due to poor machining from the factory. In this case, we're talking about the bottom of the receiver instead of the top.

Personally, I'd look to the receiver before the chassis, as AI has a lot better quality control than Remington.

If you have access to another 700 barreled action, this would likely tell you where the problem is. If not, I'd consider taking it to a gunsmith at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My simple suggestion is to install the chassis PROPERLY then see if you have a problem.
</div></div>

I agree. First thing that came to mind was that you may have forgotten to take the stocksides off before torquing down the chassis.

Like LoneWolf said, a precision rifle is meant to be precise. You can not take shortcuts and expect the same results as one who took the time to assemble everything to spec.

Looks like the bolt is just picking up brass from the case in the pic above which is not a indication of a problem, the round in the mag is putting upward pressure on the bolt at all times. If you have the feed lips of the mag drag on the bolt with a empty mag, thats a issue.

Kirk R

Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know of reputable gunsmiths in my area? Or should I ship it out? Sorry as you guys can tell im new to this.

I have AICS chassis with BAT Tactical action and other nice parts. Rifle was built by Robert Gradous of Augusta, GA. Robert said neither the 5 nor 10 round magazine fit in the action smoothly. He said that it was not uncommon for magazine to fit poorly. He said he simply had to fine tuned the mags by grinding off parts of the mags that caused the poor funcionting. He said it was not uncommon for mags to require fitting by gunsmith for proper functioning

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjlane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know of reputable gunsmiths in my area? Or should I ship it out? Sorry as you guys can tell im new to this. </div></div>

PM sent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have AICS chassis with BAT Tactical action and other nice parts. Rifle was built by Robert Gradous of Augusta, GA. Robert said neither the 5 nor 10 round magazine fit in the action smoothly. He said that it was not uncommon for magazine to fit poorly. He said he simply had to fine tuned the mags by grinding off parts of the mags that caused the poor funcionting. He said it was not uncommon for mags to require fitting by gunsmith for proper functioning </div></div>

Good to know thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have AICS chassis with BAT Tactical action and other nice parts. Rifle was built by Robert Gradous of Augusta, GA. Robert said neither the 5 nor 10 round magazine fit in the action smoothly. He said that it was not uncommon for magazine to fit poorly. He said he simply had to fine tuned the mags by grinding off parts of the mags that caused the poor funcionting. He said it was not uncommon for mags to require fitting by gunsmith for proper functioning </div></div>

That is interesting.

I have three other chassis systems that use AICS magazines and 700 actions and none require modification of the magazines. If course I don't have an AICS at this moment (because that would just be too easy). The only AI systems in the shop at the moment are the AE MkII and AX308. Neither of which have any problems.